East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Friendly place to work

Working part time hours meant that I could have the flexibility of how the hours were worked and over how many days. Work was enjoyable and interesting and I would have stayed in the post if I hadn't have moved out of the area. Management were always appreciative and respectful but not always encouraging in further professional development. I would definitely recommend working for East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust.

Pros

Part Time Hours

Cons

Would have liked more than 15 hours per week.

Really enjoyed working here. Met lots of great dedicated hard working people to. Some days are mega busy but only if your department is short staffed otherwise its a doddle. Weekends very relaxing and layback as hardly any outpatients appointments and inpatients being discharged. Weekend pay is fantastic, try and work as many weekends as you can. Especially Sunday's. Nights are a walk in the park. You can literally fall asleep. If going to work here AVOID A&E and MAU, different story with them two departments. Both crazy busy night and day. Where as other wards very smooth. Management brilliant proper old school and treat everyone the same. They look after you and are highly approachable. Pension scheme the best in the whole of the UK to. Job for life.

Pros

Great management. Good pay.

Cons

Long hours. Working shifts.

Bullying,if your not part of a click forget it

Poorly led department where managers of all levels will happily stab you in the back after praising you. Do not be surprised if staff slander your name behind your back but be so nice to your face, the levels of bullying and harassment are a joke.

Pros

I will get back to you when I find one

Cons

No support, culture of back stabbed, to gain promotion you have to be part of a click.

Lovely place to work

I recently started work and everyone, team leaders and colleagues are kind and helpful. All aspects of my job was fully explained. Any queries I have are answered quickly and efficiently. I have been made welcome, and it is a pleasure to work in such a nice environment.

Poor funding

ESHT is just so poorly funded. Nurses are not getting promoted and learning opportunities are limited due to minimal funding to provide training courses for career enhancement.

productive

busy days learned a lot management mostly supportive workplace culture-staff overworked hardest part of the job getting IT support most enjoyable helping patients

Good employer

Excellent Critical Care Unit to work in at the Conquest Hospital Friendly, welcoming staff High standard of care Opportunities to complete ITU training

Dedicated Procurement Team

I worked in the Procure Team. all were dedicated to their work and focussed on customer service. Not easy when the Team is constantly seeking efficiencies without impacting quality of service. They do a really amazing job.

Pros

Team spirit, knowledge, reliability

Cons

Traffic can be a nightmare

Not a stable place to work

Not a stable place to work Can’t recruit consultants and keep them- there were 2 orthodontic Therapists and they were not managed properly at all- both left now No consistency with prescriptions Money is poor and there is no progression Pros- nurses are lovely in the department

Pros

Holiday and sickness

Cons

Poor consultant led clinics, not valued, not supported by consultants

Good benefits and job security

Great to work for. A fair and honest employer. Great benefits and pay is reasonable The hours are suited to my lifestyle No room for advancement in my role

Fun place to work

Depends on which ward, some ward have really nice staff that makes work less stressful, some ward have really grumpy staff that gives a bad aura to the workplace

Pros

Lunch breaks

Cons

Can be stressful

Good package let down by poor supervision

If you're fine not being appreciated or adequately trained and are prepared to educate yourself, you might be ok here. Watch out for being sent for councelling when suffering from supervision/management issues - many of us were. Don't expect supervisors and managers to know what's going on in the hospital or care if you're doing your job properly. Team leaders / management have bullied many people out of secure jobs with good benifits.

Pros

Some great colleagues

Cons

Management/team leaders

Best resourced employer to be a multi-vendor service engineer.

15 minutes after leaving home and having to pay to park at your own hospital, you find yourself at the workshop bench ready to perform a routine service and/or repair various medical equipment. We only touch that equipment that we are trained on and have the correct choice of tooling for. There is often far more work than there is manpower available to do as one attempts to multi-task in an effort to clear the repairs,etc. As soon as 17:00 hrs arrives then it is time to return home.

Pros

Regular hours and close to where we live.

Cons

Under paid and over worked due to poor staffing levels

NHS is an extremely busy and ever changing service

Very busy constantly changing demands and a lot of thinking on your feet. Constant pressure to work with limited resources but staff always try to get the best outcome for patient.

Pros

Training and possibilities to change/progress in jobs

Cons

Under resourced

Enjoyable and interesting

Management is poor, no appreciation or appraisal for hard work for my colleagues or myself. Over worked and under staffed. Colleagues are great and hard working, love the environment i work in. Rewarding job, knowing you're making a difference and saving someones life.

Pros

i love my job, my colleagues, interesting role

Cons

management is poor, over worked and under staffed

Rewarding position as an engineer

A typical day does not exist in medical engineering. Any number of issues can arise at any moment and you have to adapt to achieve the needs of our customers. I have learned a lot about anatomy and medical technologies used to enable clinicians to treat patients. I have only met my manager who unfortunately is a narcissist who highly rates himself. We as a team are compared with each other and I do not believe this to be constructive. My co-workers are helpful and adaptable. We attempt to work as a team and do work well as a team, however, an atmosphere of tension exists when our manager is present. The hardest part of my job is achieving our targets of planned maintenance on a monthly basis. Trying to do the job right can be difficult when management would prefer to see high numbers as apposed to correctly working equipment. The best part of the job is working with the clinicians and customers around the hospital sites. The job is what you make of it and can be incredibly rewarding with customer praises when things go right. To go home and know you have done the right thing at work and helped people with fixing medical equipment that helps to save peoples lives is very satisfying.

Pros

Flexability

Cons

Salary and working conditions (i.e - no drinking water)

love my job

I love working in the health care environment. I work on the trauma and orthopaedic ward as a health care assistant and love the people and staff that I work with.

bullying culture

Worked pottering in Hastings great lads to work with but to many managers and team leaders who do nothing and are prone to bullying.The merge with Eastbourne made it worse managers from there poor shame because the porters work hard and don't get any help when short staffed from the team leaders

Pros

overtime

Cons

long days

Forward looking pro active organisation

Excellent place of work with very good facilities for patients, visitors and staff. Excellent food and eating facilities and friendly and cooperative staff at all levels. Currently improving in all aspects.

Pros

Excellent management

Cons

Long hours for some staff and on call duties also.

Friendly work place.

Good job security. Admin staff need more support from management. Great team to work with. Worst part of the job is amount of walking.

Cons

Paying to park.

Committment for caring for individuals at home

As part of the Joint Community Rehab Team, which covers a 7 day service, I assess both Rehab and Reablement clients with a view to short term rehab of up to 6 weeks to enhance independence and prevent unnecessary hospital admissions. I refer onto other agencies and organisations as necessary. I work autonomously and as part of an MDT in managing my own caseload for complex and non-complex cases. The clients have a wide range of non-complex and complex musculo-skeletal and neurological, sensory conditions, falls, dementia and palliative conditions. I assist in the referral duty role as and when needed. I take part in carrying out rapid and urgent assessment as part of the weekly urgent OT duty role to respond to urgent and rapid cases, resolve crisis in the community and help prevent unnecessary admissions. I also undertake working weekends on a rota basis. I liaise with a range of health and social care professionals such as hospital OTs, hand therapists, GPs, district nurses, specialist nurses, advance practitioner nurses, tissue viability, specialist, MacmiIlan/ hospice nurses neuro OTs and PTs, learning disability teams, dieticians, SALT, social workers, senior assessors, support workers, rehab support workers, wheelchair services, care agencies and carers. I assess clients for a range of standard and non-standard equipment including rails, ramps, shower-chair/commodes, glide sheets, mobile hoists, gantry hoists, stand aids, slings, Wendylett sheets, hospital beds, riser/recliners, stand aids, banana boards etc. This involves completing clinical authorization -

Pros

Helping clients to live at home as long as possible. Restoring dignity. Team working.

Cons

This job is fixed term untill Aug 2015

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement