Edinburgh Woollen Mill

Edinburgh Woollen Mill Work-life balance reviews

Clear
2.7Pay & benefits

Good set of colleagues, bad company values

My whole team got made redundant on the spot through a phone call during the coronavirus pandemic after we went out of our way for the company. Bad values and not a good company at all

Cons

Bad company values

Good team to work with

Enjoyed working in a small team and had a good relationship with the staff. Liked the customers and especially the tourist . Also was not expected to work very late nights.

not the best

My first ever job. I got the job after an 1/2 hour interview on the day. Quiet shop makes for a longer day. The pay is exactly minimum wage and you dont get extras on bank holidys or weekends.

Pros

Cheap Biscuits, No uniform

Cons

No employee benefits, No holidays from November to January, Freezing winters, Boiling summers

Awful immoral company

Head office/higher management do not respect staff, under valued, overworked and underpaid. No work life balance, expected to work for nothing. No pay rise, no progression or advancement. Expected to lone trade at times. Threats to cut staff hours. The store I was in I had a lovely team, but it's the company itself that are just awful. They drive their staff into the ground. Avoid at all costs if you cm.

Pros

Good in store team.

Cons

Low pay, No work life balance, No progression or advancement unless managerial roles available in other stores, expected to work to unrealistic deadlines. Treated like slaves.

Avoid at all costs

Terrible company to work for. Terrible pay for their expectations, workload is high with no staff because of cuts. Female area managers are ogres, not approachable and in fact they are dictators. Non motivating, you get criticized for the littlest thing. No work life balance, people should avoid this company.

Great staff

I really enjoyed working here when I did. The staff were always lovely and the work place was always very relaxed. Work load was up and down, some days would be busier than others.

Productive but long hours in summer

Summer time was peak tourist season which meant long hours and busy full on working days. Supportive management who were approachable and easy to get on with.

Productive and friendly workplace

I worked here for close to two years, this was my first job and the company and the team were great. Really flexible around college and personal life, lovely environment to work in.

Busy but with positive environment

Shifts always different, however they will help u fit shifts round ur life if need be. Wages vary depending on age. Overall nice staff and shifts are very productive.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Change of shifts

Difficult to progress

Although I was only at the Edinburgh woollen mills briefly during my time at college I found it difficult to progress. A typical day at work involved stocking shelves, folding clothes and occasionally doing price checks.

Cons

Long hours, short lunch break.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Edinburgh Woollen Mill?

If you are prepared to work hard it is rewarding

Ewm is a good retail sales stepping stone if you are willing to work hard and progress. It is your typical retail working place which gives customer service its main priority.

Pros

staff discount

Cons

hard work

Enjoyable working atmosphere

Really enjoyable place to work, great colleagues and wonderful working atmosphere. Typical day is serving customers and tidying the store during quiet periods. The hardest time of the year is when it comes to sales and xmas time, as it does get very busy and quite chaotic.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

occasional late finishes

supervisor

Open store, put on tills, customer service focus to reach targets, relay store figures, move stock, unload deliveries. Pressure from store and area managers leaves you feeling undervalued. Little trust in employees to carry out head office operatives - photo evidence of store layout must be submitted weekly to show compliance. Customer interaction is the best part of the job.

Pros

good staff discount

Cons

long hours, terrible managment

Friendly Staff

Enjoy working with fellow staff members. Don't like the fact rotas can change at short notice and late finishing hours not so good too. I enjoy talking to the regular customers wee get.

Fast pace

Fast pace in the morning especially in the summer, need to be able to work in a fast paced environment and good under pressure. All training is given on the day you start.

Pros

20% staff discount

Cons

Long hours with no overtime in the summer

Do not work for the Edinburgh Woollen Mill

This company do not care about their staff. Health and Safety is very poor, putting staff and customers at risk. No company sick pay,but they pay Area Managers and above if they are off sick. General Staff have to paint the toilets,shop floors etc,total slave labour. Bonuses are totally unachieveable,and training is very poor. The company is full of Bullies,were you get threatening e-mails,if your store is under performing, and making people demotivated. And they wonder why people are leaving.

Pros

nothing

Cons

long hours, no staff moral

Great Company, loved it

Typical day would involve stock replenishment which was fun for myself as i enjoy organizing and dividing. I also enjoyed the till service getting the chance to speak with the customers while helping them through the till process. The management were great, very supportive if I had any questions or worries. The work environment was wonderful the staff were all so friendly and caring, which made it much easier to work and feel happy and safe.

Pros

Great staff, wonderful environment, friendly customers

Cons

long hours some days, heavy lifting of boxes

Secure employement with sometimes foolhardy management

It's a pleasure to work there if you have an excellent team who support you throughout the busy time (i.e. the Fringe Festival) and when the Manager is busy somewhere else and not causing unnecessary drama... It would be a dream job if the Head Office took under consideration our suggestions about hiring more people to work during the busy months as it is sometimes a nightmare to manage for only 3 people. If you like a fast pace environment and you know how to find something to do at any given time it's the perfect place for you! Unfortunately it's necessary to work sometimes till 11PM for the same money as during the day shift.

Pros

Friendly people

Cons

Long hours, condescending management

Great staff and environment

A typical day at work for me is a five hour shift on a Saturday and Sunday. The management at EWM do strive to be helpful, and I've gotten along very well with both of the managers I've had so far. I get along well with my colleagues, in our motley crew of six. As we've all been there quite a while we get along quite well.

injoy working with my colleagues

my job is to check that the shop is looking presentable, then see if there is any stock to be put out , or if there is anything that's needed folding or put into size order ,then make sure that the till area is clean and tidy for when are customers came in ,the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and making sure that thay leave feeling happy and have got what thay were looking for ,and knowing that thay will return ,

Pros

not getting enough lunch hour

Cons

working 8 hours only having 1 hour break

nice place to work

meeting customers, nice colleagues to work with, flexibility for working on alternate weekends and no late night working, learned cash up on computer system

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Edinburgh Woollen Mill. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement