East Lancashire Hospitals

East Lancashire Hospitals Employee Reviews

United Kingdom20 reviews

Stressful work for the banding of the job role

Good job security Stressful environment Not much training in the job role, thrown in at the deep end after very basic induction period which can lead to feeling overwhelmed and no support provided by management to help with this.

Lack of support and training

Being new to the trust and nhs, plus with it being a new ward, I would have expected more support and training however this was not the case. I was thrown in at the deep end without the systems or equipment required. Even though the manager knew I was struggling they didn't try to help me get systems etc in place and they didn't 'know what a ward clerk does'. I was left with no choice but to leave as I had to think of my own health. There were some lovely people there but unfortunately the minority spoilt it.

Pros

Some nice colleagues and patients

Cons

Poor management and lack of support

Insights into East Lancashire Hospitals

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

stressful, busy, unsupportive management

stressful, busy, unsupportive management. Unable to offer the support required for a long term health condition which led to prolonged illness and made working life difficult

Very busy but lovely people

I have worked at the hospital a long time and the best thing about it is the teamwork and the people you meet from consultants, doctors, porters, secretaries & everyone. It is a very busy environment most days but you get used to it. Very good job security, once you have a job there are good opportunities to advance if you want to.

Pros

Plenty of choice in the canteen, good atmosphere

Cons

Some jobs are long hours and parking can be a problem sometimes

Lovely team work

People in general is very helpful and even though everybody works at very fast-paced they will always find the time to help if you need help. Management is always attentive to your needs but they cannot always make changes to support you. In the administrative part, not clinical, processes are very old-fashioned and therefore most of the knowledge is amongst the people and not documented properly.

Good

Good company to work for. Opportunity to upskill. Was possible to have work/ life balance. No issues with A/L- very understanding manager. Very professional .

Pros

Chances to upskill

Cons

Workload

Never work here!

The management don't care about their staff at all. The team as a whole are great, work their socks off and will help anyone. Unfortunately due to a lack of support from management staff morale is at an all time low. The CQC visited this department years ago and decided the unit was never to be escalated as an inpatient unit. A few weeks later it was escalated and probably has been ever since. The staff are expected to look after medical patients they know nothing about. Sort out those discharges without having access to a doctor as well as look after the surgical patients that should be there. It's in a theatre envoy so really impractical to have impatients there over night. If only management would stand up for the team this wouldn't happen and the team wouldn't be so stressed/depressed! Management are also more bothered about the colour of your socks than the level of patient care!

Pros

Staff team are great

Cons

Management are useless

Typical nhs dgh

Not specific to the hospital. The ups and downs of the job are the same as working elsewhere in the NHS. Minimal internal politics though. Worth working here.

Good place to work.

It's good place to work with new experience and one who would like to work as a team in a friendly environment.You can see many patients ,visitors everyday.

enjoyable and rewarding

each day is different and the job satisfaction is when you deliver your job role and are appreciated by the patients makes it all worth getting up in the morning... there is always enhancement of your knowledge learning new techniques and communicating your views.

Pros

there is an on sight canteen which is great

Cons

can take a while to get from one side of the hospital to the other

Excellent place to work

An excellent place to work and develop as a professional, working in a multidisciplinary environment. The organisation has a very supportive network that ensure that workplace culture is as best as it could be.

Pros

work alongside a multidisciplinary team

Cons

stressful

Busy trust

Great teams to work with. Opportunities for progression frequently arise. Facilities for staff breaks are good and has a canteen of joy meals are preferred. Expensive to park

Cons

Paying to park and queuing to get in

You will gain good experience

An excellent working environment with friendly and experienced staff. There is Variety of cases that will encourage you to learn more and gain further experience.

good job

good job, great benefits, good pension. nice people to work with. Day is normal, you have a proper plan which you need to follow, you have a support from your supervisors.

good learning environment

Good scope for learning and development. Good range of cardiology areas to rotate around. Large geographigal area to cover a wide range of patients. Attached to good teaching hospitals Good support from management Good courses offered Good practice educators

Pros

flexible working

Cons

fast moving and exciting workplace

My experience within emergency medicine gave me confidence to work autonomously and lead others in a busy environment. I relished the challenge to bring forward my previous skills and develop new ones.

Pros

skill development

Cons

not having enough time with patients ( totally personal view)

Worked here for 8 years, great place where all areas of staff work extremely hard, very high pressures but requirements met to meet the patients needs.

Pros

staff

Cons

cant park

Productive and Rewarding

Very busy atmosphere and fast paced work. I learnt a lot about pharmaceuticals and patient care. The management was made up of a strong team with an organised training scheme and my co-workers were efficient and helpful. The hardest part of the job was the amount of work set in a day but I managed to complete it just fine, also I enjoyed the challenge, also not knowing which hospital you would be based at . The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to do things on my own after training and being able to train other new starters my self.

Pros

Being part of a team.

Cons

Having to give up some weekends and working all week/ weekend

A supportive environment with great team spirit

I have been working for the nutrition and dietetics department for over 4 years now and I believe that the department and it's colleagues work and combine well together. We are able to support, share knowledge and skills, adapt and improve systems and advice in order to meet guidelines, new evidence and to meet the needs of patients and clients as a whole approach.

Pros

Great team working

Cons

Lack of capcity to be able to develop further due to departmental fuinding cuts, too much travelling by car to and from bases

Varied and Interesting workplace with commendable self development initiatives

Typically the day would start by loading up the computers and appointment booking programmes. Picking up any messages. The post would arrive which would then need sorting and distributing to relevant departments which included GP team, Podiatry, Treatment Room Nurses, District Nurses, Pharmacy. All the while manning a busy reception greeting patients, enquiries and booking appointments. It would be my responsibility to ensure that confidential patient records were kept up to date and presented to the correct department when necessary. Typing up of correspondence on a daily basis for the above mentioned services. Anything relating to the building would be my responsibility. Contacting the relevant contractors for any faults etc and liaising with the necessary people. I started work within this job role following an NVQ placement, this is the only role i have known. I have picked up many skills following my time there and have also come to realise that my customer service skills are of a high standard. I have learned that I thrive on teamwork and being a valued member, where i have freedom to put forward ideas. The hardest part of my job was the size of the team. Because we were such a small team (4 members in total) covering two sites, it was not possible for team meeting/touching base. I feel this made the overall team efficiency and morale suffer. The most enjoyable part of my job was feeling of making a difference. I enjoy working with the public and going that extra mile to help out, where possible. I enjoy problem solving and seeing the rewards -

Pros

Varied, Good Hours, Good annual leave entitlement

Cons

Inadequate cover, Low team morale

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Lancashire Hospitals. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare East Lancashire Hospitals with

• East Lancashire Hospitals
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?