Eden Project

Working at Eden Project: 37 Reviews

United Kingdom37 reviews

freeteamhourstaffplaceenjoymanagementworking

Fun workplace, friendly colleagues, mostly good

Nice place to work, good opportunities to skill up and learn, easy to outgrow once you skill up as promotion to higher roles comes about rarely. Pay could be better, though they do provide some good benefits to make up for it, still pay could be better. They've lost lots of good experienced staff with lay offs and I imagine it doesn't help with staffs concerns over job security

Pros

Staff benefits, catering outlets, colleagues, training and support

Cons

Few opportunities to get a promotion, wages, poorly handled pay reviews, job security

Terribly managed workplace

This has the worst management I have ever worked for. There are poor systems and you will feel let down from the management in all aspects. If you ask for something months in advance, it will be forgotten as the systems are totally disgraceful. There is no room for improvement or progression as they will not train you and will hire someone who has done the job before, being terrible at it in the process. Never work here.

Pros

Nice colleagues if they’re on the same level as you

Cons

Management. Shift lengths. Systems. Stressful.

Insights into Eden Project

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment
  • General feeling of work happiness

Poor Management

Whilst the staff at Eden are excellent there is very much a culture of them and us. The training is not the best and in my view the training of management seems non existent. The hours are long on minum wage with no increase in pay for working unsocial hours. The enjoyable part is the people ie staff you work with. I also found some managers treat staff so poorly and speak to you as if are something they found on there feet. I had occasion to report two managers in the way they spoke to me and both times I was told this was normal and just the way they are. This to me unacceptable in my view.

Pros

Eden is nice place

Cons

Long shifts and Poor Management

Hard work but an honour

I worked there in the beginning days it was busy everyday I loved working there I made some good friends that I still stay in contact with today.I will never forget my time there.It was a pleasure and the management were kind and fair

Pros

Amazing place upbeat positive atmosphere a honour to work there

Fast paced and innovative

Eden is an amazing place to work, the experience gained is second to none and the oppurtunities are endless. Its great for your social life and promotes a family style working environment.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Lack of management at times

Hospitality Assistant

Poor pay for hours and work which you need to complete. Poor management structure. Good first time job, youthful team so good for socializing. Also good for time off if not busy.

Great place to work, if you don't want to get rich.

Everyone I interact with at Eden Project is friendly, helpful, supportive and just lovely to work with. All of the horticulturalists are highly knowledgeable and keen to share their knowledge. The online training is all relevant and easy to complete, (even on my cheap and nasty android phone) though it does take time. The range of work is so varied that you can never get bored. We go at any physically demanding tasks mob handed, so just as a job is about to get hard, it's all over. The health and safety measures are for real and NOT meaningless words, like so many other places. The whole culture and ethos could be held up as a shining example of how it should be done. Things can take time, but they get there in the end. The pay is not good, but then this is Cornwall, and it is not much better up country. The horticulturalists work here because it is a great place to learn and improve your skills and knowledge. It can never hurt to have the Eden Project on your C.V. I feel a little apprehensive about giving such a glowing review, as I don't need the competition. But Eden deserves it. If you are a good gardener and want to up your game, watch the vacancies on the website and go for it.

Pros

Subsidised meals, discounts for employees, Free training, free entry to sister projects.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any.

Aviod, avoid,avoid.

The other reviews here must have been paid for by Eden. Totally misleading. The worst place I have ever worked by a mile. Management are vile, bigoted people who treat you worse than vermin.

Pros

Cons

Everything.

Fun and fast paced workplace

Eden is a lively and fun place to work if you don't mind a bit of hard work. Everyone I met while working there was super nice and helpful and made it a really enjoyable place to be.

Fun and diverse place to work

Great place as a stepping stone to find yourself and finding what you would like to do with your life with aspect of jobs, everyone is very welcoming and easy going

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Long hours and under apritiasted

Friendly-ish

Employees within hospitality are very young and this leads to an immature workforce. Placing personal and social responsibilities before working professionalism.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

inconsistent hours

amazing recommended to anyone

Would recommend to anyone, amazing staff parties, great discount and wonderful working environment. bread is sometimes free at the end of the day. staff are lovely.

A great place to work, it's a beautiful place and one to be admired. the roles are great and the training opportunities are excellent. Some teams have such great team work.

okay place to work

If you can get passed the institutional snobbery, ar*e covering and general self entitled altitude of management . its actually a nice and interesting place to work.

Pros

free food, fit ladies ;)

Cons

casual disregard for employment law

Fun to work at and nice staff

When I first joined Eden I felt very welcome and part of the team. No problems apart from long hours during the day when there was not a lot of work to do

Pros

Free lunches and the staff was very welcoming and nice.

Cons

Long hours where there was not a lot of work to do.

excellent.

great place to work. friendly and helpful staff. excellent management. good communication. different kitchens to work in with a variety of foods. becoming a popular wedding venue.

Pros

good hours, food on duty

Cons

none i can think of

Admissions at Eden

You get put on a temporary contract and get told there's a very hgh chance of being kept on, you get a monthly rota for the month after without your name on and there's nothing said by the supervisors/bosses. The shop asks for people from other departments and the shop staff just moan about having other staff there yet refuse to pick up extra shifts and complain about how admissions got 10p/hour more yet they cannot handle working there. One of the supervisors has their favourite people and tries to make it as hard as possible for those she doesn't like.

Pros

People in your department are often very friendly

Cons

One supervisor has favourite staff and tries to make it as hard for those she doesn't like

good

very good , pleasant place to work with great staff and management. Great workplace culture. A generally good place to work.

Fun work place but still zero hour

I enjoy working here however I have now been here for 3 years and still have no guaranteed hours per week. There is no opportunity for progression and the pay is moderate.

a mixed bag

I worked in various teams and the management varied greatly. Some good, some not so good. Overall a nice place to work. But minimum wage and often zero hours contract.

Pros

paid breaks. nice location

Cons

low wages. zero hours contracts

Productive workplace / Fulfilling experience

A typical day would consist of assisting the elderly or disabled around the Eden attraction. Being a volunteer, my time there only lasted a few months. I learned the importance of allowing all types of individual to experience the monuments attraction. The management dealt with things appropriately and gave clear instructions. My co-workers were pleasant and helpful and gave assistance when needed. Leaning the safety procedures and securing individuals onto the land train. Assisting customers around the attraction.

Pros

Sociable work hours, year long free entry

Cons

Very physical job role

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eden Project. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement