Environment Agency logo
Environment Agency

Environment Agency Employee Reviews

A good, ethical, people-centred organisation

My time at the EA gave me so much scope for development, and some of my managers there were incredibly supportive and amazing. The workplace culture and ethos is about supporting and trusting staff- and learning from rather than punishing mistakes. In many ways it was a very progressive organisation. Their investment in training for staff, and the exemplary standards I found in some teams and departments were incredible. Work/life balance is taken incredibly seriously. I also had the opportunity to get involved in Incident Management- voluntary duty roles, where I was able to branch out into cell lead for logistics, and from there I was supported and empowered to become a local tactical lead. I adored my time there - it was such a supportive, incredible team of specialists behind me, and I was empowered and trusted/supported in the decisions I took. The EA was without a doubt the best employer I've ever worked for.

Pros

On-site gym, subsidised canteen, amazing opportunities

Cons

Sometimes recruitment would require you to have already done the job in question, Some managers wouldn't accept job experience gained outside the EA.

Excellent

Excellent work environment.Great people Great opportunity for developmentOpen office and friendly staff.Excellent easy to get to locationOverall wonderful

Poor management

Unsure if all areas are like this but in my area management is weak, unorganised and unfocused. It’s hard to know what is a priority and there is a lack of direction and guidance. The systems used are archaic and unsuitable for the job we do, and management are resistant to change. They talk a lot about being business like but don’t work like a business at all. That said, you will never find a place more willing to train you, more flexible with working hours and family friendly! The office culture is friendly.

Pros

Work/ life balance

Cons

Poor managemet

There is coruption from top to bottom in this organization but senior people and lower grades involved will pull the old school or the degree level ca

Management liken themselves to heroes, in fact they even put them selves on courses for 'the few' how concieted and direspectful can you be? There are rules for the inner circle of corruption and stagnation or dismissal for anyone who doesnt toe the line or become a yes man. Dont take my word for it ask others, or better still go to a few sites and ask questions, you will be told what they want you to hear, not the truth or reality. Blantant disregard for government agreed procedures, blatant disregard for agreed procurement protocols, lying to Supportive associations and the list goes on. Managers put in place via rigged job applications, team leaders with no experience in charge of often deadly situations and politically sensitive issues combine to make this organization unfit for purpose. I was originally 100% loyal to the EA and 100% against the proposed give away to the C&river trust, I now hope it goes ahead simply to weed out the spineless corrupt individuals

Pros

Beautiful place to live

Cons

Liars, cheats, bullying

crucial to the environment and for public awareness

The job I had was in the emergency incident call room where reports of environment issues, flooding, illegal waste disposal, signs of water pollution etc were all taken in, locations found on maps, logged and categorized. There was a lot to learn and the team around were always helpful plus there are floor managers to speak to if unsure. Calls can range from any thing of someone burning tires to a nuclear power plant routine call to make sure all systems are working which nearly made me go into meltdown myself! You pick up a lot of information from other call handlers that isn't covered in the training and sometimes it feels like you are in the deep end but there is always someone to help and a computer system that you can continually check information on. It's a 24/7 pattern so if working nights isn't for you don't even think about it as it's crucial to the job. Besides taking in calls there is also alarm monitoring which means that if a river or fishery water level is rising or dropping alarms will sound and you need to log that and in the case of fisheries contact them immediately to avoid a horrendous fish kill incident. .. besides that the day is pretty chill..The management team are fantastic, completely supportive and inclusive and absolutely NO amount of bullying or offensive treatment of others is acceptable. It beats any type of call centre job if you can handle the nights. Parking is an issue as is public transportation times.

flexible work hours

Very productive, enjoyed working there learned a lot, very kind colleagues and very good working culture. been worked through agency and the only min point is that they do not take external candidates directly despite having experience.

A political environment

Its about bottom covering. Some great people but upper management appear incompetent AND dodgy. It was sometimes like working in an alternative universe where up was down.

Occasionally good place to work

Occasionally good place to work unless you're in certain cliques and to be a brown noser then your advancement will take place if you sit back and do your job your face will not fit and you will not get anywhere.

relaxed great work life balance but not very challenging

Not too much for engineers to do as almost everything is contracted out. Not challenging and management don't care too much. Training agreement is basically all about moving from team to team without picking up many engineering skills and it's just focused on the ICE attributes. Otherwise great place to work especially i you get involved in incident roles. Someone with initiative can have the opportunity for some good training

Interesting work with a great team of people

It has been a great experience and I'll be sad to leave. I have been able to help make a difference to clients seeking permits on the Water Quality team, even if only in a small way. A great atmosphere and great staff.

Jobs at Environment Agency

See more jobs

Lab assistant

The job was interesting doing different tests learning new tests doing none organic and organic soil testing was cool different format to other lab work managers both friendly easy going staff and all very good, I was cover for a worker on maternity leave I blew it sort of regret it would of if was kept on

A Very good organisation with excellent staff

Working for the Environment Agency has been a very enjoyable experience. I would highly recommend it. Colleagues are kind helpful and dedicated. The work life balance is good

All ok

Enjoyed working although became boring and mundane at times money was ok it just became same and I need and like more challenges in my work environment a lot of the time you just repeat unnecessarily work and I simply got bored so took early retirement

Hard work but rewarding.

Rewarding work as long as you are willing to work long hours and at unsociable hours. Ecological work looking after the environment and humans effected by flooding is important and these companies are doing a good job.

Pros

Contacts

Cons

unsociable hours.

Great Organisation to work for

If you are serious about developing your career and are motivated in pursuit of your goals the Environment Agency is a great organisation to work for. From early on in my career I was given great levels of responsibility and throughout my career I was always given high profile projects

A great place to build your confidence and character

It's a genuinely nice place where people actually care about YOU - a bit weird initially but it's an inclusive environment and they value you what you think.

Avoid at all costs

Lazy staff, incompetent management! After working here as a field team member I can see why there are so many floods across the country, and it all boils down to the staff being lazy and cannot be bothered to do any work.

very interesting company to work for with a variety of work

excellent company to work for well looked after and plenty of opportunity to train and progress. worked in a small but made to feel valued. work was very rewarding and I enjoyed every day of it..

Pros

transport and uniform supplied.

Cons

none that i can think of

Intimate friendly working environment.

A friendly working environment, variations in daily roles, supportive team. I small lab, good place to start as a graduate as it is a good learning experience.

Management seem to put up barriers to stop you getting the work doned . Nine day fortnight. Standby payment. Pension is very good. Flexible working hours.

Pros

Pension

Efficient

From the brief time I did work experience there, it was highly professional. It opened my eyes to how serious and organized systems are, especially in the public sector. I learnt how to approach an interview, with their practice session. They're excellent at managing sites which may damage the environment under legislation and they have good branches committed to such caused/ their enforcement. From what I saw, the hardest part would be keeping up with terminology, with a lot of environmental terms (especially chemicals, appearing as acronyms)

Pros

Efficiency

Cons

A very precise work ethic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Environment Agency. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement