Element Materials Technology

• Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks
  • Support from manager

A good starting point

Traditional role in construction / engineering, a great place where to start.(+) Working hours flexibility and competent office managers.(-) Corporate procedures not in line with actual operations at client-facing level.

Awful people and even worse company

Not a place to work for. Unless you are friendly with management or are related/sleeping with them you have no chance of getting any higher promotion. If you don't "fit in" you'll know about it and be made to feel like an outcast. Company cares more about money than the quality of the work, doesn't care as long as clients are getting a result even if it's rushed and most likely incorrect. Pay is a joke for what is expected from you, bare minimum pay is all I can say. Don't set your heart on good pay here. Made to feel bad if you don't do overtime/are not open to it. Be careful with sharing any information with staff, management or HR, word gets around quick here. Staff drop ike flies. Constantly looking for new staff to replace others rather than adding more staff. Massive amount of clients and ot enough staff to meet deadlines correctly.

Pros

OK work hours

Cons

Awful people, Awful pay, No proper progression in job role, Pay just doesn't cut it, Effort put into work isn't appreciated. Pay fluctuations are a joke

Negative, Managers do not accept feedback and talk down to colleagues

Awful customer service, the worst I have seen working in a company, so many unhappy clients. Training is not good. Managers talk down to staff and think they are superior. Feedback is given by Management but colleagues responses are discounted. Staff generally seem unhappy, it is a negative place to work.

Pros

Hybrid working

Cons

Not appreciated

Awful, take advantage fresh graduates who do not know their worth

The pay here is shocking, graduates with degrees and masters degrees being paid barely over minimum wage. Pay rises given in April were less than half the rate of inflation and none existent if you had worked there less than 6 months (would be fine but there is no increase in pay upon passing probation, so have to wait over a year for any pay increase). Senior management and HR showed nothing but apathy to this, essentially saying ‘it is how it is and if you don’t like it, leave’.General vibe of the workplace is depressing, everyone seems to plod along with no enthusiasm, they know that the company doesn’t care about them and know it will never change.The job itself is intensely boring, the same thing all day every day, no variety and very little opportunity to diversify what you do, it is the least engaging job I have ever had and since no context is given to the work you feel like a hamster on a wheel going absolutely nowhere.If you’re a graduate looking to step into your first ‘proper job’ hold off and find something worthwhile, your current job in hospitality will pay pretty much the same and will be more engaging than working here.

Pros

Everyone is on the same boat and can’t wait to leave Monday to Friday, 9-5 (for now, apparently Saturday working is soon to be implemented

Cons

Boring seemingly pointless work, Pay is atrocious, Feeling disposable and easily replaceable, Depressing work environment, Awful company culture, Very little progression

Great company to work for

I would recommend this company to anyone. I’m proud to be part of the great team. Healthy balance. Supportive environment. If you want progress this company will help you.

Boring and repetitive

The job can be pretty boring, be prepared to be doing the same thing all day everyday.Pay is below par for the output expected from you but there's some good people here.

Terrible place to work

Terrible management. They don’t care about your well-being or your health, they just want people who work themselves to death so they can hit their targets.

Pros

Income

Cons

Everything else

Great

Was a great role to be in when I worked for Element a few years ago. Good training and culture. I only left for a change in career but would recommend.

Do not waste your life here

Worked here for a couple of years. Worked so hard here for no credit, no praise, no promotion.The managers are a joke, the whole management team are a big group of friends who all look after each other and have there select favourites. Every employee is treated differently. Some mornings you might not even get a hello. Just straight in to your task. The staff turnover is ridiculous often with 25-30 percent of the staff leaving every year. It’s a telling sign of an underpaid toxic working environment. The way people are treated in this company is disgusting.You have to and grind for years to get any kind of promotion. The wage disparity between staff with the same role is shocking. The worst thing is everyone knows making for a horrible working environment. You could ask 90 percent of the staff and they would all say the same thing.Underpaid, undervalued and over worked. Do not waste your time here, it’s a job and that is it. Don’t expect a good workplace let alone a career. You will end up defeated and depressed just like all of the staff there.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Management, working environment, wage disparity, staff turnover

Clique

Managers need much better training, unable to cope with current company expansion. Company bases value on how many hours you're willing to work, not the quality of the work.

