Earthwise Construction Ltd.

Working at Earthwise Construction Ltd.: 31 Reviews

Good company to start in

Liked the people I got to work with, some locations were a bit out of the ways, but got compensated for travel. If they were hiring I would go back.

great place to learn

If you want to be home in early afternoons and need experience on equipment this might be a good fit for you. Possibility of working snow removal is also there.

Pros

great management

Cons

light work load

Great for summer, pay is good vs experience. Personale are decent and treat you with respect. Long hours in summer which equals good cheques. No guarantee of winter work. Which makes it hard.

Pros

Usaully lots of work in spring, summer and fall.

Cons

Dont always get the whole long weekend off. No guarentee of winter work.

Unpleasant

Not exactly a walk in the park. Angry management and ownership. Treat people quite poorly. A lot of standard fare when it comes to employees, workers, slackers, junkies, etc. Some great people as well, but a sketchy place overall.

Every one generally get along.

I enjoyed working there It's seasonal so staying there full time is next to impossible. But that being said that do snow removal in the off season so there is some opportunity for work depending on the wether of cores.

Pros

A lot of overtime.

Cons

It's seasonal so you get a layoff in the fall

Fast paced, difficulty with organization

Worked a short season with this company They run a fast paced work environment. They are safety oriented, the pay is great definitely one of the best in Edmonton. The only problem I had was organization from the very top down. My foreman was great but it seemed like an uphill battle daily for our crew to have the tools, equipment and man power we needed.

Pros

Pay, safety, hours

Cons

Organization lacking

Shared Ownership

Too many owners (hands on) but plenty of hours and possibly even some opportunities.. things go from lots of work to where did the work you promised us go. Good Luck.

day of work

fast pace work is outside work in days can get realy hot, to the point where you feel very exhusted. it also requires lots of lifting, bending over walking all day long from one place to an other. for management it was no't the best in times can be rude but overall it was ok.

Great working environment, Amicable supervision

Only worked a short few months with them, however it was an enjoyable few months. Great foreman and excellent bunch of guys working together to get the job done safely and on time.

Pros

DONT waste your time here.

This company has no respect for anyone. The owners are clueless on how to run a construction company. No matter how hard you work it means nothing. It's a joke outfit, when you apply for a position you will be doing somthing totally different then what you apply ed for. If you want to be treated like a number, put down, not appreciated then this is a perfect company to work for.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Terrible leaders

Joke of a company.

I would not recommend working for this company. They are all talk with no actual backbone. They hired a group of people just to fire more than half of them in the same week, keeping only people who management personally liked regardless of their experience or job quality. Quality of work absolutely does not matter as long as your foreman favors you. They say no shouting policy but you get yelled at left and right. So if you want job security, I would say run away as fast as you can on the other direction of this company because they WILL leave you hanging dry.

Pros

Cons

Very poor management

Managers with no hearts

I suggest nobody works here if they don't want to be treated like a number, they don't care about there employees. They like to say they have fired you after you quit because you were sick of being treated like dirt... Sometimes field guys who move up to management should not buy a company and think they can run it... run it too the ground is more like it....

Pros

social committee, decent pay for field guys, great guys in the field

Cons

liars, backstabbers, cheats, horrible ownership

Earthwise was not a bad place to work, I saw it fare.

I worked for the company in 2011 as a Project Manager and saw no unfairness. The ownership always extended help as needed. I was given the opportunity to speak my professional opinion without recourse. The foreman and crews that worked with me on my projects always had the opportunity to elevate. I write this review as a personal view while employed.

Fast paced work environment

This company requires one to be adaptable and willing to increase your knowledge on an ongoing basis. The various tasks required for different days allows one to constantly expand their skills.

No matter how hard you work it is not good enough

I have 26 years in the industry and this place was ok for the first day I was warned by the employees and foremen that the owner was a real piece of work, and this was true then they put some operator with no people skills as a foreman his first day all he did was put others down I was shocked he was saying what he did to me. Then he said we could do better in time as our production was slow. I dug all threw my breaks and they could not lay pipe fast enough to catch up to me all of us worked as hard as we could but never was enough. So on day 7 I quit and went to there competition and I tell you what a difference in management I get treated so much better and my input matters there. The foremen at the new place is the best love it there. Found a home not a rental.....

Pros

poor leadrship

Cons

poor leadership

lots of learning in this field of work,

enjoyable working environment, fast pase, lots of opportunity, lots of different types of work, new learning opportunities, ability to move up the ladder

overall company

There a joke and a poor excuse of a company. Very unorganized and do not know how to treat there employees. Lack communication. Not enough jobs to keep crews going all year etc... I would highly recommend not working for these guys. If you do you'll find out the hard way.

Pros

Cons

too many to list

First hand experience

I been with Earthwise for 5 years. I started off from a hand shovel. Was given The chance in a skidster and was able to grow from that to a loader. Then was showen how to read grades stakes and blueprints and use of a level and a tape measure. Even ran a paver for a bit. If ur willing to take the time to learn they will take the time to guide u and train you. And when u read the bad reviews is usally people who didn't take the time to learn there way of doing things or have an open mind on how thing work hear. Or were to unsafe in how our work procedure is and was to frustrated to learn it. Like I sayed I been hear and started off on a hand shovel and now am a base Forman with a awsome crew that 90% of the time have a smile and a great additude at work. But really what company in this road building world ur happy 100% of the time really?

Pros

Great place to expand ur career

Cons

Sad to say long hrs but hey we only get 120-130 days a year to build a road or two

Poor management, poor equipment , sad company

Too bad one of the owners has to come on here and tell you how great his company is by pretending to be an employee in the last review..lol

Pros

After 8 hours ot, be your own boss

Cons

Poor management, faulty equipment

Awesome environment, Great, easy going management, always treated with the up most respect!

Great place to work, always on the move(which I love), Friendly staff and crews all around. Always try's to teach their new hires the safest ways to do tasks, and will not force people to do something if they unsure of the task and it will provide help to do the task. Saftey is always top priority. Great wage and always pay according to task/position and experience, Benefits according to office policy. I have always gotten time off as needed with ample notice to my foreman or supervisor(s). Never any problems that haven't been dealt with promptly(work site/safety/people). Very positive atmosphere. If there is a break down, the mechanics are on it ASAP and generally is fix in a few hours to couple days, but if so the company has always had a back up plan. The management work very hard to keep everyone happy and is quick to resolve any issues that may occur. Work smarter not harder. I seen a lot of disgruntled posts below and is very unfortunate. My experience of watching people come and go is, usually people it made it tough on themselves, they should have ask for help, instead of trying to tough out what ever the issue may have been, there is great support here but many don't take advantage and try to suck it up. Sure some days are tough. But there is many more easy going days then slow or rough days. You get what you put into it and my experience has been remarkable, learned lots in the field and in the office, even feel like at a families house when I show up everyday. Your a person and not number and as you will be treated at Earthwise.

Pros

Good people, outside, willing to teach, help each other, Saftey.

Cons

Winter comes

Hard Work, But Rewarding

I've worked here for many years and never had negative issues with senior management, supervisors, or foremen. They set a good example for employees by giving 100% of themselves and they're not afraid to get their hands dirty and pitch in when it's required to get the job done. And I know they will support me if I make a decision in the interest of health and safety. And ownership has given me an opportunity to provide for my family and give them a good life. What I've learned from working here is: Life is what you make it...an honest day's work is rewarded with an honest day's pay. I don't feel like I'm owed something because I have knowledge and experience. I have to go out there every day and prove that I'm competent and that I'm a willing team player, for my own self worth and pride in my work. The hardest part of the job is the long working hours at the time of year when there are a lot of other interesting things to do and places to go. But that is the sacrifice of working in this industry in this province. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. Construction workers are the best, and it's been a pleasure to know and work with many people from different places and cultures and ideas without judgments or prejudices.

Pros

Social events, room for advancement

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Earthwise Construction Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • Earthwise Construction Ltd.