East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Like most jobs working for this trust has its up and downs. I think you need to be a certain type of person to work for this trust. The benefits are great, good pay, good holiday and pension. The people not so great. I would say management have no clue what they are doing. If you want to get anywhere, the best thing to do would be to brown nose. Not something I am fond of doing myself. It's very political, very gossipy and too many fingers in the pie. Patients I have dealt with personally have been lovely. However, I would say Pathology is a lovely department, with really lovely and friendly staff.
The problem within the Trust are coursed by a poor management. Unexperienced people, with no knowledge who's only aim is to tick a boxes and not willing to improve processes. Small team with 3 managers - waist of our money. People have their places even before the interview - the interview is just formality. Managers does not willing to listen the front line staff and support them during the improvement processes. Team meetings - what is that? Staff are not allowed to share their thoughts, views and problems which are experienced because of non-working processes. We have no right to speak up or complain and if we dare to do so HR is not there for us - HR is for the managers. The staff turnover is huge in this Trust. I am feel very sorry for all the patients and tax payers seeing how their money are wasted on band 8 which are doing nothing.
Pros
Cons
Extremely bad management in all department, poor communication, no support from HR, just a mess.
I worked there for just over a year. As a assistant healthcare scientist in the lab. Supervisors were rude, power hungry and would be the cause for most problems. Supervisors wouldn’t work, would treat members of staff like they were children. They would follow you to the toilets to ask where you was going, you weren’t allowed to leave the lab even if there were sufficient staff available. Staff would talk behind your back and management would not listen or help if you raised a problem. Being treated like a child in the work place is not the experience I wanted. Not being able to get a drink or other human rights, are stripped when you enter the environment. Staff turn around is constant as so many people leave the role quickly, some stay forever. These are the ones who cause problems. Not recommended
Pros
Cons
Shift work, unorganised, supervisors on a power trip
The actions of management ruin everything about working here. My actual team were (almost) all, pretty wonderful people. The Band 8s have little accountability as their managers tend to be very busy people with more than one role. They are left unchecked. Favouritism, back stabbing and brown nosing. If you are the current target, it will feel even your breathing and the way you stand is wrong eventually.There are some brilliant managers, but they have to work with some truly awful people. Be careful who you share your concerns with. Occupational Health are great - HR are to be avoided as much as possible. Let your work speak for yourself. Do not indulge in the gossip. Find those colleagues who make you smile. If you find yourself in an uncomfortable 1 on 1, you have the right to say you will only continue with representation, and leave (Also, Please sign up to a Union!)
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Disgraceful, under qualified 'Leaders'
Worked as a hca. The girls I worked alongside were amazing. We helped each other and we worked so hard to ensure our patients were well looked after and at the same time kept each other going. Management however a joke sometimes making us run 3 clinics at a time and sending people to other sites last minute! Favouritism too on who they chose
Pros
Wonderful staff on the floor
Cons
Management poor
If your face fits and you tow the line, you'll fit in. If you speak up and challenge, prepare to be miserable. Terrible management. They'll only back each other. Bullying rife and allowed to continue unchecked. Jobs easy to come by if you are related to someone else who works there, or are in favour with management.
Pros
Hard working staff
Cons
I have always felt that it is an honour to be able to care for others when they need care most. I have worked with some wonderful human beings and some not so wonderful.
Pros
Lovely colleagues and patient’s
Cons
HCAs are not fully appreciated for what they do by senior management.
Health records clerk Canterbury hospital- awful job, cramped depressing conditions, boring work, new manager transferred from another site who sits in her office with the door shut - no communication skills at all- doesn’t care about her team- talks to staff like dirt - lots of time wasting going on- very bad all round - Avoid
I would recommend it to everyone I learnt about working with people People management Training students Caring for women during pregnancy, childbirth and the post natal period Having my own caseload of pregnant women
EKHUFT is plagued by a terrible bullying culture, favouritism and far too much middle management. They couldn't organise a teddy bears picnic let alone delicate, life saving operations. Managers run the service like a business and patients are just numbers to them, not people. Advancement opportunities are a joke unless you brown nose. Horrible organisation.
Budget was to low but upper management bullied staff to get work done Now 2 gether solutions even worst cannot manage staff . untrained upper management doing jobs that require experience
I have worked at the trust for over 11 years and I have seen and heard things no one should experience in the work place. From the bullying to victimisation it starts at the top and filters down through staff member to staff member. And best of all it is accepted. If you challenge the so called we care values you get disciplined, or bullied even more. I wouldn't work here myself if I had the choice, and I know for a fact the reason for being so over stretched is the trust management bully the employees to resignation and then moan they have no staff. Only for the new recruits to be beaten down like their predecessors. Totally unacceptable and the management should be held accountable for their actions. We care values, you must be joking, dont care values more like.
Pros
Front line staff
Cons
Management, disgrace
I have worked here for over 20 Years . the staff have always been supportive and great to work with . Over the years we have had many changes to deal with and most of them have not been supported by management . I love my job but it has been made difficult to do with staff shortages and bad management
Kent and Canterbury hospital is a very busy hospital. It is very friendly and welcoming to both staff and patients. The hospital strives to ensure patients have a positive experience whilst undergoing their treatment. It is an equal opportunities employer and takes care of their staff.
Pros
Job satisfaction and team work.
Cons
Can be stressful as very busy.
Working in admin can be diverse and there can be new challenges which crop up on a daily basis. It can be a nice working environment. The hardest part of the job is having to be competitive. It is a busy environment and you have to stay on your toes so no slacking off until your lunchbreak.
Pros
no overtime
Amazing patients some supportive staff but on the whole badly managed, bullies, lack of structure and extremely poor staff morale especially among band 2s . If the unit had a different ward manager it would help no end .
If you care about what you do, the standards to which you perform, the service you provide your patient, do NOT work here. Management treat their staff as commodities, and their patients as statistics. I loved my job working here, but was eventually worn down by the management culture, who discouraged independent thought, or suggestions for improvement. Staff were not encouraged to collaborate, which caused a divisive culture. Working above and beyond does not matter here, indeed for myself it was very much frowned upon. Upon leaving, no-one wanted to learn why.
Pros
Your colleagues.
Cons
Poor management, poor working environment, staff not listened to.
A typical day at work can be satisfactory. Workplace culture not so good. The hardest part of my job is constantly justifying myself being blamed for things that weren't my fault I cant say I enjoy working in this role/department. What I can do is reflect on the positives. The previous roles/departments I worked in have been really good I thoroughly enjoyed working for the NHS prior to the present dept. It all depends on who you work with, you could enjoy the job but someone could ruin that and make your work life a misery.
Pros
annual Leave benefits
Cons
I would say nothing prior to the present - Bullying & Harrasment
It is hard work and the pay does not encourage you to work as part of the nhs. but you have to see beyond that and if you are a caring person who wants to feel like they are making a difference it is worth it.
Staff members are considered just numbers and easily replaced. The organisation makes unreasonable changes to staff contracts and expect staff to change base when they see fit.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Do not work in the Pharmacy department. The management are only there for their own good, and will make life as hard for you as possible. A lot of the staff are off with stress.
Pros
None.
Cons
No support from senior management.