Pros

Consistent hours

Decent for upto 1 year of lab experience, terrible beyond that

Pros:You gain decent insight into how the chemical analytical testing industry functions.There is some room for in-house cross training / covering a variety of methods and techniques. But it isn't easy to make it happen.As for the cons:The management is shockingly poor:- Passive aggressive notes are sometimes left from HR.- 'Clock in' times are monitored due to people historically taking advantage. A new rule is now enforced where we must 'clock in' at least 2 minutes before our actual due starting time, and 'clock out' at least 1 minute after our actual due starting time. Otherwise, we are marked as late and our manager berates us about it.- The wrong people get hired / promoted / trained. Ability is not recognised. Compliance and mediocrity are praised.Work quality is often sacrificed in favour of meeting deadlines. This is especially true when we are slightly behind or understaffed.They advertise roles at Element so much because they bleed staff quickly; typically my lab would have 5 people with >1 year experience, and about 10 with <1 year experience at any given time.Progression is basically impossible beyond prep tech -> analyst -> senior analyst (5 years minimum). The bumps in pay are about 2k each. If you devote enough years to working here, there's a chance you can work up to a management role.The salary is objectively bad, given that this is actually skillful work if you are anywhere above the prep tech roles.The company refuses to provide a reference until 1 month after you finish your notice period. And even then, this reference is merely one to -

Pros

Parking, job security

Cons

Terrible pay, almost no career progression, poor management

Nice staff

If you’re in the right area, you will have an easy time. However when it’s busy, they managers expect you to be superhuman. Overall not a bad place to work.

Pros

No weekends

Cons

Wages

Growing company with lots of opportunities and a good collaborative atmosphere

Element has been a great place to work. There have been some changes over the last 5 years but on the whole these have been positive and for the best. There is good camaraderie within the team(s), and good support from the senior management team, with a clear drive for continuous improvement and focus on developing the team. Element has some great core values, and is showing an increased emphasis on the value of their people. I have seen good mentoring, flexibility and opportunity for individual growth. I've enjoyed my last 5 years at Element and i'm looking forward to many more.

Pros

A safe working environment.

Male chauvinism

Unless you are related by blood or marriage to a current member of staff, don't waste your time at Element.Favouritism is rife.Painfully poor management. Although there's the exception of a couple of professional managers. The senior staff, line managers and HR management alike, are unfortunately some of the worst I have had the misfortune to work with. A misogynistic manager makes for an unpleasant working environment for all. The difference between salaries for staff with the same job title and the same experience is disgustingly unfair. For a UKAS accredited lab, the corners they cut just to save a bit of money is shocking. You could work yourself into the ground (as many do) for this company and nobody would bat an eyelid as you are simply just a number. They have an incredibly high staff turnover and don't seem to be making any progress in rectifying this. Poor wageExtremely poor managementPoor moral Poor professionalismGood if you need the experience to move on to a better job, as seems to be the way.

Pros

Weekends/Pay day

Cons

Management/Salary/Attitude to staff/Working environment

If your face fits

After almost 8 years within the company being within the lab for two takeovers, time has come to move on, lack of progression and willingness to invest in staff training in areas that need it the most has lead me to leave, poor management and the HR manager is totally unprofessional bringing my personal life into conversations when being told I'm leaving, they really don't care for the staff only the amount of work they can get you to do in a day. Pay is good for a starter after some experience but if your looking for a career look elsewhere, unless your related to others within the building you won't get far. Also no matter how hard you work or bend over backwards there is no sense of appreciation from higher management, they are happy for you to slave away to line there pockets.

Pros

The team i was with

Cons

Lack of progression, pay, unappreciated

Left after 6 weeks

Element took over the company I worked for. They abolished our yearly bonus, froze our pay and gave the technicians a much heavier workload. Needless to say I left and went to a company where I was better appreciated.

Pros

None i could find

Cons

Low pay for industry

Equal Opportunity Employer

It was a pleasure to work at Element Hull. The management is supportive and communicative, the laboratory well equipped, there is no bullying whatsoever, the company is well organised and there is clear communication from the top management. I would not have left if it weren't for covid slow down.

Pros

safe bicycle storage, showers, gym

Supportive place with good morals

I love working somewhere that my manager listens to my concerns and actually helps me sort anything I'm worried or concerned about. I feel valued and am praised for hard work that I put in - meaning you feel more inclined to do any extra which is asked of you. During the COVID crisis many of us have been set up to work from home and been provided with everything we need.

Terrible management

Terrible management, too many chiefs that do little work and not enough actual workers, minimum wage. No renumeration, low staff morale. No recognition of effort. On call, low staff morale.

Pros

Staff parking

Cons

Wouldn't recommend

Half reccomend

Some great people at Element and some good opportunities to gain experience. The downside is the pay is low, they will leave you short staffed with only half of your team but still expect 100% on time delivery, leading to low morale. Staff turnover is horrendous so often you get thrown in at the deep end with very limited training. Feels like your always under scrutiny but your hard work goes completely unnoticed which is a shame because it could be a good place to work if managers had a slightly different mindset. Not sure if I would recommend it, maybe for someone fresh out of uni looking for experience but if you need to earn a half decent wage this is not the place to be.

Fast pace dynamic environment

Highly dynamic environment where you are challenged to deliver. You are encouraged to come up with innovative ideas to improve efficiency and productivity. Excellent career progression opportunities if you have the capability and can demonstrate that you can deliver under pressure. Management does put an effort to get staff feedback and make things happen. You get a new challenge everyday which keeps the job exciting and challenging.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Element Materials Technology. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Element Materials Technology with

• Element Materials Technology
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?