Edinburgh Leisure

Edinburgh Leisure Employee Reviews

The EL is a great Charity to work for with loads of benefits such as free use of facilities which is fair enough if you are a kinda sporty person. The Directors are deep to the ground although very approachable and friendly when talked to. I wish I could say the same about the management of some venues but I cannot. My experience in that area is negative. Lack of clear vision of where to go, too many people to deal with to push some idea forward and waiting for approval from person a to be to c etc. As much as I understand what the business is I cannot understand the aggressive politics on purely focused on making money only - often regardless of the costs of mental health of other employees. Very authoritative and not open to employees health issues management was causing them being on sick more often than I had ever faced - very often abusing the system which by the way - let them do so. Culture of fear and ratting - that was my impression on the venue overall (no offence to some sensible people who also worked out there and did a genuinely fantastic job!). I didn't enjoy the environment (meaning - the culture) at the Commonwealth Pool, thus mutually agreed with no problem with the management to leave. The place has taught me to not to trust anyone, which sadly is something against my beliefs, although the decision of leaving the venue was one of the best I've made in recent years as thanks to that my career's gone into genuinely brilliant direction! :) Do I recommend Edinburgh Leisure as the Employer? Yes - but I'd avoid some venues and certain people.
Pros
free use of facilities across the EL, family discounts
Cons
management of some venues, aggressive politics purely focused on making money only, culture of watching from behind the shoulder
They are an excellent company to work for. So many benefits that come with the job and it's very rewarding. Work/life balance is very good and if you need anything there is always someone that will be able to help you out.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
if you get a chance while you're a student or looking for part time work it is a fabulous place to be! the day in the life as a swim teacher/ life guard is fun yet hard work you are looking after peoples lives at the en
The review for Edinburgh leisure is a good overall review for the fact that it’s a relaxed vibe but at the same time got to work hard and get your head down.
I do not want to review my present company. This is an unnecessary part of this process. The fact that I would like to leave the company should be enough.
genuine great company and awesome community. variety of opportunities and the ability to meet new people, lovely to see so much encouragement from everyone
Mostly worked on own as Tech Officers, out doing site visits, on a daily basis I answered emails, raised job lines and purchase orders, processed invoices, updated budget spreadsheets, timesheets and register. Answered the telephone, dealt with deliveries, parcel pickups and sign in visitors. Sometimes it can be very busy and you need to focus on what you are working on. I also placed ordered to various contractors for department Managers.
Pros
Great hours
At edinburgh leisure its a great place to work able to get work completed with no hassle, and also able to do other personal errands in office. Great fr working and meeting new people. other members of staff are great big family feel
Working for Edinburgh Leisure was one of my best job experiences. I found it very relaxing and very supportive to work for this company as I felt good-sport like atmosphere.
Pros
Good benefits, good progression opportunity and great atmosphere.
Cons
Depends on the venue and the role.
Often a role where dealing directly with the p.ublic can be positive but also challenging.the nature of the company is sometimes the expectations and demands can outweigh the benefits
Pros
Free use of some facilities gym swim etc
Cons
Irregular shift patterns
Hours not too demanding Some staff shortages on an operational level Many training and career advancement opportunities Overall a decent company to work for
Pros
Free EL membership and freinds and family discount memberships
Cons
Some staff shortages
I started at the common wealth pool in March this year as a trainee swim instructor, the advert I felt was totally misleading. You had to stay with the company two years or you had to pay back the money for the courses depending on how long you stayed. I also lived outside Edinburgh and to get to the courses was expensive and time consuming of which they didn't reimburse you for. Wasn't told that I had to take a lifeguarding course either and that there was a fitness test! I'd been working at the commie for over five weeks and no one got me ready for that course which was savage by the way!!! I forfeited the course as I wasn't pool fit, and was told I had to sit it again within the month!! I had nowhere to stay and it was going to cost me an arm and a leg to re-sit it all over again, but they just dont seem to care about that side of things. The staff were cool, but management well I actually didn't know who I was to contact when I resigned, thats how bad the lack of communication is. There is just no communication at the Commie or within Edinburgh Leisure. My line manager was all about his ego and when any problems arose he left the other female line manager to sort things out, but was quick to be condescending towards me because of his lack of incompetence. Also they are a charity, charities expect a lot from you but you don't get much back and they don't pay much. I am not a person who likes to be negative but I feel I wasted seven weeks of my life and money travelling back and forward to the commie, it cost me so much money. The pay was very poor also. Totally - more...
Pros
some of the staff were cool
Cons
NO communication, no explanation, hot, noisy, line manager never wanted to deal with anything. Little pay
My time at Edinburgh leisure has been very pleasant. I owe a lot to Gracemount Leisure centre especially as working there really brought me out my shell and helped develop me as a person.
Work environment is friendly and support for new starts is excellent. I learned a lot of communication skills with the public and how to use several different kinds medium on the computer, such as emailing and EPOS. Management is the facilities strength as they are always helpful but can be hard to find in such a big facility.
Not the friendliest management new staff all the time poor communication as a company. New managers every month too much stuff to do on your own. No teamwork colleagues always in the staff room drinking tea.
Pros
Salary, Use of facility
Cons
Health and safety issues/Rude staff/ Poor management
A typical day at Edinburgh leisure consisted of many cleaning tasks to keep the centre clean, many set ups to allow public and also scheduled classes take part in activities and of course you have to safeguard the pool. I learned some further skills in how to clean but not much else. Management at Edinburgh Leisure is awful and should be watched more closely as they downgrade you, don't help you with anything, accuse of anything and everything and don't make you feel comfortable in the workplace.
Pros
free membership
Cons
management
Excellent salary. Great perks with membership to all EL sites. Lots of development opportunities and courses provided free of charge. High standard of training provided. Only downside is tough hours in some roles and locations.
Pros
Training and development
Cons
Very early starts in some roles
typical day is very busy and always on the go with set ups and cleaning, learnt lots over the years qualified first aider,health and safety coordinator and fire risk assessor. A centre is only as good as the manager who runs it and sorry to say that's apparent with my site. Work place culture like any other clique and a bit of back stabbing. Hardest part dealing with some of the gymnastics clubs who use the centre . Enjoy working with my team mates and we work well together
Pros
Good staff award free access to all facilities
Cons
Progression within the company
you learn new things and different ways to deal with customers threw Edinburgh leisure. there are all different opportunity's threw Edinburgh leisure aswell.
Pros
discount
Cons
Great company, good holidays, work as teams, encorouge training and promotion, free membership. Staff support from other members.
Pros
traning in job good working conditions
Cons
shifts if you dont like them, but great company
not much to do here, when not in the pool area you are required to clean and once all the cleaning is done there is nothing to keep you busy until you are back on to the pool area i like to be kept busy
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
weird shifts
  1. Employee reviews