Encore Care Homes

Encore Care Homes Employee Reviews

Would not recommend, sadly new higher management, not based on site, have no idea about running the home.Trying to change contracts that have been in place for a long time with NO flexibility. Dictatorship, and if you query, there's the door. Shame as the home and nurses and carers are amazing. So many changes of Manager over the years. Highly questionable. No respect for staff or loyalty it seems. Working through the pandemic has been so hard and redundancies in a pandemic in a care home, problems ahead surely. I would not recommend
Pros
free lunch
8 March 2021
Thank you for your review - we welcome all feedback as it helps us to improve our services, for staff as well as residents. We pride ourselves on the amazing people who work at each of our care homes, as our teams are central to bringing smiles to our residents’ faces. Yes, there has been a recent restructure of the business, which has meant that some positions have been made redundant. We appreciate that working through this pandemic has been challenging and at times, has taken its toll on the teams who have worked tirelessly to take care of our residents. We also understand that there has been an unsettling period of management change. However, we are committed to delivering high quality of care to residents, as well as ensure a positive, happy work environment for our employees. Therefore, please bear with us during this transition whilst we appoint the right person who can inspire, lead, and support our teams.If you would like the opportunity to discuss these matters further, please ask your Home Manager for my direct contact details and I would be more than happy to meet with you in person. – Mike Lyons (Managing Director).
dont even bother looking , this place has gone really down hill since the new "management " took over, not paying on time , getting rid of valued staff, and not bothering to hire enough staff but happy to shove as many residents in as possible meaning residents dont enough care and attention and putting them at risk, all because the top pen pushing managers are money grabbing t**ts. members of staff being spiteful towards each other and not being team players, most with terrible manual handling skills, it's all down to management they dont have a clue about care homes their business men not care home managers they couldnt give a c**p about the residents just their money . Absolute shambles should be shut down.
Pros
Cons
Everything you can think of
I would avoid working here unless you literally have no other options whatsoever. I really enjoyed working here in the very beginning but changes were constantly being implemented and there is little consistency with the role in terms of the team you will be working with, the hours you work or your responsibilities. The shifts are long, which is not an issue in itself but the expectation is that you arrive early for your shift and always finish late. I have mental health problems and in my opinion certain senior staff members treated me differently because of this. You cannot really raise a complaint about a particular member of staff because they are informed and will approach you about it and it is made very awkward. My manager at the time was amazing - unfortunately they were very overworked too so they only had very limited amount of time to spend with staff :( The worst part about this care home is the workplace culture generally. There is little motivation and everyone just appears completely demoralised. Despite lovely residents and some great co-workers, it was not an enjoyable place for me to work at all.
Pros
Free lunches, working every other weekend, some other staff members
Cons
Long hours, extremely stressful, poor pay, culture of bullying
This company is dreadful to work for you are simply a number. The carers do so much and due to recent redundancies the carers job description is growing and growing. The redundancies made mean that the carers are picking up all the extra work, they are already over worked and the staffing levels not enough so they are literally run ragged. They can’t provide the level of care the residents are paying for as there aren’t enough of them. The staff themselves are amazing, they adapt and roll with every punch, all the time the residents come first. Encore have some very special people working for them it’s just sad that the management don’t seem to appreciate them. The wages are dreadful and the hours long. I think upper management should spend a day shadowing to see just how much they are expecting from their staff. If it carries on people are not going to cope and will quite honestly burn out. The money is dreadful, appalling for the amount staff do. The overtime rate has been reduced and with the ever growing workload the carers have never enough staff,
Pros
Great workmates
Cons
Not enough staff / poor money
When I first joined Fairmile Grange it was a great place to be working - training was effective and work was enjoyable. Over time, I reported several bullying issues regarding a senior member of staff, and absolutely nothing was done about this. I felt completely uncared for. Upon talking to other members of staff, they had also had similar bullying issues. It is disappointing as the manager shouldn't be ignoring this - it costed my mental health massively. The pay is also not enough for the carers, yet all the higher-ups got a pay rise! Finally, the higher-ups have absolutely no appreciation for staff. I worked long hours, working my absolute hardest, and received no gratitude. It was very hard seeing someone who had been with us for one month receive a certificate when I got nothing! You should really show appreciation to those who are there working hard daily.
Pros
Paid break.
Cons
No staff appreciation, bad pay for nature of work.
Senior management and interim managers have ruined the care homes. The overall staff teams are great and we all love and care for our residents as our family, whatever role we are employed in, and most staff go above and beyond, but that isn’t appreciated by the right people. Recent changes that fairly new management have made are making the homes not what they used to be, and staff worry for the future of our residents safety and care. Once a happy caring environment is no more. Why change something that works. Get rid of management and their salaries?! And keep the caring staff team that once was.
