Edinburgh Woollen Mill

Edinburgh Woollen Mill Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
2.7Pay & benefits

Quiet & underpaying.

Don't be surprised if you are underpaid what you're owed, take notes of hours you work & what your age group is owed hourly, you will need to go back & forth with them about what they owe you.

Pros

Kettle & Fridge

Cons

Die of overheating in the Summer, die of freezing coldness in Winter.

Suitable for older staff

Poor upper management cannot contact anyone at head office. Expect lone working and cut weekly hours so much you can’t take your holidays. No sick pay. Minimum wage no advancement

Pros

No heavy lifting

Cons

See comments above

not the best

My first ever job. I got the job after an 1/2 hour interview on the day. Quiet shop makes for a longer day. The pay is exactly minimum wage and you dont get extras on bank holidys or weekends.

Pros

Cheap Biscuits, No uniform

Cons

No employee benefits, No holidays from November to January, Freezing winters, Boiling summers

Treat people with disrespect

In my view they will drop you to say paying holiday payment I was payed off twice for no reason other than they didn’t want to pay me over Christmas just to make the owner richer

Productive and fum place

Friendly store, cosy place to work, excellent job opportunities with a 20% discount and pension scheme. Nice clean place to work. Flexible with hours

Pros

Tea coffee making facilities

Productive and job satisfaction

Loved helping the elder generation of customers with outfits and making them feel really appreciated. Fast paced worker when It came to keeping the shop up to date with all the latest fashion, displays that would encourage customers to come in. Cashed up and followed through end of week reports and all the finance of the store. Planned rotas. Completed a NVQ in Management and Customer Service skills which was kindly funded through the company as an additional add on to the work experience and future roles. Would think of new ways to promote and advertise new products and clothing range. Was a very humble place to work, the team was small but very supportive and caring. Learnt a lot of figures and background numbers that had to be met. Meet and greet each customer every time they entered the shop was the part i disliked as I feel you can Gage when a customer needs your help and when they are just browsing. Apart from continuous folding, I found I wasn't challenged enough and was not rewarded financial benefits for assisting with management on long term sick which I fulfilled all duties for 6 months plus. Still miss some valuable customers that would come in and bring chocolate buttons and have a chat as they did not have anyone local to come and see. Little Lilly was a diamond. It was more social and elder care which I loved than retail. :-) Great place.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Recognition and money

fun and productive

This is a good place to work as the team are all nice people and get on well. This job is ideal for a part-time job as the hours can be short. this job is possibly good for a student or someone who needs a little bit of retail experience.

Pros

fun workplace

Cons

Sometimes really short/erratic hours, Weekend work

Awful

All managers I worked with bar one were useless. Area manager couldn’t accept sales not being high every single day, zero work benefits, always worked way over my contract hours and HO an absolute joke. Stone Age policies and methods. If you’re graduate like I was then don’t do it, not worth the hassle and having to deal with with managers ego trips.

Cons

Managers, dull work place, Head office, treatment of staff

Difficult to progress

Although I was only at the Edinburgh woollen mills briefly during my time at college I found it difficult to progress. A typical day at work involved stocking shelves, folding clothes and occasionally doing price checks.

Cons

Long hours, short lunch break.

awful place and awful management

I was employed through Edinburgh Woollen Mill for just over 3 years. It was an awful experience. I was initially employed as an apprentice sales assistant, which wasn't too bad to start with and I felt as though I had something to progress through. However, when I completed my course, it all went downhill. Despite loyalty and making great progress throughout my employment, I was promised numerous pay advances which I never received. I worked full time as an Office Manager, working 8.30am until 6pm, 5 days per week. Yet I still received the same pay that I received whilst working as a sales assistant. There are NO staff benefits when working for Edinburgh Woollen Mill, you feel more like a slave than an employee. This job took over my life and as soon as I got home, I was worrying about work the next day. I am now happy in a new job, with great colleagues and managers, looking forward to my next day rather than dreading it. My boss and the head office staff were absolutely corrupt too and no training was ever given to staff. On a positive note, the assistant manager was lovely and helpful, she was and I bet, still is, worked like a dog, despite health concerns which were ignored.

Jobs at Edinburgh Woollen Mill

See more jobs

Poor Company with NO respect for staff

This Company has no respect for any staff, more and more work put on staff to work for minimum wage, no incentive. No Company sick pay, even with several years service. You are expected to work over the hours you are contracted for.

Not a good place to work

Terrible .. No incentives for emplyees No sick pay or bonus no overtime rate. Hrs all over the place. High turnover of staff. Treated badly by area manager. Min wage. Low morale among staff

Pros

Cons

No fixed hrs or shifts

Horrendous company to work for

Worked here for two years. Was paid minimum wage even after a promotion and was expected to do far too much for that. Treated any concerns anyone had with no respect what so ever. Colleges were lovely but unfortunately the company doesn't care about their employees.

Pros

Nice collegues

Cons

Low wage for a high rate of work

Lots of responsibility

Lots of responsibilities given to staff, ie key holder, train other staff, work out targets and percentages and upsell but zero rewards. I worked for minimum wage even on bank holidays and Sundays.

Productive and fun work place

It’s a nice place to work for and I don’t have many complaints about what I do there. I would have liked to be paid more but there’s not a lot I can do about that.

Pros

Fairly laid back

Cons

Not very good pay

Fun Workplace

Approachable managers. Good mix of customers. Treated with respect. Annual training regarding health and safety, customer service training. Good social life.

Pros

atmosphere

Cons

short shifts

Retail Assistant

Generally a good working atmosphere. Learned a lot of different transferable skills. Management are customer focused but fair to staff. More part time employment than full time.

Pros

20% staff discount card

Cons

rate of pay could be higher

Great customers

Great customer base sadly not a great higher management structure often resulting in a disheartened staff team Poor salary structure and little progression opportunities

Pros

Staff discount

terrible workplace

Minimum wage, minimum holidays, no sick pay This company does not care about their staff. the training is very poor. felt demotivated and bullied Terrible Management

Pros

Cons

bad treatment of staff, terrible pay system

Do not work for this company!!!!

Minimum wage, minimum holidays, no sick pay and unrealistic targets also the area manager was a bully. staff have to clean the toilet, kitchen and shop floor, huge heavy deliveries and no appreciation from the area manager.

Pros

Cons

Slave drivers!!!

Depends on the unit

As in any company depends on your manager and their skills, the company itself does not pay good and after a few years felt I was stuck, the H&S regulations are pretty shambles and head office works really slow to fix them. Although money was always on time I had to fight to get paid for hours I spent in hospital after an accident in the shop. If the manager is good the job is not too bad, you will often find that people that has been shorter term with the company are better than the ones stuck in their old ways

Pros

Not many

Cons

Low pay, very little benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Edinburgh Woollen Mill. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement