East of England Ambulance Service Trust

East of England Ambulance Service Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom73 reviews

supportstafflongteamhourenvironmentpeopletime

Lovely people

Ambulance frontline work is a great job and most of the people you meet are lovely. If you want a rewarding career, go for it. Just don’t expect a good work life balance - the shifts are relentless but it’s part of the job.

Good pay badly run

Good pay and a really good work life balance with opportunity for overtime however management is often changing with little to no communication with staff.

Pros

Pay and some great staff to work with

Cons

Management and lack of addressing issues with crews

Insights into East of England Ambulance Service Trust

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Protect Your Mental Health

EEAST is broken. You are encouraged to speak up, yet when you do, you are ignored! Managers are either new or inexperienced, many haven’t been patient facing for many years, therefore are unaware of the current practice and the stresses that staff find on the frontline. The HR teams contradict their own policies leaving staff confused and often in difficult situations. In addition, it will take you weeks, months or even years to get any issues resolved, whether this is relating to pay or a grievance, for example. If your faces fits, you’ll be fine. You make thousands of good decisions, yet you are penalised on the one you get wrong. Retention is a huge problem. Nothing can be done to fix this, and this will only get worse. Middle management and departments will ignore you when they are at fault. As an employee, you are expected to be open and honest, yet when errors are made by HR or management, it is just accepted, with minimal acknowledgement or reflection.

Pros

Salary and Job Security

Cons

Hr, Management, Bullying, Harassment

30 August 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experiences with EEAST. As you should be aware, EEAST is going through a number of challenges which are taking time to resolve. We do encourage staff to use our Freedom to Speak Up guardians to raise concerns, but as a large organisation these do take time to review and resolve. We would encourage you to continue to speak with your line manager or department head to ensure concerns are raised and issues dealt with appropriately. This feedback has been shared with the department heads to review.

Goal post changers. One-upmanship

The trust have changed so much. They preach that the care but clearly treat staff as a number. When management mess up, they change the goals to suit themselves. Communication is atrocious, especially from some managers who never respond to emails or phone calls, no matter who it's from.If your face fits, you'll go far as long as you don't make waves.

Toxic place

Worst trust I have worked for, with bullying management. The staff members are great and caring and just get on with it. A lot of the managers belittle staff to get their next promotion.

Terrible management

General work life is good, but the management is terrible, they generally look down on new employees, and definitely have favourites with more experienced staff. Dont bother trying to contact HR they dont reply to emails or return calls.

Pros

Working with members of the public

Cons

Low pay, long hours, and bad management

Good teamwork ,can be very busy , sense of achievement.

Start check ambulance for supplies and equipment, also is the vehicle fit for use, work is sent digital hand set, any problems there was a help number. Good team members will not see you struggle, good parts, keeping patients happy listening ,interacting with fellow passengers. Worse part, when a passenger has a medical issue ,you are highly trained in first aid but some things are beyond your control. Really enjoyed working for this trust.

Ok

Not for everyone- hard and mentally draining but somewhat rewarding Pay is relatively good for a call centre environment which is a plus and good incentives and over time opportunities

Stressful, fast-paced but challenging and fulfilling.

The role was complicated but an enjoyment to learn about and progress in. You have to pass various assessments and mentoring before you know you're actually a call handler but once you're through all of these barriers and a lot of hard work, you'll really enjoy taking the calls and being challenged as an employee to do your best. The stressful environment got gradually worse over my time here and eventually caused me to leave because it affecting my mental and physical health but if you are someone who is completely un-phased by being constantly neck-deep in stacking calls & stress over a 12 hour period then you'll be a perfect fit. The salary never felt good enough for what and the amount of work you are doing but its better than most jobs.

Little opportunity for development

Culture and environment is dependant on your area - Mine was one of the better ones, though even at that it is sometimes clique-ey and gossipy , however on the whole most staff are wonderful people who genuinely love the job.Some managers are great, others seem to go out of their way to make life difficult just to remind you who's in charge. Their excuse as a trust for not offering development opportunities for staff is 'we're busy'... We're always busy!More people would stay if they offered more development opportunities. The NQP program is a link to a word document.

Fast paced Job for life

Good about can be very stressful. Work with lots of different people. Shift work 12 hour shifts. Great people to work with. Uniform supplied when signed contract and passed assessments.

Pros

Possible flexi working

Cons

Long hard shifts

I worked here because I had to

Unless you can access student finance or self-fund a para degree, there's not many other options to gain HCPC registration other than to try to get on a direct entry SAP programme.Otherwise, the job itself and most of the colleagues is great. The management and their apathy towards mental health (even in 2022) is awful.I wouldn't recommend anyone works here but if you want to work on front line DSAs properly, what other choice do you have?Never regret leaving.

Enjoyed it, good management.

Good communication and Good management. Part of a team. Enjoyed working there. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Training was given well.

Pros

Part of a team

Cons

Unsociable hours.

Toxic and hostile

At first, during the initial training it feels a great place to learn, great trainers and the training is fun.BUT….once in the control room it’s an unpredictable and nasty place to spend 12 hours!The following statement is a message I received from another member and should have taken into account..“I've been in the Ambo service now for 14years, and I can't in good consciousness recommend the control room to anyone, it's a toxic hostile environment that is relentless and stressful and when the s*%t hits the fan your at the bottom of the pile 😑”

Pros

End of shift, training staff

Cons

I couldn’t list them all

20 December 2021
Hi - I am really sorry to hear about your experiences with the Trust in your current role. The Senior Operations Manager for AOC in Norwich is keen to discuss your concerns furthers and has asked if you could make contact Andrew.Gay@eastamb.nhs.ukElisabeth at EEAST Recruitment

Very poor management

I went in with eyes wide open and so pleased to be a part of what I thought would be a long lasting career.I came out after a few years thinking at least the pension made it worthwhile.Best part is the occasional trip out on the road away from management.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Unaddressed ongoing issues. Same old excuse “we’re looking into it”…

21 December 2021
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your experiences. Although you have left the Trust, our Head of Make Ready Services is keen to discuss your concerns and would like you to contact them:david-john.williams@eastamb.nhs.uk

Hard work but rewarding.

Working here is hard work, mentally. You feel the pressure to do things correctly which is difficult knowing if you make a mistake that’s someone’s life on the line. The people were good, I felt like support was there if I needed it. But all in all it is just so overwhelming and intense and caused so much anxiety for me.

Pros

Excellent pay & time off

Cons

Stressful.

23 November 2021
The Trust is currently building a better resourced Wellbeing team for all staff to benefit from additional support to deal with the stresses of working in the service, so that all employees can be the best they can be to deliver excellent care.

Woke management with kangaroo court attitude to incidents.

Management on PTS side introduced a policy of not publishing any praise received for a crew as it may deflate the happiness of other crews.Also, any crew who have any kind of complaint raised against them are automatically deemed guilty without being given a chance to put their side.

Pros

Good training. Get to meet loads of patients.

Cons

Bad management, no real backup when needed from control centre staff.

Awful place to work

Strong bullying culture . No progression. No support . Always off late . Awful work life balance. Very quick to punish then reward. Not a good place to start your career

Horrid place full of bullies

The management team and people at the top are unprofessional, no experience and should not be in their positions. Place is toxic and full of bullies. There is a blame culture, someone innocent will be pinned for mistakes of others. Management gossip and pass on confidential information to other staff. Serious breach.

Pros

It was a job at the time

Cons

Bullies, unprofessional management, toxic

Part of a family

I've worked for EEAST for just over 5 years now and I absolutely love it. Yeah some days are cr*p like any job, but 99% of the time it's great. I've met some lovely people, people I hope will be friends for life. Its not an easy job, some days are difficult, but if it was easy all the time I would be bored.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Turnover of staff

Believe all you read in the press

Worst place I’ve worked. Bullying claims are real and takes place on a daily basis. Managers who can’t manage but only micro manage by intimidating and confrontational behaviour. No appreciation. Lack of support. Poor leadership. Appalling team management.

Pros

Each day comes to an end

Cons

Everything. Do not recommend!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East of England Ambulance Service Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare East of England Ambulance Service Trust with

Learn about East of England Ambulance Service Trust in popular locations

• East of England Ambulance Service Trust
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?