East Surrey College logo
East Surrey College

East Surrey College Employee Reviews

2.5
Work-life balance

Good people, money system incorrect

some mangers can be rude. Thee way money is paid and spread out across the month is not acceptable seems like you work a lot of hours for free because of how the spread your money out

Busy and stressfull

A very busy place which I loved but due to no support from manager and senior management the workplace is not a good place to work.The place works on the wishes of executives and does not take care of its staff unless you know someone at the top level only then you feel right and comfortable.

Pros

subsidised lunch

Cons

Long hours, too much expectation, less help

disorganised

LSA's are essential to the running of the College , care and education of the students. My job role was never explained properly, I was given little training in how to actually do my job or indeed what my role was. My concerns were ignored. I was made to feel unimportant and insignificant. I very much miss working as part of a team.

n/a

They offer a competitive salary, as well as staff benefits such as a choice of two excellent pension schemes, life assurance, free onsite parking and access to our fully equipped gym along with discounted in house Spa and Salon treatments.

Incompetent

Bunch of morons run this place. Advertised a role then tried to significantly lower the salary offer, then claimed the role had already been filled internally. Students deserve better.

Good Colleague but very poor management

Feeling good working with team and always happy to help new team member but manager is bit resist. not given enough training regarding role. Poor Management.

Uncertain environment

Uncertain environment where people move around as blind people. Not knowing what is going on. I was there for 2 weeks. I appears some one left suddenly; and did show staff the process.

Toxic work ethic

A very toxic work culture unfortunately. There are senior managers who may look the part but lack positive cultural motivation, strategy and work ethics. Teaching staff really care about their work and students and they diligently try to keep up with a constant pressure to perform, complete a myriad of administrative tasks and give up increasing numbers of personal time without extra pay. On a plus, if you are tactical and emotionally strong enough to work there, you can do anything! Just make sure you know your worth and don’t accept any less.

Pros

Lovely teaching staff

Cons

Too many to add in one lifetime

It’s ok

The job paid my bills and students were generally well behaved. Teaching students had always been my career ambition, it was particularly rewarding to see those students who struggle leave with a qualification.

good.

I am a student here. so I can not give an effective review. if I must, I will say that the education here is great, I am, currently studying public services level and I must say it has been an amazing two years filled with activity.

Pros

nothing

Jobs at East Surrey College

See more jobs

Bad management , overloaded, toxic and stressful enviroment

Rushing to teach lesson after lesson , lesson prep time often taken up with manager sound bite meetings. No time for lunch, grab a coffee, left to go cold. Culture is to load on more and more . Teachers given subjects and levels they are not trained to teach and no support given. Same with management it's a small group of jobs for the friends. The hardest part of my job was working in the toxic stressful environment. The best part of my job was the students many were more competent and educated than the staff.

Pros

free parking

Cons

gradually work overload with no support

Friendly place to work

Friendly place to work but sometimes a day lacks structure. I was disappointed to find out that they do not have many free courses to train staff up for careers.

OK to a simple jod

Normal day, I learn nil from them, terrible management, my co-workers as normal, some days they was OK, others days they not. The hardest part of the job is when you have to prepare all the construction materials’ for all the students more than 3 times a day. Every day alone + your other responsibilities’ all of them at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I go to help others department that was deferent from construction as painting decorating, pluming, etc.

Pros

never

Cons

Every second is an agony

Fun

East Surrey College is a really good college with so many options to offer in various ways. It is a really good place to study and to gain good qualifications. All staff are friendly and are always able to help. The teachers are excellent as well as any of the workers.

Pros

Good qualified teachers

Cons

Do not have a variety of dishes at the cantine

A College day

The job role includes opening and closing the College site. Helping staff and students with any problems that may occur and observing any H&S issues that may arise during the course of the day. Reporting any building defects or site problems to the Facilities Manager. I enjoy the variation and unpredictability of the job. The down side of the job, is the students behaviour, which appears to get worse each year but makes the role unpleasant.

Pros

Varied role and each day is different.

Cons

Students atitude and behaviour.

Productive and Good Working and Learning environment

I study Beauty Therapy Level 2 in East Surrey College . We have work expeirence by doing treatments we have learnt while still doing the course and this helps gain more experience and practice with the treaments when we learn in the practical sessions in the salon. It is a good environment of learning skills of working with other people in the working environment. I do not get paid because it is my course that im doing for my year 13 before i go off to University next year septeember.

Interesting

I found this a very uncomfortable experience due to other students. The course itself i found interesting but i wanted to gain experience in work asap.

A great place to work in the Art College

I really enjoyed my time both running the Centre of Vocational Excellence as business manager and teaching graphics programmes in the evenings. I also enjoyed teaching post graduate journalists the design and page construction of newspapers and magazines.

Pros

Mostly standard working hours