East of England Ambulance Service Trust
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

East of England Ambulance Service Trust Reviews: Working at East of England Ambulance Service Trust

United Kingdom45 reviews

Little opportunity for development

Culture and environment is dependant on your area - Mine was one of the better ones, though even at that it is sometimes clique-ey and gossipy , however on the whole most staff are wonderful people who genuinely love the job.Some managers are great, others seem to go out of their way to make life difficult just to remind you who's in charge. Their excuse as a trust for not offering development opportunities for staff is 'we're busy'... We're always busy!More people would stay if they offered more development opportunities. The NQP program is a link to a word document.

Fast paced Job for life

Good about can be very stressful. Work with lots of different people. Shift work 12 hour shifts. Great people to work with. Uniform supplied when signed contract and passed assessments.

Pros

Possible flexi working

Cons

Long hard shifts

I worked here because I had to

Unless you can access student finance or self-fund a para degree, there's not many other options to gain HCPC registration other than to try to get on a direct entry SAP programme.Otherwise, the job itself and most of the colleagues is great. The management and their apathy towards mental health (even in 2022) is awful.I wouldn't recommend anyone works here but if you want to work on front line DSAs properly, what other choice do you have?Never regret leaving.

Enjoyed it, good management.

Good communication and Good management. Part of a team. Enjoyed working there. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Training was given well.

Pros

Part of a team

Cons

Unsociable hours.

Toxic and hostile

At first, during the initial training it feels a great place to learn, great trainers and the training is fun.BUT….once in the control room it’s an unpredictable and nasty place to spend 12 hours!The following statement is a message I received from another member and should have taken into account..“I've been in the Ambo service now for 14years, and I can't in good consciousness recommend the control room to anyone, it's a toxic hostile environment that is relentless and stressful and when the s*%t hits the fan your at the bottom of the pile 😑”

Pros

End of shift, training staff

Cons

I couldn’t list them all

20 December 2021
Hi - I am really sorry to hear about your experiences with the Trust in your current role. The Senior Operations Manager for AOC in Norwich is keen to discuss your concerns furthers and has asked if you could make contact Andrew.Gay@eastamb.nhs.ukElisabeth at EEAST Recruitment

Very poor management

I went in with eyes wide open and so pleased to be a part of what I thought would be a long lasting career.I came out after a few years thinking at least the pension made it worthwhile.Best part is the occasional trip out on the road away from management.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Unaddressed ongoing issues. Same old excuse “we’re looking into it”…

21 December 2021
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your experiences. Although you have left the Trust, our Head of Make Ready Services is keen to discuss your concerns and would like you to contact them:david-john.williams@eastamb.nhs.uk

Hard work but rewarding.

Working here is hard work, mentally. You feel the pressure to do things correctly which is difficult knowing if you make a mistake that’s someone’s life on the line. The people were good, I felt like support was there if I needed it. But all in all it is just so overwhelming and intense and caused so much anxiety for me.

Pros

Excellent pay & time off

Cons

Stressful.

23 November 2021
The Trust is currently building a better resourced Wellbeing team for all staff to benefit from additional support to deal with the stresses of working in the service, so that all employees can be the best they can be to deliver excellent care.

Horrid place full of bullies

The management team and people at the top are unprofessional, no experience and should not be in their positions. Place is toxic and full of bullies. There is a blame culture, someone innocent will be pinned for mistakes of others. Management gossip and pass on confidential information to other staff. Serious breach.

Pros

It was a job at the time

Cons

Bullies, unprofessional management, toxic

Part of a family

I've worked for EEAST for just over 5 years now and I absolutely love it. Yeah some days are cr*p like any job, but 99% of the time it's great. I've met some lovely people, people I hope will be friends for life. Its not an easy job, some days are difficult, but if it was easy all the time I would be bored.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Turnover of staff

Believe all you read in the press

Worst place I’ve worked. Bullying claims are real and takes place on a daily basis. Managers who can’t manage but only micro manage by intimidating and confrontational behaviour. No appreciation. Lack of support. Poor leadership. Appalling team management.

Pros

Each day comes to an end

Cons

Everything. Do not recommend!

Productive job

I enjoyed my temporary job with the East of England Ambulance service while I was there I did electronic tagging onto the ambulance equipment on board the ambulances

Pros

No pressure from the job

Cons

There were no cons

Toxic place to work

Management shockingly bad, unsupportive, never respond to emails or complaints. Bullying culture. Very long hours. Stressful job made enough more stressful by management team.

Pros

The drive home

Cons

Everything about the place.

9 August 2021
We are sorry to hear about your experience working with the Trust. If you would like to discuss your feedback further please contact sandra.treacher@eastamb.nhs.uk

Stressful bullying

Managers are bullies. Hard work no thanks. Constant pressure from managers No home life balance. No support. Poor training Other staff good to work with and try to support each other.

Pros

Pension and job security

Cons

Stressful poor managers

Needs improvement

Management needs to change, not enough support for MH or home life problems that could also effect work life, do not work as a team. Working environment is very uncomfortable, lots of groups of people that bully.

Pros

Unsocial pay

Cons

Need more support, bullys in workplace

9 August 2021

Live and learn a great deal.

All that paramedic profession entails but ambulance based. This is the world of pre-hospital care and blue lights, rarely have two jobs alike and you will experience and take part in the best and most tragic parts of people's lives. Not for the faint hearted but, definitely for people wanting to make a difference for it's own reward.

Bullied, left due to mental health, unable to work for 2 years ... You have been warned

I worked here as part of the HR team. Unfortunately I was horribly bullied by another HR person, which my team were ineffective in providing protection from. Just within HR there were multiple cases of long term sickness, bullying and even a suicide when someone was badly supported on their return to work from long term sick. I was told that as I was an HR person I should be able to fix the bullying without my managers help. I was left in an increasingly fragile state. If it hadn't been for the support of 3 non-HR managers, I really think that I wouldnt have survived either. I eventually resigned as I was so distressed at the frankly hideous working environment, that there were no other options. This employer just truly sucks. There is pressure to not do anything proactive (as "it risks job losses if we look like we have spare time"). It is the most toxic, angry and unpleasant environment. People take the pressures out on each other and you will most likely be put in the position of having to turn a blind eye to medical errors/avoidable deaths. If you want to work for the NHS, there are other organisations which will have less risk in terms of your survival. Please dont think that it will be different for you. They will sap all joy out of your life.

Poor reward for the responsibility

Frustrating job as every one is passing the bucket. Doesn't matter if you are university trained or unqualified staff, everyone is taking most patients to hospital just to protect their job. No support from management and to get promoted it is about who you know (or how good looking you are) not what you know. Very corrupted and crazy hours plus always finishing at least an hour late and

Productive team ( not so sure of others)

My team was fab not sure if it’s the same with all others. I was non emergency and liked the people I worked with and they had been there some time. Although some days could drag

Your long term mental health will suffer

You will love this job to start with, the thrill of driving on blue lights the buzz of trying to save a poorly patients life. Due to volume of work there is no time for decompression between jobs and burn out is high. The average front line career length is now approximately 5 years.

Awful

Given the impression in training that it’s fab, supportive etc. On only my second shift with a mentor I fell apart, burst into tears and left. It’s really hard at first using a script and using three screens. I was expected to remember every single icon and was constantly put under pressure to go faster from my third call, whilst my mentor sat there stuffing donuts, sweets, bagels, McDonald’s or whatever other food had been delivered

Eeast

Very badly run and terrible management that have no concern over your well being or work life balance. Any complaints or grievances that you officially enter are never auctioned especially when it comes to bullying. A whole new management clear out is needed and listen to the staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East of England Ambulance Service Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement