Durham County Council

Durham County Council Employee Reviews

Project Manager and project lead very supportive.Caring atmosphere.Ongoing training.Trying to move with the times i.e. new building, work from home.Implementing best tools to manage work.Poor management of a particular business are allowed it to lag behind.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Old building, poor lighting, lifts don't work properly. Caring of staff a priority.
really enjoyed my time wirh Durham county coucil they were a great company could approach management at anytime they would help you were they could just a problem emmbracing care took over supported housing
Pros
no pros
Cons
good pay
Enjoy my work for durham county council, enjoy learning from my manager and charge hand, got kept on right through untill the start of the grass cutting this time, I really appreciated it, I only wish I had been there at 20 years old instead of going to an awful foundry and wwasting my whole working life, but thats life.
Pros
Good outside healthy job, Good set of lads to work with
Cons
Some days are hard work, Make no mistake, But dont want to work any where else.
The best job I could have hoped to be in upon my retirement. I loved every single day. Both members and officers were totally committed to providing excellent services for the people of County Durham.
I really did enjoy my job and honestly i was very grateful to work with an amazing team. The caretaker who is so good at his job. He made me feel this sense of belonging and it was difficult when i was leaving due to moving house.
Overall job satisfaction, I have worked for the council since leaving School. The job role gives you the flexibility to go between different department exploring other avenues.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Have to plan holidays two years in advance
Durham county council is a joke. I worked on the highways department as a sub contractor for 19 months, I showed I could do the job better then their own council employees, I asked for 11 months for a council contract but they done nothing they always said there wasn’t anything going even though I knew lads who worked there who told me otherwise. They advertise all highways operatives and construction operatives jobs in-house so you can’t apply for them which I asked about because not everyone is getting equal rights/equal opportunities if you can’t apply. They would rather see you out of work then give you a contract, they depend on to many apprentices just to save money what they say they don’t have even though they’ve always got about 50+ cars/vans etc parked in the yards doing nothing.
Pros
Good pension. 37 hours weekly. Winter overtime.
Cons
Management. Dependability. Job security. Constantly lied to.
Re Covid 19, as an employee I felt valued, informed and safe. Team communication is out standing with work, either sharing knowledge and information and giving guidance or just keeping the team morale up.
Pros
Positive enviroment
Lots of bullying and people losing their jobs because of being bullied. Management are too weak to stop the bullies and a lot of people have been forced to leave because the management are either too afraid or just don’t care that people are being treated so badly that they can no longer walk through the door. This is the place where families get their children and cousin and aunty a job. Beware
Enjoyed all my years working for them, they have a exceptional standards which they expect their careers to work to, which in turn leads to a very high level of care given and work ethics.
Job was stressful. Too many different tasks involved in the one job which meant you were constantly 'spinning plates' and hopping from one task to another. Colleagues and Line Manager were friendly and supportive which helped tremendously.
Would still have worked in care but care home was closed down. Thoroughly enjoyed my job. Plenty of courses for training which you don't find in the private sector.
The staff and environment are second to none, such a lovely place to work and at a casual work rate which was exactly what I was looking for. 100% recommend
Well run with approachable management and mostly good staff.salaries are in line with national guidelines ,paid promptly and direct to bank at all times.
Smooth running throughout, cannot recommend enough. They have a great attitude to getting the best people in as short a time is possible, same day out turnarturnaround t
Pros
prompt administration of documents and wages
Cons
workplaces sometimes difficult to reach on public transport
Unfortunately another company that abuse their position with casual staff, either agency or contract staff being the norm. Helps if you know someone come interviews who is in a higher position. Because other interviewee's will and they'll get the job.
Having secured a fixed term contract with DCC from working as a ten with MTrek, I was unfortunately not given anything permanent due to a restructuring project. I adored my job and would have loved to have stayed
Pros
Close to home, lots of job difference
Cons
Manager was awful. She had no people management skills and, as I’ve trained, coached and mentored for over 11 years, I found her rude, abusive and unprofessional
Very relaxed working environment. Used to have great amenities for staff. Good holidays Average pay scale. You are quickly made aware of how much money the Council waste on pointless exercises.
was always busy plodding about doing alsorts of differant tasks,head teacher was a pleasure to work with,staff were also pleasure to work along side verry freindly
can not fault this employment this now have been now 2 years off and on an this employ am hoping to get back next year i enjoy in this work environment
Senior management promoted before they are ready therefore more experienced staff are obliged to do their work. Still a sexist organisation with more men promoted than women.
Pros
Cons
Expected to work many hours over. Dated systems.