Dunelm

Insights into Dunelm

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Depressing and no work life balance

Work here at your peril! Some days we're good days and some bad but the bad were very bad. No work life balance. Expected to stay to finish jobs and workload of 3 people. Couldn't get holidays as requested. Click and collect system is a joke

Great place to work and really friendly team. I would of stayed but only left as I couldnt get more hours but great if you want a nice part time job. I would go back tomorrow.

Friendly. Rewarding. Amazing

Best company i have ever worked for, they take pride in their staff and can see they hold a lot of care for them. They will help in any way they need to and will always have an ear or shoulder for you.

Pros

Discount Rewards Friendly competition

Stressful & unprofessional

I worked here for 4 years in that time they have lost countless staff members. The management/manager is terrible. If you get on well with the manager and her too side kicks you'll do great but if you don't click id scary looking for another job, the amount of people I've seen pushed out is unreal. No one seems to be happy there, if I didn't need the job I'd have gone a long time ago but ots convenient for me.. id never recommend anyone to work here. Other stores maybe great but plymouth store is terrible!

Pros

Great discounts, close to the city centre

Cons

Poorly ran deliveries (no system, no set team) just unbox what you can and get it out. You get a hard time if you cant get it all done, Terrible management/manager so unprofessional, Not good work place if you have a family, Expected to work more than your contract weekly, Wages not always paid correctly

Fast paced working environment. always changing

Fast paced working environment that is alway changing. Benefits are fantastic pay is fair, altogether a good company to work for. Thoroughly recommend if you feel you can keep up

Pros

Good pay Quick days Good discount

Cons

Can be very busy Not all colleagues are given equal tasks

Not worth it

customers are the worst that come in and treat you like you aren’t human other workers are alright just don’t tell them anything cause secrets go round like a pack of sweets it is hard work cause you’re constantly on your feet with that saying you only get a half an hour unpaid break even if your working a nine+ hour shift manager picks favourites and everyone talks about it

Pros

15% discount

Cons

Customers, favouritism, repetitive

Everyone act like school children.

Management pick favourites and you will be singled out if they don't like you. Get yelled at if they see you talking to one another for even a second but will always stand around themselves talking. Everyone seems to hate each other and will constantly slag each other off. Management are only nice when they want to sweeten you up before asking you to do more hours.

Pros

Decent pay if you have good enough hours. Holiday pay.

Cons

Alot of back stabbing, long hours, no appreciation for your work.

Fun work place

Great staff thay are More like a family.. all so helpfull look out for each other great atmosphere.. a good work balance opportunities to grow and learn

Would not recommend

I worked there for 3 years and it was a great place to work up until this year. It’s so unorganised and management don’t care about the staff, no work life balance and there is a huge turnover in staff meaning no one is trained enough to carry out tasks. The training is minimal and then staff are blamed for not knowing what to do.

Pros

Colleagues are nice

Cons

Management is awful

Fun

Was a fun and exciting place to work. Great team. I very much enjoyed my time at dunelm. Lots of rewards and staff benefits. Would highly recommend Dunelm

Great team

Great team to work for. Ideal for collage students as can work around you work. Get to meet a lot of different people of all ages from staff to customers.Only thing I'd say is you can go to a max of 24hours with out becoming a team leader and you really alot on over time to boost you income so can very every month.

Pros

Great team

Cons

Not enough hours.

Nice place to work in, good friendly colleagues and managers, good pay for 17 year old.

Good place to work in, the hourly pay is really good especially for young people. They hired me when I had no experience which meant allot to me because nobody was hiring people with no experience so this shown that they believed in me.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Sometimes boring

Awful management

The management make it a very toxic place to work. They have clear favourites and if you aren’t one of them your job is always at risk.You can do all the favours in the world for them but they don’t respect you and will get rid of you if they don’t like you

Pros

Cons

Long hours. Toxic and lazy management

Don’t be fooled

If you have children i wouldn’t even bother applying they want people to work long hours do multiple jobs and give no thanks.Managerment are a joke dont listen and don’t care.If you suffer with any mental health long term illness dont bother either.They just dont care, don’t listen, put stress amd pressure, make you feel useless at times, speak to you like you rubbish.

Pros

discount

Cons

nobody listens

Miserable

The management were very cold and created an atmosphere which isolated staff and made them feel uncomfortable to talk to one and other. Holidays would be rejected up to a year in advance. I would struggle to find a job more boring than working at dunelm.

