ENERGY SAVING TRUST

ENERGY SAVING TRUST Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
2.8Pay & benefits

Ok place to work

People were friendly and outgoing. The training for the certificates was good.The support while out in the field was really good and I liked the professionalism of my boss.

Pros

Travel

Cons

Long hours, not enough money.

Nightmare Employer

Massive disappointment working for EST. My job looked great on paper, however upon starting my role, I soon learned that the organisation was beyond shambolic and dysfunctional on multiple levels. Development and support were borderline non-existent. Almost no structured training was provided, and almost no documented guidance on procedures was given. EST very carelessly just threw me in the deep end with almost nothing to go on, and few to turn to. It was sink or swim, with EST demanding high performance off the bat, while providing almost nothing in return. Compounding this were the massive workloads to complete to tight deadlines. I often found myself with so much work, I couldn't get close to keeping up, even when putting in overtime. Under-staffing and inefficient ways of working were prime reasons. I personally communicated my concerns about the poor support and unsustainable workloads numerous times, knowing that EST would likely redirect most or all of the blame my way. Predictably, that's precisely what ended up happening anyway. Much easier for them to blame employees, while denying any mismanagement. My situation was not unique either. Almost everyone I knew at EST felt markedly overworked and extremely stressed. It was one of the most demoralised workforces I've ever encountered. The organisation was bleeding staff like crazy due to the conditions, meaning skills and knowledge were constantly walking out the door never to return. Can't blame people for leaving when there are good employers just down the street, who actually care about staff welfare and -

Pros

Friendly staff. Good cause.

Cons

Appalling support and development. Extremely overworked staff. Poor compensation.

Overall a good place to work

Home Energy Scotland is a government funded organisation and provides free, impartial advice on making your home warmer, more affordable and greener. Whatever a customer’s circumstances and wherever they live in Scotland. My main tasks are within the centre itself providing support in whatever format required. Also within my role as an Energy Advisor I gained two City and Guilds training course’s one for my main duties on energy advice and the other in the renewable sector both off which helped me provide the best service I could offer. Other duties I was very strongly involved in where event planning and fundraising for our chosen charity, this included meeting with people to arrange events and also managing the overall cash flow that we had raised.

Fun workplace; poor opportunities for advancement

A fun place to work and you will learn a lot. But there are poor opportunities to advance into upper-level management; and the existing management isn't the most forward thinking.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Poor advancement and salary accelleration

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ENERGY SAVING TRUST. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.9Job security/advancement