Element Materials Technology

Element Materials Technology Employee Reviews

Overall element isn’t a bad place to work the management is a bit poor in the one I was working at. But other then that was an alright place to work..
Element has been a great place to work. There have been some changes over the last 5 years but on the whole these have been positive and for the best. There is good camaraderie within the team(s), and good support from the senior management team, with a clear drive for continuous improvement and focus on developing the team. Element has some great core values, and is showing an increased emphasis on the value of their people. I have seen good mentoring, flexibility and opportunity for individual growth. I've enjoyed my last 5 years at Element and i'm looking forward to many more.
Pros
A safe working environment.
Cons
Unless you are related by blood or marriage to a current member of staff, don't waste your time at Element.Favouritism is rife.Painfully poor management. Although there's the exception of a couple of professional managers. The senior staff, line managers and HR management alike, are unfortunately some of the worst I have had the misfortune to work with. A misogynistic manager makes for an unpleasant working environment for all. The difference between salaries for staff with the same job title and the same experience is disgustingly unfair. For a UKAS accredited lab, the corners they cut just to save a bit of money is shocking. You could work yourself into the ground (as many do) for this company and nobody would bat an eyelid as you are simply just a number. They have an incredibly high staff turnover and don't seem to be making any progress in rectifying this. Poor wageExtremely poor managementPoor moral Poor professionalismGood if you need the experience to move on to a better job, as seems to be the way.
Pros
Weekends/Pay day
Cons
Management/Salary/Attitude to staff/Working environment
After almost 8 years within the company being within the lab for two takeovers, time has come to move on, lack of progression and willingness to invest in staff training in areas that need it the most has lead me to leave, poor management and the HR manager is totally unprofessional bringing my personal life into conversations when being told I'm leaving, they really don't care for the staff only the amount of work they can get you to do in a day. Pay is good for a starter after some experience but if your looking for a career look elsewhere, unless your related to others within the building you won't get far. Also no matter how hard you work or bend over backwards there is no sense of appreciation from higher management, they are happy for you to slave away to line there pockets.
Pros
The team i was with
Cons
Lack of progression, pay, unappreciated
Element took over the company I worked for. They abolished our yearly bonus, froze our pay and gave the technicians a much heavier workload. Needless to say I left and went to a company where I was better appreciated.
Pros
None i could find
Cons
Low pay for industry
It was a pleasure to work at Element Hull. The management is supportive and communicative, the laboratory well equipped, there is no bullying whatsoever, the company is well organised and there is clear communication from the top management. I would not have left if it weren't for covid slow down.
Pros
safe bicycle storage, showers, gym
I love working somewhere that my manager listens to my concerns and actually helps me sort anything I'm worried or concerned about. I feel valued and am praised for hard work that I put in - meaning you feel more inclined to do any extra which is asked of you. During the COVID crisis many of us have been set up to work from home and been provided with everything we need.
Terrible management, too many chiefs that do little work and not enough actual workers, minimum wage. No renumeration, low staff morale. No recognition of effort. On call, low staff morale.
Pros
Staff parking
Cons
Wouldn't recommend
Some great people at Element and some good opportunities to gain experience. The downside is the pay is low, they will leave you short staffed with only half of your team but still expect 100% on time delivery, leading to low morale. Staff turnover is horrendous so often you get thrown in at the deep end with very limited training. Feels like your always under scrutiny but your hard work goes completely unnoticed which is a shame because it could be a good place to work if managers had a slightly different mindset. Not sure if I would recommend it, maybe for someone fresh out of uni looking for experience but if you need to earn a half decent wage this is not the place to be.
Highly dynamic environment where you are challenged to deliver. You are encouraged to come up with innovative ideas to improve efficiency and productivity. Excellent career progression opportunities if you have the capability and can demonstrate that you can deliver under pressure. Management does put an effort to get staff feedback and make things happen. You get a new challenge everyday which keeps the job exciting and challenging.
No progression/additional training No food allowance/subsistence if you workaway No travel costs covered if you're based on a Magnox site No support
Low salary, if your face fits you'll get more money and an easy ride. Only work here for lab experience, don't come here looking for a career, you won't find it. Everyone is related to each other, not good as this causes favouritism within teams and zero ability for effective management.
Element has a strong focus on staff learning and development, which is refreshing. It has the ability to invest in the business units and people. The safety of its people and customers is paramount. The team I work with are highly technical and it is a great environment to learn and grow. The downsides are that as a big organisation there are a lot of 'one-size' fits all procedures to follow, which can be frustrating and time consuming.
Ambiente di lavoro molto stimolante e interessante dal punto di vista ingegneristico. PossibilitĂ  di lavorare con clienti che sviluppano tecnologie di avanguardia nei campi di aerospace e Oil & Gas. Purtroppo, management focalizzato solo sugli indici di performance economica che non esitano a sacrificare risorse valide nel personale per un riduzione dei costi nell'immediato: visione davvero miope.
Unless your desperate don’t go there. Management have no skills in dealing with employees and offer no support when it’s needed the most. Moral is very very low! Very high staff turnover and very low salaries. Don’t waste your time here much better places to be.
Worked their for a few months, nothing wrong with how I worked, got praise afew times...then...all of a sudden, meetings were put in place with Management and HR - got given LOADS of reasons none of which added up, then, BAM! contract terminated.
Pros
decent hours for me
Cons
getting the boot, management
Really bad place to work! management have not one clue how to manage the place or the safety of the three departments that are within the so called super depot. many things get brushed under the carpet and there is a lot of bullying that goes on at the wednesbury branch. if you are a hard working person you will not get on at this place nor will you make any advancements in pay, its very much there way or the high way
Pros
there is a pool table, free money for just turning up
Cons
if i didnt see or hear it, it never happend culture.
Would avoid the conditioning room/goods in, minimum wage, maximum effort, zero appreciation. Supervisors and management i wouldn't trust as far as i could throw them. Poor training schedule, but be ready to be penalized for not knowing what you have not been shown. Nothing was easy to learn, the job is even harder when given samples with no information, spend to much time getting information needed. Typical day is physical and exhaustive, tiresome trying to get information. In the end hardest part of the day was going in, the best part was going home. If your working or not stay where you are trust me you'll be better off. That said there are some really nice people there and unfortunately the odd one or two that would happily stick a knife in your back without even blinking.
Pros
Free tea/coffee, mostly nice people
Cons
Management/supervisors
As I have been working for Exova, we have just been taken over by Element recently. I personally have enjoyed my time here as a whole so far. Colleagues are friendly and welcoming, managers are easy to talk to. Any problems I have ever had in the work place have been solved. Salary could be better - although there is room to progress and earn more, there are many other similar job roles at other companies with higher starting salaries. Like many other workplaces there are the occasional problems, good days and bad days, but nothing that has affected my time at work massively. I can't speak for other areas of Element, but I would recommend my branch in Stevenage to work at.
I have worked so hard for this company and taken additional workload with no gain. It has given long hours, travelling long distances, high pressure meetings etc. The company likes the portray itself as a good employer. I'm not seeing it now...and can't see it arriving at any point in the future. So many people have left (not of their choosing). It's so dispiriting. In one hand, I do believe the company wants to keep me, and I have performed well. However I know that I'm now being taken advantage of. Any issue is brushed off because managers are reluctant to ask the question with the overly sensitive and emotional responses from leadership. The frequent reminders to complete feedback questionnaires offer no insight into how people are feeling. Nothing is shared. I gave Element the time to prove itself. Each passing day it's getting worse and became worse since we took over Exova. We overreached ourselves. Time to brush up the CV and move on. Maybe when I have a new role I can be more frank about my experience as I know this is viewed and I don't trust our leadership while I am here.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Long hours, poor executive leadership, no trust, micro management, no recognition, poorly planned implementation of systems
Managers are unprofessional, training is non existent, underhand office politics, no development, unrealistic work loads. A very unhappy work place. Female management on a power trip but lack fundamental management experience and try to make up for it with 'bull dog' management style. Management are manipulative and deceitful. There is a lot of information to understand in order to complete the roles but no support given and shoddy rushed training given yet expectations high. HR turn a blind eye to work place bullying and harassment.
Cons
Worst management. Bad staff morale