Pros

Sociable working hours

Cons

Cold management, can’t get holidays approved, bad atmosphere, poor pay

Don’t work here if you value your mental health

Despite Dunelm’s partner charity being mental health the way they treat their employees is disgusting. Very quick overturn in staff, always understaffed. You will work to the bone and will be under appreciated and greeted with more problems. Horrible environment full of bullying and manipulation. There’s some lovely hard working people here and will soon probably leave due to this horrific management.

Pros

Cons

Stress

Unhealthy work environment

The managers in this store have the worst management style I have ever seen. If you enjoy being manipulated into working extra time, changing shifts at the last minute and working the job of 6 people for 1 wage then this is the job for you! I have been sworn at and had my mistakes (lack of training) called out by the store management on multiple occasions both to my face and over headsets for everyone to hear, as well as hearing other colleagues receive the same treatment over headsets. The store has only been open since December and there has been a turnover of over 30+ staff which doesn’t seem to be questioned. You will be scrutinised for your work but given no guidance on how to improve it. Dunelm’s charity partner is the mind mental health charity however If you tell them that you’re struggling with mental health you will not be asked if you are okay, you will not be asked how you can be supported, you will not be adapted for in any way, instead you are now a burden to them and will be managed out the door accordingly. You will be rostered in for midnight finishes during promo changes etc for the clock to strike midnight and be told you can’t leave. On one occasion I was there until almost 2am (unpaid from 12) and was due to start again at 7am. I was not allowed to leave. Shift patterns are not rotated so if your allocated shift is a Saturday late shift, you will work every single Saturday night with no option to swap or rotate with other colleagues. Colleagues can nominate each other for colleague or the month, but if you have the most votes on the board don’t think -

Petty stressful and unfair

Petty managers, favourites get better treatment and talking down to you.Please dont work here if you are a good person. Only half hour lunch where as other places you get an hour with intense work.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, short break

Appalling and depressing

You are treated as a commodity, not a person. You are always expected to do the job of 4-5 people whilst the managers sit in their office all day. Managers will either micromanage your every move or completely ignore you when you ask for help and they never discuss what they want employees to do with each other, so each manager will give you a different job. Requests for time off or to reduce the amount of hours you are doing are ignored. They tell you how great their profits are every day, then tell you they don't have enough hours to get you help so you're always understaffed and overworked. Managers also never have your back if a customer complains, they will back down the moment a customer starts up and offer refunds and gift cards making us look like the bad guys for following policy. Upper management apparently have no idea how an actual store works and will parade in and complain that an open store that is currently being shopped in isn't spotless. Everyone only cares about looking good on paper. E receipts are relentlessly pushed and if you don't get enough, you get a disciplinary!

Pros

Minimum living wage

Cons

Overworked and underpaid

Fast paced workplace

Worked here for about a week on an 8 hour temp contract. The duty managers were friendly and so were the co-workers. You get no official training and despite being 17 and my contract being 8hrs I was made to work 34hrs in my first week with 8-9hr days despite asking for my hours to be lowered as I was not able to keep up the work-life balance. Being a temp, you aren’t entitled to furlough pay (if we were to go into another lockdown) aswell as not being entitled to holiday or discounts until the 13th week of working there (I was a 12 week temp). Overall if you’ve had a job before, I’d recommend it but don’t recommend for a first job, especially during the summertime as a lot of people leave.

Pros

Pay, friendly co-workers and duty managers

Cons

Extremely long hours, poor work-life balance and the store manager

Poorly managed

The management of the store is diabolical. Constant rota changes without notifying beforehand on days you aren’t contracted on, when it comes to sorting this out you get no reply via message or a snotty message explaining to not message them on their days off. Speak to staff disgustingly and show lack of appreciation for staff. If you’re a new starter you’ll have no chance of being anywhere other than on the door which you can expect to be stood there for hours on end even though rules comply it must be rotated every 2 hours. You can pretty much expect to walk on eggshells as any mistake you may make will get highlighted in the work group chat amongst the rest of the colleagues in an indirect manner instead of consulting the colleague privately - very professional. I’ve never seen so many staff members leave in such a short space of time since new management came. Unless you want to go to work feeling anxious avoid this place.

Pros

Bonuses

Cons

Long hours, rota changes, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dunelm. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement