East Lothian Council

• Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Pay should be more.

Great job just wish we were better thought off. Schools couldn’t run as smoothly without us. yet Councils once we re at top of our rate keep us there. Rate of pay really now needs to be looked into. I’ve done my job since 2002 and behaviours in schools has gotten so much worse. It’s seriously needs to be looked into how much work we do to keep the classes calm so class teacher can teach their class. It’s exhausting. We need a pay rise for sure. We may not have a teaching degree…

Pros

Much needed holidays.

Cons

Pay could be better

Never work here

The back biting incompetence and lack of management is horrific. The are all scared of the day they have never seen and don't yet realize how incompetent they actually are because no one ever truly holds them to account.

Old Employee

Worked here for 5 years. Every day is a new day with ELC. It's a great company to work for if they gave back what you give in and looked after their staff more closely. Work is fabulous can't fault it but I can fault the support.

Pros

Wage, holidays, work colleagues

Cons

Unsupportive management

good

although it was long shifts the work was varied and interesting attending alarm activations in the county and meeting different emergency services staff, also working with a great bunch of staff in the CCTV suite.

Pros

good amount of holidays

Cons

Great place to work, made amazing friends and worked collaboratively with other departments to support people living in East Lothian. I felt support throughout my time at ELC

Straight forward job

As above, the job is easy and straightforward not the most intertwine or challenging but all the staff I’ve worked with have been interesting & fun. There’s not much room to advance from what I can see.

Bad company

Bad place to work was not worth it, terrible people work there, pay is not enough for working in such a stressful environment, none of the computers are up to date and are all very slow

Part time position

Worked in education and fitted well when my children were young as had all the holidays so no childcare. Interesting but limited advancement as a classroom assistant.

Worked 5 days a week loved every day of it we would work from 3 until 8 at night everyone is super friendly and they are a great team to work beside. Wouldn’t change the work at all

Good way to relocate

Working as a supply teacher has proved to be a very challenging position as there are a wide range of different situations that a teacher can not be prepared for.

Pros

School holidays

Lots of opportunities to learn new things

Being based in Haddington you have access to all of the councils facilities and staff. Working in customer services you must have a broad knowledge on what the council offers to members of the public and there's is always opportunities to expand your knowledge through work shadowing or online courses specially developed by the council.

Bad management, incompetent staff

No real advancement, managers don't know what they are doing all just a box ticking exercises. You get no help when needed, very stressful. No job security.

Pros

Cons

Heavy work load

serving school lunches

It is a lovely job working with school children something i have not done before and i really enjoy the job i just wish i had more hours in a day and i wish i could be cooking in the school i work

Pros

working with children

Cons

not enough hours

Good working place

I learned that I am good at working with people,helping other people and working very hard. I found the hardest part of the job was making the food and preparing the food;you had to do everything in a certain way,or you would of had to start again.I enjoyed talking to the elderlys and keeping them happy.I liked working at this company because everyone is happy and everything is organised.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Medium hours

productive workplace

enjoyed my work here as it was good fun although I didn't enjoy the drivers I was being placed on trucks with I just made the most of a bad situation.

Pros

short hours

Cons

long runs

Job Satisfaction despite constraints

Like most councils cut backs get in the way of productivity. Time scales become unrealistic which can result in failure to give required attention. More asked for less reward. Unnecessary repetitive paperwork in a computerised environment.

Bullying culture in Amenity services management

I worked here as a seasonal gardener and was so glad to get finished at the end of the season! Very lazy bosses that you never see which causes staff to be in control of depots and at each other’s throats! Heavy workloads!

Pros

Free garden supplies

Cons

Watch your back!

Great work place

I learned alot and really enjoyed my time there i went from job to job doing General labouring for the plasterer I got put to work with I learned a lot about the job and what it involved

Pros

Long lunches

Cons

Professional and great for personal development

Working in primary education can be challenging at times but always felt well supported and valued. Many opportunities for delivery development and career advancement. A great region to live and work in.

Pros

Professional development

Cons

All that go with education in the 21st century.

Care home

Lovely place to work staff are amazing. Good training offered and updated regularly. plenty support from colleagues and management. I have gained so much experience working here.

Pros

Local

Good workplace

Cleaning and clearance of Council's houses, Care homes, schools, in a good work enviorement. Helping dissabled people with cleaning of their houses with a high level of hygiene.

Pros

helping people

Cons

clearance of full house

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Lothian Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare East Lothian Council with

• East Lothian Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?