East Riding of Yorkshire Council

East Riding of Yorkshire Council Employee Reviews

I was there for an 18 month fixed term contract and would work there again if I get the chance. A good working environment, good people to work with and occasional fun to break the monotony.
Pros
The people, great to work with
On an individual level, most people I encountered were friendly and professional. It's also got to be said that the remuneration at ERYC is not as bad as people make it to be- headline salaries are not spectacular, but East Riding is an inexpensive place to live, and the local government pension scheme is excellent.However, it was clear that the organisation is very parochial and behind the times. There was limited engagement with the outside world and even an inexplicable historical rivalry with Hull City Council and an associated desire to do things differently from them just in order to be different from them. Certain policies and practices were seriously outdated, and there was limited desire to change them. Some parts of the organisation, including the area in which I was working, were seriously inefficient and/or overstaffed. This resulted in some people (particularly long-serving middle managers) getting too comfortable in their jobs and becoming reluctant to embrace change (my manager often made noises about not wanting to 'upset the apple cart' and once said that 'getting value for taxpayer money is not part of our job'). Worse still, there seemed to be a subconscious incentive to focus on obstacles as opposed to solutions, overstate problems and insist on the rigid application of bureaucratic processes.I was not looking to build a career there, just to broaden my skills portfolio before moving to another public sector organisation. It was a permanent job and I had been expecting to stay there for a couple of years, but I only managed to last six miserable months, - more...
Pros
Decent remuneration
Cons
Rigid, outdated, parochial culture. Would be a disastrous place to start one's career.
The job has good points but too many bad points with managers not giving enough support to those who require support in work and life and to those who require additional training.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Poor management
Working with children on 1:1 basis was excellent. However although at interview you are led to believe that you will get lots of work, you really do not get enough to make a living plus you need to be careful as some managers half your pay if a child does not turn up for a tuition session.
Pros
Great working with children
Cons
Not much casual work and you lose pay if children don’t attend
Was good working for the council, as you get the opportunity to work and experience a variety of projects, with most of the designers in one location as well as the planners, building control authorities.
I've worked for the Council for almost 12 years in advertising. We have flexible working giving a good work/home balance, a good pension scheme and it's a great place to start a career. I've enjoyed most of my time working at the council and I am proud of my achievements.
Pros
Flexible working, good pension scheme
I have only been working for East Riding of Yorkshire Council for about 6 months but I have enjoyed my time so far. Other members of staff have been really helpful and friendly. Overall I think it is a good place to work and offers good benefits.
Productive organisation, feel like you are giving something back to your local community. Lots of flexible benefits on offer that give you a good work/life balance. Salary good for the East Riding. Plenty of learning and development opportunities too if you are willing to take them.
Pros
Lots of opportunities if you are willing to take them, good work life balance, good training and qualifications on offer
Cons
Lots of people, quite busy and cramped accommodation
If your face fits and you can shout people down, you will get on well with East Riding of Yorkshire Council. If not, then possibly you won't. Longevity of service means nothing at the end of the day & if you are off work for more than one long term absence due to a disclosed congenital condition, then don't expect any sympathy from this organisation. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed large parts of my time & there are some very nice and pleasant senior members of staff within this employer but this service was hampered by periods which were not so pleasant & there are too many Managers whom don't listen. whatever the known outcome, even if they have been told repeatedly, who are too wrapped up in their own self-importance & delusional place in society, to do the right thing. A gynocentric and misandrist company at times, where women are treated more favourably than men, men who are often on lower wages but doing the same job, rushed off their feet and where women have time to put their elbows on the desk and are able to discuss their plans for that evening or what they did the previous one and who do not put in the work, but gain promotion, more easily, from Officers, who blatantly have their favourite employees. A strict dress code imposed for men, where not wearing a tie is frowned upon but where women can wear virtually whatever they please. This is an organisation where incompetent people take jobs that you have spent hours applying for, coming in through re-deployment, who just can't do the role but take liberties and who pass work on to you, because they just can't - more...
Would work for the East Riding of Yorkshire Council again good pension scheme good team work regularly training courses good team spirt i played a important role had to work with different departments ie police housing socal services doctors families
If you are a flexible, pleasent work colleague, who works well with others and is adaptable, there are great opportunities to build a great career, some senior managers started as apprentices and have worked their way up the ladder here. Training and development is available and the pension scheme and other benefits such as work life ballance support lt tcareers.
In my time working for East Riding of Yorkshire Council I have not had trouble sorting hours out, organising holidays or being paid. Whilst my position is not one that requires me to have extensive contact with other employees at the council, any time I have had to contact anybody they have been very friendly.
Run away, don't walk. The company is run like a 'male' Swan, busy on the bottom at the 'business' end and not much happening on top just admiring the view. Front line services stretched, pressured and understaffed whilst on top, mostly white males with 1 puppet woman, no equalities consideration at all. Underpaid, overworked, bullied that's why I'm on this site to get out.
A very proactive engaging professional place to work. I was offered lots of training opportunities and was listened to and empowered throughout my time there.
Good company to work for, always helpful in every way, no matter which side of the job you work on, they will always help, very friendly start and work mates.
The worse place I've ever worked in. Unfriendly, inefficient & frustrating. ERYC however are good to work for. They deal with any problems quickly. The staff are friendly & extremely helpful on the telephone.
This job role was a temporary position to cover a member of staff in the Highways support team. Even though I was not in this position, I developed new skills and adapted to a new industry/environment. Using a computer on a daily basis I was able to build my IT skills further. I used many computer softwares on a daily basis, such as ‘IBM Notes’ and ‘Confirm Engineering’ I used the telephone for mainly internal calls ie form the contact centre and customer service centre, sometimes I take external calls from members of the public and outside customers.
Good to work there, it is a local job as I live in Withernsea, I don't have any travelling expenses, I walk to work and back home again so its very handy .
Canteen facilities are a joke wagons are old and falling apart morale at depot rock bottom pay lousy well below cost of living employees get no support if any incident occurs public always right
Great job really enjoyed it,most of the staff was helpful and friendly. All the children I looked after all had there own little characters and made the job easy to do as everybody just did there best
I enjoyed working for East Riding of Yorkshire Council, however, there was no employee development or training, and therefore retention of staff is poor.