Edinburgh Woollen Mill

Edinburgh Woollen Mill Management reviews

Clear

Unfairly made redundant

l loved working at EWM as l am interested in clothes and people. The wage , National minimum wage, did not reflect what l was expected to do. I opened up and closed the shop within a Garden Centre on a regular basis. I started on a temporary contract to cover sickness and this lasted 9 months. I then was taken on as a permanent sales assistant. I was made redundant over the telephone on 23rd March.

Pros

Friendly shop with great colleagues

Cons

Not appreciated by top management

Horrible

Dont bother with this company, they dont care about employees. You are nothing but a number, they expect you to lone work for hours. The amount of staff for a store is ridiculous. The area managers are, cold rude and unapproachable. Really horrible place to work.

Pros

Cons

Lone working, no head office support, no area manager support, constant criticism

Suitable for older staff

Poor upper management cannot contact anyone at head office. Expect lone working and cut weekly hours so much you can’t take your holidays. No sick pay. Minimum wage no advancement

Pros

No heavy lifting

Cons

See comments above

Not a good working environment

Do not work for this company. It's stressful and the management of the staff is horrible. They do not deserve to have such great staff. The manager of my shop said I need you to resign so I will look good in higher management eyes.she was and is my worst nightmare.

Pros

Cons

Awful management

So very old fashioned

I've never worked with such an unfriendly, two faced bunch in my life. All been there 300 years, no desire to better themselves or put any work in. Massive cliques in the staff and if they don't like you then they will treat you like dirt. Rubbish staff on big contracts, best staff on little contracts.Different rules for different people, some have 10 cigarettes a day but you get the death stare if you go for a drink. No admin skills at all, 1 person took an order, wouldn't tell anyone then hung it out the back without letting people know, the customers must have wondered what was going on! The supervisor did as little as possible as did a lot of the staff, I actually feel for the manager.. fancy managing that lot! The staff would back bite you on your day off and you could not trust anyone! You had to come in 15 minutes earlier on a 6 hour shift to get a break yet the smokers had breaks & several cigarettes in between. That's not my job was the most used line in there! Really unpleasant environment to work in which is a shame as the customers were nice! The manager is nice, the rest.. not so much! This company needs dragging into the 21st century!

Pros

Garden centre spot

Cons

Lazy staff & backstabbing

Awful immoral company

Head office/higher management do not respect staff, under valued, overworked and underpaid. No work life balance, expected to work for nothing. No pay rise, no progression or advancement. Expected to lone trade at times. Threats to cut staff hours. The store I was in I had a lovely team, but it's the company itself that are just awful. They drive their staff into the ground. Avoid at all costs if you cm.

Pros

Good in store team.

Cons

Low pay, No work life balance, No progression or advancement unless managerial roles available in other stores, expected to work to unrealistic deadlines. Treated like slaves.

Avoid at all costs

Terrible company to work for. Terrible pay for their expectations, workload is high with no staff because of cuts. Female area managers are ogres, not approachable and in fact they are dictators. Non motivating, you get criticized for the littlest thing. No work life balance, people should avoid this company.

Worst Job Move Ever

The atmosphere in working for this company was unbearable. A stressful and anxiety inducing environment. Poor management as unqualified people given jobs in management and appalling treatment of staff. Such a toxic place to work.

Pros

Sales assistants were lovely

Cons

Management, pay, working environment

Very poor management styles. You are just a number.

This job is highly stressful. I was bullied by management when I worked here. There is no support from anywhere and the pay and prospects are very poor!

Dreadful place to work

Wouldn’t recommend working here to anyone. Can’t keep staff only been open a short space of time and been through 9 supervisors. Expect you to put your social life on pause for them and drop everything and run if someone else phones in sick. Got a problem and phone higher up and absolutely nothing gets done about it. Not a good place to work.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Edinburgh Woollen Mill?

amazing

serving customers helping them get the right size clothes that they came into the shop to get. management were really good and easy to talk to was seeing how happy some of the customers where when they left

productive and friendly workplace

typical day is greeting customers normally of the older generation and unpacking stock. learn good customer service skills and how to use a till management is normally quite good with good support

Great workplace.

A nice, chilled environment to work in, slow paced, great service also, very thorough with customers, management is great. The whole workplace work as a team, great atmosphere.

Pros

The staff

Cons

Small store

Lovely staff, terrible management

No development, frustratingly low pay for what is expected. Staff treat miserably by higher ups. Shop closed after a year of being told it wouldn't be closing.

friendly staff

typical day includes stock refill, serving customers, stock check, taking payments management are good the hardest part is keeping busy when shop is quiet

Awful

Bullying, no access to complain, no support, stay away , they want blood out of a stone, stay late no extra pay. They open 364 days of the year. No respect for their staff.

Organised, well managed and well staffed, great training, great breaks, reliable hours & holiday.

Training was thorough and management is very patient with employees. I have loved my time here, this job has been secure and consistent. Management and colleagues have treated me very well and been very patient. This job offers long breaks and paid holiday for all positions. Edinburgh Woollen Mill is a shop with high footfall and a diverse range of customers making customer interaction frequent and engaging.

Productive but long hours in summer

Summer time was peak tourist season which meant long hours and busy full on working days. Supportive management who were approachable and easy to get on with.

Part time advised

The syore I worked in used to be friendly happy place to work until several changes in management over a couple of years Staff morale was very low by the time I left and staff were leaving and not getting replaced.

Avoid Awful Company

You are pressured to annoy customers to buy there expensive but cheap looking clothes.Customers do not wish to be hassled when they are looking...if they wish for your help they would ask. I was never given proper training when i started. Awful company to work for avoid!!

Lovely customers

Good work environment but basic pay and horrible higher management. If you are a sales advisor it is a brilliant and friendly place to work. Good customer training also.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Edinburgh Woollen Mill. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement