Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust logo
Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust

Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Fun place

It's good but shifts are long. Team is great to work with but need more flexibility over shifts.Long hours but learning development are great and opportunities are available.

Pros

Great team

St Helier family

I have worked for this trust for over 20yrs. I have always been offered courses and training to help me progress onto a higher band. Proactive, open & transparent with great input from CEO and the directors. Happy & friendly place to work, you walk through the main doors always to be greeted with a smile and a good morning even if you don’t know the member of staff. I would definitely recommend working for Epsom & St Helier Nhs trust. Good shuttle bus service and the only nhs trust offering London weighting within Surrey.

Pros

Shuttle bus

Not an nice atmosphere.

Where I was working. The atmosphere was very bad. We had to take unfair flack from work colleagues and we did not feel welcomed. We were pushed to the limits all the time and that was not good.

Pros

None.

Cons

Constant pressure

Don’t be fooled!

Terrible place to work. No support from management, expected to take blood from infected patients with no PPE. Have to pay for your own summer uniform. Management do not follow up staff complaints, bullying not taken seriously. No provisions for parking when returning from the community. Rota not done fairly and only done on a day to day basis. Expected to work over your time and no regard for breaks etc

Desaster

It was nice working at sant helier when the nhs were there but after a private company took over ...it is a mess Horrible management and don't care for people

Not a good place to work even as a locum

I have worked there for a period to realize that it is a service driven hospital which is barely getting by. The general environment is demoralising and the rates are not even competitive. As a registrar they will pay you 50ÂŁ/hr and you will notice that most nurse practitioners from agencies would be getting about 42-45ÂŁ/HR. So, in all honesty avoid at all costs.

worst manager I have ever worked for

worked here for a few years. Used to be a great job, until the new manager took over about a year ago. TOXIC is not the word!! Manager has no people skills at all, rude, ignorant, a bully and doesn't even listen! Managers working alongside are just rude puppets. Always having to take lunch late into the shift. Controllers bully you into taking work past your finish time. HR are totally unsupportive.

Stressful NHS environment

Stressful and demanding place to work but with good training and innovative ways of working, Learned a lot and encouraged to advance. Good team work within individual departments. Communication was key but not always easy to achieve well particularly across different departments and sites.

excellent place to work

love working there fast pace motivational team love to work in the A& E and AMU management is great effective and diligent team working culture is superb

This is by far the most toxin environment to work in pts driver

Been at this job a couple of years now and it’s slowly got worse. Your treated like a dog at this place . Unrealistic work load on every shift and when you raise it with Controllers you will be bullied by them to do the jobs with the phrase (are you refusing to do the job) or just have the phone put down on you. We have the worst contract manager here by far rude is an understatement no experience in the role

Jobs at Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust

See more jobs

Don't work here you've been warned!

I worked out of here from 2017-2018 and I would NOT recommend this role or similar to anyone. I worked as a PTS ambulance driver closely working with management and controllers. The place is a total shambles, no interest in you from management, you are just a number. Pay issues every month, never seemed to get your money correct, expect you to undertake certain training which is pass or fail that isn't even under your job description as you aren't a fully trained paramedic!PTS

Opportunity to learn

Stressful environment. Enjoyed working within the team. Opportunity to gain experience within a variety of specialities but under very tight time constraints.

Good working environment

• My duties were to support the smooth running and operation of the Information Services (IS) helpdesk by maintaining a quality customer interface between the various IS Teams and the department’s customers Trust-wide. • My main responsibilities were to train doctors and secretaries on digital hardware and software. My duties were to install the software on their computer, and provide software and hardware training and resolving any problems and escalations thereon. • I answered incoming calls and logged them with accuracy whilst ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction • Assisted a variety of administration duties ranging from duties on the IS help desk, reception duties; accepting equipment deliveries through processing new user and project mandate forms. • Liaised with local doctors’ surgeries and introduce them to the new system of sending discharge letters electronically and conducted a test run.

Weak management

Managers often have their favourites who are encouraged and praised but the reliable hard workers are ignored and taken for granted. One rule for all is definitely NOT the culture here and unless you can keep yourself motivated the environment is difficult. No support for training or progression unless it’s the “tick box” mandatory training which is forced upon you at short notice and at peak busy times. Appraisals are a “copy and paste from your former colleague “ excercise and moral is low within teams. Managers are unapproachable (unless you are a favourite) and this can leave you feeling deflated. The trust relies on good will. Meetings are negative and although we all desperately try our best, this goes unnoticed. Blatant favouritism is rife within the department and this causes friction. High turnaround of staff due to bad management and only staff who know how to play the system seem happy here. Weaker staff members are bullied and HR do nothing. Stress levels are high and moral is low.

Pros

Good pension

Cons

Negative environment and blatant favouritism

Awful Management/HR teams

This place has terrible management skills. The culture is negative and it really is 'who you know' in this place. HR is not supportive at all and do not deal with complaints or support staff, this place is the most unprofessional place I have ever worked in. This place lacks professionalism and I have experienced many staff members being bullied in this place by management with HR not intervening in such serious matters, and as a result the turnover is very high. I would not recommend this place, it has a very long way to go.

Pros

Pay is okay

Cons

Management is terrible, HR is unhelpful and slow, lack of professionalism, lack of support, staff over worked

Unsupported, it’s who you know & not what you know!

right from the start it has be a joke, HR failed on numerous occasions, my line manger very unsupportive, and the whole hospital is a data entry unprofessional mess. Pressured to leave because of my disability, I became embarrassed to say I actually worked for the trust and because of this left.

Pros

Made some nice friends

Cons

Under staffed, no managerial support

Hospital doctor

Hospital focus mainly on service provision. Little regard for training and development opportunities. Lack of resources. However, colleagues were great and generally very supportive.

Not a nice place to work

I took a job here few months ago with a very positive attitude but soon that has changed. I feel this place lack development opertunities and management is awful.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Over worked under staffed

Lively place to work

This hospital is located in the heart of Surrey with diverse and dynamic staff. It facilitates excellent care to its catchment area with lots of acute advance treatments.

keep progressing for a bright future

Working has always ben a big part of my life. I started working when I was 16 and worked part time and full time in different places. A typical day at work for me would be arriving on time, confirming with the management where they would like to place me due to the fact that I'm a fast learner so after two months within the place I'm capable of doing several jobs at the same time. I would provide great customer service leaving customers happy and satisfied with my service. I would help my colleagues if I can see they are in need of help and I enjoy working as a team to progress and help the business of the company grow. When starting a new job i insure to ask a lot of questions to avoid making mistakes and follow correct procedures. I have clear understanding of basic health and safety rules and data protection.

Pros

gaining knowledge

Cons

I enjoyed working at NHS because of the versatile experiences and opportunities that were available.

At NHS Epsom and Helier, I gained so much great skills whilst working there and the people were so friendly and supportive. The management was excellent and well organised and had willingness to encourage and push staff to achieve and aim high in their work. There were opportunities for training without hindrance. The hardest part of the job was night duties during observation and transferring patients to long wards. The most enjoyable part of the job, my job was rewarded greatly by providing adequate training and I obtained my NVQ Level whilst working there and my working hours was very flexible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement