Edinburgh Woollen Mill

Edinburgh Woollen Mill Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
2.9Job security & advancement

£12,00 for Christmas Meal

I've brought my vast experience and knowledge to the Business when I accepted the job offer. And shared my knowledge with Manager's and the colleagues.Training opportunities very little almost none.The hardest part of the job was getting the Seasonal window display changes by the Visual Merchandiser.

Suitable for older staff

Poor upper management cannot contact anyone at head office. Expect lone working and cut weekly hours so much you can’t take your holidays. No sick pay. Minimum wage no advancement

Pros

No heavy lifting

Cons

See comments above

Awful immoral company

Head office/higher management do not respect staff, under valued, overworked and underpaid. No work life balance, expected to work for nothing. No pay rise, no progression or advancement. Expected to lone trade at times. Threats to cut staff hours. The store I was in I had a lovely team, but it's the company itself that are just awful. They drive their staff into the ground. Avoid at all costs if you cm.

Pros

Good in store team.

Cons

Low pay, No work life balance, No progression or advancement unless managerial roles available in other stores, expected to work to unrealistic deadlines. Treated like slaves.

Unfairly made redundant

l loved working at EWM as l am interested in clothes and people. The wage , National minimum wage, did not reflect what l was expected to do. I opened up and closed the shop within a Garden Centre on a regular basis. I started on a temporary contract to cover sickness and this lasted 9 months. I then was taken on as a permanent sales assistant. I was made redundant over the telephone on 23rd March.

Pros

Friendly shop with great colleagues

Cons

Not appreciated by top management

The staff are fantastic...that is all

There’s not much to say, the wages are awful, staff morale is awful...the only reason I stayed was to gain experience in the industry. Surprised this business has lasted so long.

Pros

Good experience for someone who may not have any in the industry

Cons

Everything else

a good company I would consider applying to again

a pleasant company to work for goals & targets were achievable job offered lots of variety excellent uniform choice and allowance, support for ideas and help when needed with an excellent working staff ratio.I enjoyed my time with this company.

The Edinburgh Woollen Mil

You gain a lot of experience and when you are new everyone is so friendly and helpful, and makes sure you understand before you move onto the next part of the role.

the customers and the staff were very nice

I worked for them for about a year after working for bonmarche for 14 years when i gave up due to my mum illness. The Area manager for the dorchester branch of ewm was very rude and would never listen she made my life a living nightmare her boss was very nice but did not do anything to help he was also full of broken promises . the job it self was enjoyable but the stores are very dated and need refits the carpets are stuck together with tape. they have loads of markdowns on thursdays when if they put the prices down it would be better.

Loved it

Sad to leave Bosses are great treat you with gratefulness. Good training and great hours. Shame I moved area perfect job. Always had an opportunity to assist in other departments. Bosses care about there staff. Best place I ever worked.

Customers great, Work colleges great, Manager stressed,Area un helpful

Whilst working in the Wendover store U thoroughly enjoyed working within a very friendly team,the manager went out of her way to sort out our days off equally and did her best to please everyone although at times she became very stressed. I moved stores to help open up Haddenham where we were left to our own devices with staff leaving left right and centre because of the disorganization of the store. Our manager left after one month and then everything became worse. I was offered a position as supervisor and Manager but I declined as there is not the right training to succeed within those positions. I ended up not going back because of stress and was then diagnosed with breast cancer. My last wage packet was in correct but I am unwell at the moment to phone up about it. The Area Manager as I see it does nothing but stress every store out without any correct guidance. I loved most of my time at Edinburgh Woollen Mill .

Pros

As above

Cons

As above

Jobs at Edinburgh Woollen Mill

See more jobs

I learnt a lot from working here and this job has set me up for customer experiences and has lend on to my further working carrer

Productive and friendly workplace

I worked here for close to two years, this was my first job and the company and the team were great. Really flexible around college and personal life, lovely environment to work in.

Princess street Edinburgh

I am sure the company is ok , and the manager / under manager at this branch fine . But wow , the over inflated ego of the supervisor is something from another world . I could,nt stand it any more . Complete nutcase . Rude and bullying . Highly manipulative . Wish id got another branch .

Structure and well organised Business

The EWM company is well structure and communicates well from the initial induction and throughout employment. Local management can sometimes vary significantly from branch to branch and this can occasionally cause some confusion when cover is arranged.

awful place and awful management

I was employed through Edinburgh Woollen Mill for just over 3 years. It was an awful experience. I was initially employed as an apprentice sales assistant, which wasn't too bad to start with and I felt as though I had something to progress through. However, when I completed my course, it all went downhill. Despite loyalty and making great progress throughout my employment, I was promised numerous pay advances which I never received. I worked full time as an Office Manager, working 8.30am until 6pm, 5 days per week. Yet I still received the same pay that I received whilst working as a sales assistant. There are NO staff benefits when working for Edinburgh Woollen Mill, you feel more like a slave than an employee. This job took over my life and as soon as I got home, I was worrying about work the next day. I am now happy in a new job, with great colleagues and managers, looking forward to my next day rather than dreading it. My boss and the head office staff were absolutely corrupt too and no training was ever given to staff. On a positive note, the assistant manager was lovely and helpful, she was and I bet, still is, worked like a dog, despite health concerns which were ignored.

Not good experience

place itself is good to work, everything depends on the management. in my case management was really bad. literally using sales assistants to work as supervisors, without a proper training and pay rise is not fair, threatening at the same time that you could be fired. after working 9 months, store manager decided to fire me, as I called sickness too many times (?) and did not execute tasks I have been given, and some other just funny excuses. the management approach to workers is just bad, saw other co-worker crying after one of their 'interview'. was promised to get paid for another few shifts after letting me go but never happened, what is worse, I was not paid for past month and promised few weeks.

Pros

discounts

Cons

management, approach to workers, culture, exploitation

Ok

This was my first 'real' job, it taught me customer service skills,and my colleges were kind and helpful when I was unsure on how to do something. I recommend.

Good company to work for

I was encourage to work up the ladder with full support. I started ad s part time sales advisor and then became a supervisor, leading to store manager.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Weekends

Horrendous company to work for

Worked here for two years. Was paid minimum wage even after a promotion and was expected to do far too much for that. Treated any concerns anyone had with no respect what so ever. Colleges were lovely but unfortunately the company doesn't care about their employees.

Pros

Nice collegues

Cons

Low wage for a high rate of work

Amazing Workplace

I was employed at Settle 196 Branch and here the work is amazing, I learned so many different skills and met new people, the hardest part about the whole job, was trying to understand the head management of the building as it was, falling apart, and still is, falling apart, I'd strive to do as much as possible whilst there, I was originally just employed in the cafe side of things, but then I offered to help within the retail section and now I work between Cafe and Retail multiple times a week.

Pros

Lovely Atmosphere

Cons

Head Management

18th century attitude

The Job it's self is not difficult but with extra responsibility as a supervisor you are still only paid the same as a assistant. The company is behind in the times with what people want to buy and the way they treat their staff. Saying that, work colleagues are awesome and you can really have a good day with them. EWM is NOT environmentally friendly using thousands of swing tickets and excessive plastic packaging. Career wise there is no area for progression, manager pay is really bad and area managers can be unrealistic.

Pros

Great work colleagues

Cons

Unrealistic and old fashioned ideals about how to treat work force, poor pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Edinburgh Woollen Mill. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Edinburgh Woollen Mill with

• Edinburgh Woollen Mill
  • Job Security & Advancement
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?