East Lothian Council

East Lothian Council Employee Reviews

Worked here for 5 years. Every day is a new day with ELC. It's a great company to work for if they gave back what you give in and looked after their staff more closely. Work is fabulous can't fault it but I can fault the support.
Pros
Wage, holidays, work colleagues
Cons
Unsupportive management
The back biting incompetence and lack of management is horrific. The are all scared of the day they have never seen and don't yet realize how incompetent they actually are because no one ever truly holds them to account.
although it was long shifts the work was varied and interesting attending alarm activations in the county and meeting different emergency services staff, also working with a great bunch of staff in the CCTV suite.
Pros
good amount of holidays
Cons
Great place to work, made amazing friends and worked collaboratively with other departments to support people living in East Lothian. I felt support throughout my time at ELC
As above, the job is easy and straightforward not the most intertwine or challenging but all the staff I’ve worked with have been interesting & fun. There’s not much room to advance from what I can see.
Bad place to work was not worth it, terrible people work there, pay is not enough for working in such a stressful environment, none of the computers are up to date and are all very slow
Worked in education and fitted well when my children were young as had all the holidays so no childcare. Interesting but limited advancement as a classroom assistant.
Worked 5 days a week loved every day of it we would work from 3 until 8 at night everyone is super friendly and they are a great team to work beside. Wouldn’t change the work at all
Working as a supply teacher has proved to be a very challenging position as there are a wide range of different situations that a teacher can not be prepared for.
Pros
School holidays
Being based in Haddington you have access to all of the councils facilities and staff. Working in customer services you must have a broad knowledge on what the council offers to members of the public and there's is always opportunities to expand your knowledge through work shadowing or online courses specially developed by the council.
No real advancement, managers don't know what they are doing all just a box ticking exercises. You get no help when needed, very stressful. No job security.
Pros
Cons
Heavy work load
It is a lovely job working with school children something i have not done before and i really enjoy the job i just wish i had more hours in a day and i wish i could be cooking in the school i work
Pros
working with children
Cons
not enough hours
I learned that I am good at working with people,helping other people and working very hard. I found the hardest part of the job was making the food and preparing the food;you had to do everything in a certain way,or you would of had to start again.I enjoyed talking to the elderlys and keeping them happy.I liked working at this company because everyone is happy and everything is organised.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Medium hours
enjoyed my work here as it was good fun although I didn't enjoy the drivers I was being placed on trucks with I just made the most of a bad situation.
Pros
short hours
Cons
long runs
Like most councils cut backs get in the way of productivity. Time scales become unrealistic which can result in failure to give required attention. More asked for less reward. Unnecessary repetitive paperwork in a computerised environment.
I worked here as a seasonal gardener and was so glad to get finished at the end of the season! Very lazy bosses that you never see which causes staff to be in control of depots and at each other’s throats! Heavy workloads!
Pros
Free garden supplies
Cons
Watch your back!
I learned alot and really enjoyed my time there i went from job to job doing General labouring for the plasterer I got put to work with I learned a lot about the job and what it involved
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
Working in primary education can be challenging at times but always felt well supported and valued. Many opportunities for delivery development and career advancement. A great region to live and work in.
Pros
Professional development
Cons
All that go with education in the 21st century.
Lovely place to work staff are amazing. Good training offered and updated regularly. plenty support from colleagues and management. I have gained so much experience working here.
Pros
Local
Cleaning and clearance of Council's houses, Care homes, schools, in a good work enviorement. Helping dissabled people with cleaning of their houses with a high level of hygiene.
Pros
helping people
Cons
clearance of full house
The management are clowns and I seriously mean it. Pass the buck and lie to one another. The staff otherwise are excellent however let down by a lack of leadership from above.
Pros
Cons
No progression, disorganised