EF Education First

United Kingdom149 reviews

Found 149 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,073 reviews
summerlessonteachingteacheractivityrolelongeducation

Fun

working as a course leader is great, you can meet people from all over the world and you can travel and do a lot of different activities everyday. The senior staff is always available to help you.

Online teaching mediocre but short lived

Unfortunately the Chinese government regulations changed so online teachers lost their jobs. It was a simple enough job. Could be a bit isolating as you work alone but very hit and miss with the kids you taught.

Insights into EF Education First

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager

Fun workplace

You will have the time of your life working for EF. I love my workmates and my job and feel excited to go to the office. They also promote lots of networking events so you can meet folks from other teams.

EF Tour director

This is a terrible job in which you’ll be thrown in at the deep end with hardly any training and then be expected to successfully lead tours around Europe staying at budget hotels. The quality of the suppliers used for accommodation and meals by EF tours especially in England, France and Italy is generally dreadful and the adults on the tours are generally complaining because of this (quite rightly in my opinion) all the time.

Pros

Good tips

Cons

Everything else

Great company

Great company to work for amazing team loads of staff events and free food sick pay looked after me when i was in hospital plus medical insurance benifits free gym membership

Pros

Gym

Goof

Amazing place to work, I worked online teaching and it was so amazing. All my students were great and the online team were very supportive. I highly recommend

Passive-aggressive managers, unsatisfactory breaks, emphasis on superficial nonsense rather than educational values.

The relocation of EF Executive courses to Hills road has been a disaster for teachers and students alike: Breaks down from 20 mins to 10; lunch down from 1 hour to 40mins; unpaid meetings during breaks; cuts in activity payments; 3 hour training sessions, with dubious relevance to teaching, on Friday afternoons (which is absolutely contrary to the prevailing wisdom regarding wellbeing in the workplace and work-life balance).Inept, passive-aggressive top management.

Pros

All the cake and balloons you can eat.

Cons

Inept, passive-aggressive top management.

Che esperienza fantastica!!

EF è un mondo internazionale fatto dì fantastiche persone con le quale crescere e imparare!!

Pros

Ambiente. Stipendio. Internazionalità.

EF Kids teacher

The whole recruitment process with this company was very efficient, then we were allowed to get on with the training ourselves. I believe we were paid for 3-4 hours work to complete the training whereas realistically it took me about two working days to do it properly and know everything confidently.Not to be discouraged, I carried on determined to make a crack at this new job during the pandemic. Help was given by a remote mentor which was a lovely personal touch.At last I was allowed to give classes on the "kids platform" and it was relatively straightforward. Ongoing it became addictive, the actual job is quite easy, although you need a lot of "grit" to fix technical problems. I was lucky as I'd worked in I.T. before. If you are unable to get onto the platform you'll probably not get paid for the lesson but as long as you know how to communicate with the company and justify absence you probably won't lose your job.This job has been a bit of extra cash alongside a main job that pays twice as much per hour. Overall as you hardly have to prepare the lessons, it's fine, but don't depend on it if you need to have a certain amount of income to survive. Hours and student volume can change week to week.Professional development is possible as you get observed on lessons.

Pros

Cultural experience working with Chinese

Cons

Not great pay for the UK

Decent enough

My time with Education First was memorable but they could have had more opportunity for career progression. Good boss though and nice work ethic. Would consider again.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

No career progression

Fun and supportive

A great place to work.Choose the hours to suit you.Lots of tech support.Encouragement to progress with annual salary upgrades if you meet the criteria.Can sub out or take on extra work if you want to.Online work on weekdays and at weekends.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Need to work a lot of hours to bring home enough money

I loved working in EF. I taught children and it was really good. The support was always there in case of any problems and the lesson material was always appropriate and fun for the children.

Poor management and stressful

The job itself is stressful and requires all of your time and energy. The working times are unpredictable as things are always being cancelled or added. They never gave you a heads up for ANYTHING. Moreover, the management was all over the place and never gave you a straight answer, very uncooperative and unprofessional. They didn't pay me for three weeks and I basically had to beg them for my money. I DO NOT recommend working here.

Pros

Free lunch and new experiences

Cons

Long hours, poor management, unprofessional behaviour

Low pay and no flexibility

The salary is just above the national minimum wage. For teachers with Bachelors degrees (which is a minimum requirement) it is a disgrace.There is no flexibility! Once you have booked your hours you have a problem to cancel because they will send you very rude emails (I am talking about the UK centre) asking why you cancelled and reminding you of your 'KPLs'. Ever since they have split between adults' and kids' platform, the new management of the adults' platform .....well let's say this.... leaves a lot to be desired.

Pros

Excellent students, working from home

Cons

No flexibility, bullying mamagement, low pay....

A good company with good support but low pay

EF Education First treat their teachers well generally, I've heard lots of good stories and there is a lovely Facebook group where everyone supports each other. Working hours are flexible and it is an easy system to learn and lessons are well planned out. Pay is poor, in my opinion, considering the qualification we need and what we do.

Pros

Flexible hours, great support system

Cons

Low pay

Style over substance

You are required to use their own books which are pathetic - confusing, dull and problematic. I spent so extra time planning lessons (whole weekends) and their books were tedious.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Course books

Productive and fun

great staff / team. Different cultures coming together. Hard workers who enjoyed the company. Flexible working hours, but long for others in tge EF establishment.

Pros

flexible hours

Lovely company

Welcoming, helpful and friendly company who want you to succeed. They pay a little bit less than some other companies, but they hire you as employed which is great, and they are extremely helpful when you are new to teaching. I am only sorry that I had to leave suddenly as I was offered a full time job and potential career elsewhere, or I would still be there.

Pros

very nice people

Cons

takes a long time to build an income

Very fun place to work

I had the best experience working at EF as they are always caring about you and your happiness in within the environment of work. The job was always intense but at the same time relaxed as the team mates are the best.

Friendly colleagues. Great students

Working in an international environment has been culturally diverse. There is never a dull moment at EF International academy and no 2 days are the same.

Pros

Free trips

Cons

Long hours and some weekend work

Untrustworthy in the extreme

I'd spent a year working for EF when they cancelled my contract with four days notice and no explanation. We all deserve better companies than this...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EF Education First. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement