Ernest Jones

Ernest Jones Employee Reviews

the training was very good and was constantly updated the management was professional. customer service at head office did have a habit of asking for our opinion on complaints and then over ruling us leading to a them and us attitude.
Pros
discount policy
Cons
dealing with customer complaint
Lots of on going training, supportive management and supervisors, chance to gain jewellery related qualifications. Hardest part was learning all about the different types and brands of watches, best part was selling diamonds and special jewellery for customers celebrations like getting engaged, birthdays, anniversaries etc.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Basic rate of pay
When I first started I loved the job it was 6 years ago and the training was amazing and the friends you make along the way, I loved. There was such an amazing opportunity to progress and the more you put in the more you got out. That has certainly changed now! You are expected to give the job your all and get nothing in return. You aren’t allowed to have a work life balance and your expected to do anything they ask at a drop of a hat. You can be bullied into taking positions you don’t want. They will force you to work than you should without thinking of your health and then make you redundant very quickly and quietly. There is no job security
Pros
Cons
The entire job
Poor management. I was called derogatory names on a daily basis. No training given. Sat for 3 weeks after start date doing ‘online training’ which never came in handy. Staff are rude. Awful experience of being bullied by management aswell. The only bonus is the staff discount of 30% and yearly a one time 40%
Pros
1 time 40% staff discount
Cons
Very friendly environment and known for having some of the best training in the jewellery industry. Regular competitive challenges to keep you and your teammates focused on closing sales!
Pros
Friendly company, very good rewards and incentives
Cons
certain bands need to be put through certain stores that your customer can’t get to!
Working at Ernest Jones is very enjoyable, educational and supportive if surrounded by the right people, as it is in most work places. It had great benefits, discounts and incentives for staff members. However I feel as though the higher levels of management did not support as much as they could have to smaller stores and seems to focus majority of energy towards larger and more profitable ones, the techniques and training was also very much 'Americanised' which I hope will change in future as there are better ways to interact with customers in the UK compared to overseas, also management need to understand the difference in working in larger and smaller stores and the different type of customers, so training can tailor towards that.
The care shown for potential customers was excellent. Staff training was good and the staff very supportive. Opportunities for promotion was limited but the attention to detail with displays and presentations was excellent. The shop is in a good location and many window shoppers would come in and purchase items. Time was taken to talk with customers .
Great, friendly environment. Kept the store smart, learned about sales as well as how to look after wealthy clients. The workplace culture was relaxed, but vigilant due to the nature of the job. The hardest part of the job was taking an unknown customer and turning them into a buyer, but on the contrary this was also the most enjoyable.
loved it at first got a good commission and bonus but culture and management changed and commission stopped...no more bonus and same discount as customers could achieve. management wanted more and more and gave less and less. pressure is ridiculous.
Ernest Jones is a welcoming and fun work place that provides plenty of training opportunities and incentives, as well as commission. There are possibility to progress.
A great place to work, that balance's hard work with an excellent reward package, no hesitation recommending this company and would jump at the chance to go back.
i was so excited to start work at Ernest Jones, the pay was really good and the job seemed so interesting, i enjoyed learning about diamonds and i think their training programme was so helpful and informative. However, i completely understand that having a dress code is important but personally i felt targeted by the way they approached me with this. Being mixed race my hair is not naturally straight yet i straightened it in which it would usually have soft waves, the manager did not pull me aside or talk to me out the back but instead said it in front of the whole store to hear and said 'put a brush through it or tie it up' in which was the first humiliating incident i encountered. Baring in mind that i had seen multiple workers with long hair down and one girl even had her hair the exact same way as mine. Furthermore, i was sat down with the supervisor who also made me talk to her in front of the whole store for customers to easily hear and told me my hair needed to be tied up. Along with this i was called 'vacant' 'unresponsive' and 'doesn't listen' when i asked for examples so i can learn from what i did and how to improve i was told 'just in general' by the manager. Along with this when i tried to explain how my hair was not naturally straight and that i am mixed she turned round and said she has curly hair, when her hair is infact dead straight and in no shape could be considered curly. In addition, i would hear my name being mentioned in conversations and then silence when i would come over, rude and aggressive tones of voice when i would just be waiting for someone to - more...
Don’t fully understand how retail works yet but couple of things baffle me, eg 2 weeks notice of rota but staff required to apply for full years holidays in January???? Commission of 1% paid October, November & December on limited lines only - I sell a watch at £2000, earn £20 commission, if item gets returned and refunded the colleague who does this gets their commission deducted by £20!!!!
Being told targets starts Ur day sell sell sell manager ex forses so treats you like an idiot while coming on to young girls .Two faced with really good hard workers as assistant. I will not talk further as I feel I don't need to .
Generally an alright company to work for with various benefits, rewards and the chance to further your knowledge of the trade with various training, tests and National Association of Goldsmiths (NAG) Jet 1 Certification.
Working for Ernest Jones has been an incredible opportunity, I have learned so many new skills and in addition increased my passion for jewellery. EJ also built up my confidence in talking to customers, answering phone calls, the team are very supportive and will answer any questions you have. Being able to learn about watches and diamonds along with different metals and makes have helped me a lot
Selling jewellery and certain watches based on training level (which they hold you back on). Maintaining jewellery windows and general store cleanliness. Trying to work with others to meet sales targets but often difficult due to the competitive nature of the staff. Worked in two branches, both management teams were highly unprofessional and need retraining on how to properly manage staff and treat them as people, which is probably why staff turnover is so high. Enjoyed meeting some people and some training provided, moved onto Fraser Hart, where I am much happier.
was given a 4 day induction to learn basics, shown how to do things around the store, helpful and friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere, everyday has always been enjoyable
Pros
incentives on various brands
Cons
none as yet
At Ernest Jones, I worked as a part-time sales associate. Throughout my time, I was trained on how to sell high-end jewellery and how to handle a variety of customers. The duties that were given to me include being the face of the stores as I had to greet all customers and engage with them appropriately, learn how to talk about what I was selling in a manner that made the products stand out and to deliver adequate knowledge I regards to the products so that the customer had enough information to make an appropriate decision. Throughout my time, I gained knowledge of the different movements of watches and the variation of diamonds. I have been complimented on several occasions by my customers on the way I present myself to them and the way I make the experience at Ernest Jones MK more enjoyable and relaxed.
The management at the store were the main reason I left, especially the office administrator/supervisor. They used to make fun of staff behind their backs (but in front of other staff) making it uncomfortable as you just knew they’d do the same to you as soon as you left the room. Mystery shops also a huge pressure and the manager threatened I’d lose my job on numerous occasions if I ever got a bad mystery shop. Terrible place to work.
Good place to work for, enjoyed the company of the people i worked with. Only downfall is i think you deserve more money for the job role. Helped me gain good Customer service skills
  1. Employee reviews