Edinburgh Woollen Mill
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

Edinburgh Woollen Mill Employee Reviews

Good set of colleagues, bad company values

My whole team got made redundant on the spot through a phone call during the coronavirus pandemic after we went out of our way for the company. Bad values and not a good company at all

Cons

Bad company values

not challenging enough

I loved the people I worked with at Edinburgh Woollen Mill, however I found the job very slow paced and not very challenging. A lot of the time there very little to do so I spent most of my time stood do nothing

Pros

Free coffee and dicount

Cons

Very slow paced

Bad company

Pre covid the job was great, great head office support, great area manager support and most shops in area would support and help each other. On return to work after lockdown there is no support, area manager talks down to managers and staff and when you challenge and ask questions you are shot down. Shop teams in area no longer support and help each other, managers and staff are not getting the Information that is needed to help you run the store, you are left on your own and then get shouted at if it’s not right from area managers. Money is rubbish, lowest ever. My manager was getting 1p more than the supervisor.

Pros

Work hours

Cons

Bad area managers, no support, lone working. Bad pay.

Very good experience

I worked at Edinburgh woollen mills a while ago it was my second job in retail. I had a very good experience staff were nice my manager was really friendly helpful it was not overly fast paced your customer service skills did have to be of a very good standard we also had to approach customers asking if they needed any help that was the only down side I’m sure things have changed now. The environment in the shop was clean relaxed and I enjoyed working there very much I would definitely recommend

Pros

Part-time work available

Cons

I was not keen on the Uniform

Good team to work with

Enjoyed working in a small team and had a good relationship with the staff. Liked the customers and especially the tourist . Also was not expected to work very late nights.

Productive but can be slow

Nice environment to work in but when days were quite it was very slow pace and not much to do. Did have great people who I worked with so made some days better

Pros

In store discount

Horrible

Dont bother with this company, they dont care about employees. You are nothing but a number, they expect you to lone work for hours. The amount of staff for a store is ridiculous. The area managers are, cold rude and unapproachable. Really horrible place to work.

Pros

Cons

Lone working, no head office support, no area manager support, constant criticism

Suitable for older staff

Poor upper management cannot contact anyone at head office. Expect lone working and cut weekly hours so much you can’t take your holidays. No sick pay. Minimum wage no advancement

Pros

No heavy lifting

Cons

See comments above

I felt at home within the company. A great team on individuals who came together to become a well oiled team. A positive environment for both customers and staff. A great support system from higher in the company always made you feel well taken care if when you had ant issues.

Pros

Great team if people, paid tea breaks

Cons

Long shifts on occasion

Fun workplace

Lost my job due to pandemic but i loved working for the poole store, more like a family to me. If i had a chance to go back i would!! It built my confidence in retail and loved working with the elderly. Easy going and friendly atmosphere and always our team put our customers first.

Pros

No free lunches

Cons

Hours were to suit

Jobs at Edinburgh Woollen Mill

See more jobs

Great until we closed

Really enjoyed working in our store's team, it felt like a family. Although head office was incredibly target driven. We found out our store was closing down the day before, were told we would be deployed to other stores but were made redundant almost immediately.

Pros

Staff discount, great team

Cons

Head office very target driven, little communication from head office during administration

Not a good working environment

Do not work for this company. It's stressful and the management of the staff is horrible. They do not deserve to have such great staff. The manager of my shop said I need you to resign so I will look good in higher management eyes.she was and is my worst nightmare.

Pros

Cons

Awful management

not the best

My first ever job. I got the job after an 1/2 hour interview on the day. Quiet shop makes for a longer day. The pay is exactly minimum wage and you dont get extras on bank holidys or weekends.

Pros

Cheap Biscuits, No uniform

Cons

No employee benefits, No holidays from November to January, Freezing winters, Boiling summers

So very old fashioned

I've never worked with such an unfriendly, two faced bunch in my life. All been there 300 years, no desire to better themselves or put any work in. Massive cliques in the staff and if they don't like you then they will treat you like dirt. Rubbish staff on big contracts, best staff on little contracts.Different rules for different people, some have 10 cigarettes a day but you get the death stare if you go for a drink. No admin skills at all, 1 person took an order, wouldn't tell anyone then hung it out the back without letting people know, the customers must have wondered what was going on! The supervisor did as little as possible as did a lot of the staff, I actually feel for the manager.. fancy managing that lot! The staff would back bite you on your day off and you could not trust anyone! You had to come in 15 minutes earlier on a 6 hour shift to get a break yet the smokers had breaks & several cigarettes in between. That's not my job was the most used line in there! Really unpleasant environment to work in which is a shame as the customers were nice! The manager is nice, the rest.. not so much! This company needs dragging into the 21st century!

Pros

Garden centre spot

Cons

Lazy staff & backstabbing

£12,00 for Christmas Meal

I've brought my vast experience and knowledge to the Business when I accepted the job offer. And shared my knowledge with Manager's and the colleagues.Training opportunities very little almost none.The hardest part of the job was getting the Seasonal window display changes by the Visual Merchandiser.

Awful immoral company

Head office/higher management do not respect staff, under valued, overworked and underpaid. No work life balance, expected to work for nothing. No pay rise, no progression or advancement. Expected to lone trade at times. Threats to cut staff hours. The store I was in I had a lovely team, but it's the company itself that are just awful. They drive their staff into the ground. Avoid at all costs if you cm.

Pros

Good in store team.

Cons

Low pay, No work life balance, No progression or advancement unless managerial roles available in other stores, expected to work to unrealistic deadlines. Treated like slaves.

Sales Assistant

The Only good thing I can say about working for this company is the people who I worked with. From day to day the store was a stressful environment due to the added pressures you get put on you to 'Drive sales' one thing could be to make sure you are selling add on's which is fair enough as they all add up but not to the extent of begging customers to buy something just to make you look good on paper. There is always a motive behind the company, I loved who I worked with and if the company would move with the times and learn to respect their employees as humans and not robots maybe they wouldn't see such a changeover in the amount of staff. You are expected to sell things to customers in a professional yet relaxed way but when you have the added pressures of targets in your face everyday it takes the enjoyment out of it all I would not recommend working for this company where you only get treated as a number not a human. Launching Sales were a nightmare as the items would only be reduced by so many pence rather than a few pounds to get rid of stock to make room for more. I would love to know who does all the ordering in for the stores as they literally don't have a clue as to what customers want. The best thing for me was being made redundant during the Covid 19 Pandemic as I have now got a job in retail, for a company who treat people with respect and I would never recommend anyone to work for this company and line the owners pockets.

Pros

None other than the people I worked with

Unfairly made redundant

l loved working at EWM as l am interested in clothes and people. The wage , National minimum wage, did not reflect what l was expected to do. I opened up and closed the shop within a Garden Centre on a regular basis. I started on a temporary contract to cover sickness and this lasted 9 months. I then was taken on as a permanent sales assistant. I was made redundant over the telephone on 23rd March.

Pros

Friendly shop with great colleagues

Cons

Not appreciated by top management

Avoid at all costs

Terrible company to work for. Terrible pay for their expectations, workload is high with no staff because of cuts. Female area managers are ogres, not approachable and in fact they are dictators. Non motivating, you get criticized for the littlest thing. No work life balance, people should avoid this company.

Worst Job Move Ever

The atmosphere in working for this company was unbearable. A stressful and anxiety inducing environment. Poor management as unqualified people given jobs in management and appalling treatment of staff. Such a toxic place to work.

Pros

Sales assistants were lovely

Cons

Management, pay, working environment

The staff are fantastic...that is all

There’s not much to say, the wages are awful, staff morale is awful...the only reason I stayed was to gain experience in the industry. Surprised this business has lasted so long.

Pros

Good experience for someone who may not have any in the industry

Cons

Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Edinburgh Woollen Mill. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Edinburgh Woollen Mill with

• Edinburgh Woollen Mill
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?