Pros
The residents
Cons
False promises, lack of communication
8 March 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We understand that morale has been low recently, and we are working hard to improve this. The management is currently in the process of arranging to visit all the homes, to listen to concerns and frustrations raised by our employees and hopefully to rectify issues, and reassure.We are aware there has been an unsettling period of management change. However, we are committed to delivering high quality of care to residents, as well as providing the right leadership to ensure a positive, happy work environment for our employees. We want to ensure that we appoint the right person who can inspire, lead, and support our teams, therefore, I ask that you please bear with us during this transition.If you would like the opportunity to discuss these matters further, please ask your Home Manager for my direct contact details and I would be more than happy to meet with you in person. – Mike Lyons (Managing Director).
great team, manager is the best I ever work with, supported and straight up.Very friendly and fun with the residents. More Training in Dementia would be good.
Pros
Team
I decided to change my career a couple of year ago, and wasn't sure about care. Recently joined Encore, and I thoroughly enjoying the role. It is demanding, but teamwork is great and I love the residents! I've learned so much from colleague.It has been lot of pressure recently but understand challenge with Covid. the team have supported each other all through. It's been a good decision to change my job.
Pros
Team, training support, food
Cons
Quite demanding if you choose
This is a good company to work for. There has been a lot of change recently, but the majority of the team think it was much needed. The teamwork is great, the job is very challenging and more demanding but really rewarding so far!
Pros
Great Teamwork, residents
Busy care home, especially at the moment, but we have a great team that all pull together to make sure that the people that live here really do get well looked after. I've learned a lot and progressed into a more senior role as a carer. Overtime bonus is really good and helps me earn a lot more
Pros
Overtime bonus, lovely people
Cons
hard work
When I first joined Encore they had great values and the directors of the company cared about their staff and residents. The new directors, well they just see everyone as a number. It's now a money making scheme not a caring culture. Even the home managers are awful and if they're not "yes men/women" they're booted out the door. I'm lucky that my colleague are all there for the same reason and that's to provide gold standard care for our residents, which we will continue to do despite the lack of compassion and care from the higher ups. We also used to be provided with a hot meal on a 12 hour shift, now all you're allowed is a sandwich to see you through. Redundancies have been made putting extra pressure on care staff.
Pros
Colleagues and residents
Cons
Most other things
15 February 2021
Thank you for your review - we welcome all feedback as it helps us to improve our services, for staff as well as residents. Our culture centres on building teams and creating an engaged and empowered workforce. We pride ourselves on the amazing people who work at each of our care homes, as our teams are integral to making the everyday a special day for residents. Yes, we are an ambitious company. However, we are driven by something much more than just profit. We are driven by our passion to invest in people and to create a legacy of care. We recognise that staff morale has been low recently, and we are listening to our team members to establish the things that are important to you because as such, they are important to us. Consequently, the action has been taken from a recent meeting held with staff, to reinstate the hot meals option for anyone who works more than a 6-hour shift.We are always striving to improve. However, if you would like the opportunity to discuss these matters further, please ask your Home Manager for my direct contact details and I would be more than happy to meet with you in person. – Mike Lyons (Managing Director)
I would strongly discourage any body from working for Encore. Once a lovely company to work for who truely reflected their core values. However since the appointment of new higher management within the company and at home level this is not the case and their has been a rapid decline in staff morale. They have recently made jobs cuts and redundancies to many job roles. This is now run very much like a corporate business and not a caring environment. Management at home level and company level do not support staff or show any empathy. It's just a going through the motions and lip service approach. Anybody that does not agree with Encores current vision is soon dispatched with 'out through the door!' Currently a very sad state of affairs. Think very carefully before you apply for a job with this company.
Pros
Very friendly care, nurse and all departments team.
Cons
Lack of managerial support
15 February 2021
I am concerned to read your review and disappointed that a member of our team feels this this way. I do not want any member of our team to feel frustrated or unsupported. We recognise that staff morale has been low recently, and we are listening to our team members to establish the things that are concerning, or frustrating staff, and how we can resolve these, or support team members further. I would like the chance to discuss these issues that you have raised in more detail, to see if I can rectify any of them for you, or indeed, to learn where we might improve our care service to residents. Therefore, if you would like the opportunity to discuss these matters further, please ask your Home Manager for my direct contact details and I would be more than happy to meet with you in person.– Mike Lyons (Managing Director).
I have worked for Encore Care Homes for 15 months now. The pandemic has been a difficult time, however our team and hard work has seen us through. I would definitely recommend working at Encore to anyone who is looking for a great career in health and social care. I have learnt so much in the last 15 months and feel fully supported by my manager. If you like to get stuck in and work hard for the benefit of others, then Encore is the place for you.
Pros
Free lunches, supportive team
I joined Encore from a larger care provider as I had heard good things. The residents needs are always put first but management acknowledge that it's the care team that make all the difference so they do everything they can to help. Would recommend and the pay is good.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Not enough process with admin tasks
This place is very slowly and surely going down the pan! I would not recommend this place to work at all! Communication is a big zero, no respect for any of of it staff and they’ve just made people redundant, they want to squeeze every little out of you for nothing in return! They’ve even stop hot meals, claiming a sandwich Is enough for a 12hr shift but I have to say, the residents are so lovely and I have never worked with such an amazing bunch of carers
Pros
Paid breaks but that’s it
Cons
Everything except the carers
15 February 2021
Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry to hear that you feel this way. During a recent staff meeting at one of our homes, the management carefully listened to the feedback given by team members, and recognising its importance to staff, the hot food option was reinstated for anyone that works a 6-hour shift or longer. We understand that morale has been low recently, and we are working hard to improve this. The management is currently in the process of arranging to visit all the homes, to listen to concerns and frustrations raised by our employees and hopefully to rectify issues, or reassure those with worries where we can.If you would like the opportunity to discuss these matters further, please ask your Home Manager for my direct contact details and I would be more than happy to meet with you in person. – Mike Lyons (Managing Director).
Do not waste your time with this company. It's going down the pan very quickly. In many departments hours and jobs are being cut which will put even more work on the care staff, who are already over worked. No free meals only a basic sandwich offered for 12 hour shifts. Paid breaks at the moment but with talk of weekend enhancement somemembers of staff get being scrapped no doubt paid breaks will go also. They claim to offer flexibility although this is not true. No support from management what so ever. Managers come and go like the wind, no stability for residents, relatives or staff. No appreciation what so ever for all the hard work staff do in every department, it's simply never enough they just want more and more for less and less. Do your self a favour and stay away!!
Pros
None anymore
15 February 2021
Thank you for your review. We realise that morale has been low recently, and we are working hard to improve this by listening to staffs’ concerns and rectifying these issues where we are able to.The management carefully listened to the feedback recently given by team members, and recognising its importance to staff, the hot food option was reinstated for anyone that works a 6-hour shift or longer. There is no intention to remove paid breaks – this continues to be a benefit at Encore.We know there has been an unsettling period of management change. However, we are committed to delivering high quality of care to residents, as well as providing the right leadership to ensure a positive, happy work environment for our employees. Therefore, please bear with us during this transition whilst we appoint the right person who can inspire, lead, and support our teams.If you would like the opportunity to discuss these matters further, please ask your Home Manager for my direct contact details and I would be more than happy to meet with you in person. – Mike Lyons (Managing Director).
If you're thinking of joining the team - DON'T When I started in June 2020 it was a nice place to work. But since November 2020 its slowing going down the drain.There is poor too none of; behaviour, communication & organisation in Great Oaks. Unfortunately, there have been multiple times where I have been either let down and/or felt unsupported (and not just me)I have tried to resolve the issues multiple times and been told that they will be resolved, only to be let down when I go an resolve said issues face to face (as requested.) I feel my needs no longer matter anymore within the company.
Pros
Resident's and Collegues
Cons
Poor too none Management
15 February 2021
Thank you for your review, we welcome all feedback as it helps us to improve our services. I would be more than happy to have a conversation directly with you to discuss why you feel disappointed with your employment at Encore. We are not only committed to delivering high quality of care to residents, but also to ensure a positive, happy work environment for our employees. If you would like to speak with me, please contact our Head Office who will be able to put you in touch.- Mike Lyons, Managing Director
Avoid this company at all costs, a culture of bullying is rife, the new management are shocking and part of the bullying. The HCAs and nurses are excellent but the rest are disgraceful.
Pros
HCAs
Cons
Everything else
I would advise anyone who is thinking of taking a job with encore to stay well clear.The senior management are unresponsive and ignorant. You do not feel valued at encore. The management are never around for long (take a look at this company history) this is because the company seem to get rid of managerial roles as soon as they do not agree with their visions on encore.Staff are overworked, underpaid and do not have the time or resources to fulfill their job role properly ... when staff have tried to speak or make a grievance it is pushed under the carpet and not taken seriously. The culture is of bullying and would not advise anyone to work for this company.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
All of the above and more
I could write a whole list of why not to work here, but I won't as I will let people judge by themselves. My personal experience was horrible. It's such a shame as the place and residents were lovely. Its just the staff that let it down. You get no respect or support and all people want to do is cause trouble instead of focusing on what they are apparently there for.
Pros
Meeting lovely residents
Cons
Everything else
Caring company. Lots of changes in management but positive. Staff expected to work hard but rewarded for doing so. Great opportunities for development. Care for residents is good.
Pros
Support. Salary. Environment. Training.
Cons
Management changes
  1. Employee reviews