Esland Group
Happiness score is 35 out of 100

Esland Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom79 reviews

Fantastic company and young people

I have worked for Esland for over a year now. Within that year I have seen changes but positive ones. I have enjoyed working in some other houses to support but I love the home I am in. I have a good manager and a great team around me. The young people we support are challenging but it’s amazing watching their progress and achievements. Esland provide good training and encourage us as the staff on the floor to develop and push ourselves. I really enjoy working here and want to develop within this company!

Pros

Young people and development

Cons

Some long hours

Fantastic Start to a Slow/Sad Decline

I will be honest and say very supportive for my apprenticeship, and loved the role / people at the time. However over a year later, with so many changes at head office, people leaving, change in senior roles constantly etc, the culture has changed drastically. For example...I have always given 110% for the company, but with new office politics and other factors made it much harder, and generally felt mentally drained. There seems to be too much of a blame culture which sadly forced me to look elsewhere after a very promising start with Esland and high hopes of management. The main reason for leaving was starting an apprenticeship in one area, but not being able to continue doing that type of work which is why I originally applied for the apprenticeship in the first place. Therefore I felt management had not taken this onboard and forced my hand to be able to help elsewhere. I tried to stay and fight for the company I once loved and worked so much for, as their were positives to fight for like my amazing former colleagues, unfortunately, management ideologies changed and things became progressively worse, feeling like I was taken advantage of, it was not meant to be.

Pros

Amazing colleague in the IT department and fantastic external support partners to work with.

Cons

Pressure, poor salary, management support, blame culture.

Esland do not value the staff & poor management

Lack of supportExpected to work, drive an continue as normal with zero sleep after been awake over 30+ hours working with no relief. Inexperienced management. High expectations but not the resources to deliver as you can only do so much in the hours of a day. You don’t get paid when needed to stay longer to complete incomplete paperwork due to incidents etc. So much continuous training but no hours given to complete so always behind. Long hours with the contract favouring the business for example, sleeps compulsory when needed but not contracted to guarantee you any. No relief if anyone calls in sick, you are unable to go home until you arrange cover. Poor placement matching as they just want “Kids in beds” as it’s a business & it all comes down to money.

Shocking place to work

The company tries to work on morals and it really doesnt pay struture is all over the place and if your face fits your in but if it doesnt then you will not get anywhere in this company .Totally incompetent managers with little or no experience with too many chiefs and not enough Indians. No support from higher management

Pros

The children that we support

Cons

Corrupt higher management

Progressive company

Since joining Esland there has been a real drive from senior managers to change processes to enable and promote better working environments and processes for staff. There has recently been a re-structure which has given employees the opportunity to progress to different positions. The Registered Managers have a real drive and focus for providing high quality care to the young people that live in the homes and this is great to see. There is a culture of shared ownership and a 'no blame' culture which is positive. The work can be fast paced however there are a number of support functions within the company to assist with this.

Pros

Supportive management

Cons

On-call

Fantastic place to work

I have been with Esland a while, and was afforded the opportunity to progress and develop my career from an entry point role. Esland recognise hard work, and that has been consistently shown and rewarded. There is a positive culture at Esland that has augmented throughout my time with the company. This is s great place for a job and an even better place for a career.

Pros

Career development

Fantastic company

Excellent company to work for, the job can be stressful but that is the nature of the work involved in the sector. Leadership teams are supportive and regularly visit the homes. There are ongoing changes but these are all for the better and are having a positive impact. The vision for young people is really good and the company are not one that will ‘fill beds’ if it is not the right time to do so.

Pros

Good support

Cons

Best childrens residential care company to work for.

I worked at Esland for 2 years, I have worked at several other companies in the same role. This is by far the best of all. Very supportive and knowledgeable management, good progression opportunities. The care and support for the young people is second to none and positive outcomes for children are a priority.

Pros

Supportive management, progression opportunities, very child focused ethos, children remain the priority.

Cons

Long hours however, this is the role wherever you go and not a company fault.

Former Manager Review

I have irrefutably enjoyed my career opportunity working for the Esland Care Group. I have been very privileged supporting a home develop from ‘Inadequate’ into a ‘Good’ rated home by pushing up quality and standards to achieve positive outcomes for children placed at the home. My passion didn’t go unnoticed with recognition for hard work and dedication within my role supporting the team working with the children.The senior leadership team, central support services, various departments and local partner homes within the region, work collaboratively, to support the shared vision in pushing up standards and achieving positive outcomes.During challenging times, regional and operational managers focus their energy in helping the home to reach it goals and supporting the team / manager from start to finish.My personal circumstances has resulted in me leaving the company however I would not hesitate to return to Esland in the future.#Eslanders #Outcomes #Westmidlands #Makingadifference

Pros

Supportive

Right job wrong time

I worked for Esland for a few months at the start of 2021, however due to long hours and a turn in bad health for myself, it resulted in me having to leave the company. I have no bad words about the management I had, they were outstanding and very understanding with my personal issues/health. The company itself could have explained more on the travelling if a staff member is needed elsewhere, the drive of 2 hours or more was not what I thought and eventually took its toll on my health. Other than the travelling issue I do not have a bad word to say about Esland. It is a lovely company to work for!

Cons

Travel when needed

Unfair, unhealthy and unethical work culture

I don’t believe this company actually cares for the children they look after, they are a money making organisation who view staff as disposable. Mental health is not regarded as any type of priority, whether that’s for staff or for their young people, and work-life balance goes out in the window when it suits them. There is a grooming environment of working up young female employees to become managers before they are ready too, without specialised training or support, inevitably leading to poor management. The only plus to working here, are the colleagues you meet and work with along the way, who truly do care about the children but unfortunately their voices are not always heard nor respected.

Pros

Similar minded colleagues

Cons

Unethical management

Great experience

Very hard and stressful job , but with massive rewards. Staff were great to work with and actually cared about each other. Managers were very caring and hard working , training was brilliant , money was very competitive and loads of job satisfaction. Kids could be very challenging but we're worth the hard work , especially when they returned to their families or left to begin their own chapter. Miss this job , but sadly due to me and the ex wife working here we grew apart. If I had been single I would still be there. Takes a strong person to do this job so please be sure this is for you. If it is. Go for it , you will absolutely love it

Pros

Great work culture and staff

Cons

Long hard hours and away fr family for days

Falsely advertised

I was taken on for a rcp role in warrington, after doing a couple of shifts in congleton the home was up and running with a yp. After a month of being there the placement for yp ended and staff were redeployed to another home which was apparently in the region. 2 hour drive to the homes for your shift I would not consider your region. No staff to take over the next day and expected to stay until cover was found which rarely happened. Let down by managment after many emails and calls to let them know staff are struggling to basically be told its the way it is. If I would of been told at interview that much travelling was involved then I would not of taken the job. No support and all about the money and not the children or staff

Pros

Non

Cons

All about the money

Don't apply

Starts off great then sadly you just become a number.This company only worries about money and not it’s employees or clients. It is run like a business and not people who care, staff turnover is massive, the clients are challenging and not enough support is given, management are reactive rather than proactive. Always understaffed, it's a vicious cycle. You start, you're eager, you take on more hours as people are off sick or leave, you become tired and overworked, then you go off sick or leave.You do have glimpses of positivity, like making great connections with the young people and seeing even the smallest of breakthrough. But sadly with the lack of staff consistency it's often 1 step forward, 3 back.Work /home balance is never thought of. Working short staff is a common thing and you are just expected to get on ,which then puts pressure on yourself. Compay will never understand when day checks haven't been completed due to being short staff instead its a roasting. Lot of the time what you see on the surface isn't what is going on at all and two face attitude is at the front. Scapegoats are made of people who stand up for themselves or pass comment and reporting of bad practice is brushed to one side.Lots of similar jobs out there, choose a different company !!

Pros

Young people

Cons

Long hours, no support from management

Amazing young people, shocking management!

All this company is after is money! They will put their staff in harms way everytime just to cream off the money. The young people and staff deserve so much better. If Esland did what it promises to do it would be an amazing company but sadly its all just talk.

Pros

Amazing young people

Cons

Poor pay, top management are useless.

Hard but rewarding.

I’m not going to lie, the onboarding process was a little long winded but now I’m in, it was worth the effort. The team I am working in is fantastic and management are positive and appreciative of everything we do. The role is stressful at times but the rewards outweigh this. I feel supported throughout.

Pros

Rewarding career.

Cons

Long onboarding process.

An amazing company to work for!

I started my career with Esland in February as a deputy manager. I received a very in-depth induction followed by continuous fantastic internal & external training to help further my skills and knowledge. The senior management team, starting from my line manager all the way up to the operations manager and CEO are VERY supportive, helpful and approachable. I can honestly say Esland has changed my career for the better. Your hard work is recognised and valued which is one thing I have never received from other companies. The company also offer great career progression and paid qualifications which include open university degrees. I would highly recommend Esland.

Pros

Supportive, helpful, recognise hard work, progression, paid qualifications

Cons

So much change in senior management

I was with Esland for a very long time and was disappointed to witness how the company went from being fantastic provider that generally cared about the welfare of its young people and staff to only worrying about what the accounts said at the end of the month. Immense amounts of pressure were put on homes to take young people that were poorly matched and ensure that empty rooms were filled and the organisation become more focused on spreedsheets and data than providing care. As soon as the investment company took over and the board changed from being people who provided genuine care and commitment to its staff and young people to a group of bullies who focused around there own title and company budgets rather than the welfare of their staff was when Esland lost its way and i really do hope it finds it again before its too late as it used to be such an incredible place to work.

Pros

Supporting the young people

Cons

Heavy focus on budgets and money

Apply somewhere else

The young people are great, the behaviour can be challenging but they are great to work with. My induction wasn't detailed and I felt more could of been done so I was informed of each young persons risks. Some of the staff were great in showing me the ropes but this was after I was asking.It took around 8 weeks for a start date to come through despite head office saying they had all of my checks back.There is an expectation that you automatically pick up the vast amounts of overtime that are offered and I had another job as well because the pay wasn't good. Because I couldn't pick up much overtime I felt that I wasn't included in some aspects of the role.The provider I now work for appreciates the work that I do and pays more. My advice, don't apply here go somewhere else.

Pros

The young people are great to work with.

Cons

Long hours and over worked. Pay

Money making machines

Awful place to work- very toxic environment and all about the money the children have £££ on their heads-awful. Shame as some good practitioners work there, but majority are all for themselves. Do not care for staff, do not care for the quality of care for the children- avoid at all costs.

– 23 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review Esland. We are disappointed to read your feedback and would encourage you to contact a member of our team to discuss this further. Please email hrquery@eslandcare.co.uk and a member of our team will be in touch as soon as possible.

Enjoyable place to work with a lot of support available

All staff from residential workers to regional managers and above are approachable and supportive. Staff teams support one another and safeguard one another, while ensuring environment is safe, supportive and fun for the young people.

– 23 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review Esland. Its great to hear your positive experiences so far and we wish you a long and successful career with us.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Esland Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Esland Group