Essex County Council
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Essex County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom194 reviews

Tutor at ACL- Confusing administration tasks, poor IT

Enjoyable work is marred by confusing admin. Print availability is poor, wifi poor in classrooms. Too much is remote. Have only met my manager twice in 10 months.

Stressful work enviroment with limited support

I would not reccomend working for ECC unless you like tick box exercises with no positive outcome.Senior management could benefit by involving employees in decesion making.

Insights into Essex County Council

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks
  • Support from manager

Supportive rewarding

Supportive, no two days are the same. Genuinely care about staff, good advancement routes, flexible working. Strong team ethos. Always somebody available to give advice.

Pros

Rewarding

Cons

Can be challenging

Talk the talk & you will go far!

Far too many people who can talk the talk but no action! If you work hard, are conscientious & do as you are asked you won’t go far! Too many service managers that seem to have forgotten the pressures of frontline social work & completely unrealistic whilst having no clue as to the basics such as Mosaic & law/legislation. Pros are flexible/remote working & most team managers try their best with supervision, training is also good. Pay & grading is a complete joke even if you have worked hard to evidence your grade & stage.

Pros

Remote working

Cons

Parking, lack of equal opportunities, pay

Supportive and challenging

The job was quite challenging as the department were going through change but this was very successful due to the excellent and supportive management.

Pros

Very supportive and collaborative team.

Stressful but worth it

Stressful fast paced job with big responsibilities and targets to meet.I would say you get out what you put in.High levels of computer/paperwork.Joint working with health colleagues can be discombobulated.

Pros

Competitive rate of pay. Autonomy over work diary. Supportive management.

Cons

Stressful. High pressured.

ECC - Worst Place I Have Ever Worked

Total lack of child care flexibility - the worst I ever known.Lack of opportunity to progress. Have to wait 3+ years and be at level 3/4 before I can apply for SW degree. EEC always have at least 15 SW jobs advertised - so there short staffed in this area.

Pros

Cons

Total lack of child care flexibility - the worst I ever known, Lack of opportunity to progress, to be a social worker. Have to wait 3+ years & be at level 3/4 before being eligible, High turn over of social care staff, Poor pay for the hours and responsibilities

Interesting jobs

I enjoy working here as it is a very supportive environment and they give you all of the tools you need to complete your job role. They also offer room for movement to other roles.

Pros

Good laptop

Cons

No bonuses

Great Place to work

Very supported by management as a new individual in this field.People in other departments are always more than happy to liaise and help you progress.Very laid backHome based.Great place to work.

Pros

Flexible, relaxed, good opportunities. good work perks

Cons

Na

Good team members but slow

People and practitioners in the team are great. But the overall process is quite slow. Sometimes very hierarchical depending on teams and leadership.

Pros

Trainings

Cons

Risk averse, slow

Horrifyingly badly managed

I’ve worked at this organisation in two different roles across 6 years. Each time the recruitment process was a shambles, the communication non-existent, there was zero induction process and the management once in post was hands off to the point of neglect.The salary was good previously, which is why it was still a desirable place to work - though following all the funding cuts from central government, they’ve now cut salaries in some areas virtually in half (they manage this by only ever employing people on fixed term contracts, then dismissing them and rehiring them on new contracts with worse terms to avoid TUPE laws). Exploiting these loopholes to the detriment of their employees has generated a terrible working environment and I wouldn’t recommend working here to anyone until the management start to realise that their employees are their most valuable asset.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Awful management

Very poor organisation

I joined in 2012 and from the day I joined there was talk of organisational design across the board. This meant huge cost cutting exercises and reduction of staff almost immediately. Anyone who was in tier 2 or below was safe, any everyone else had to re-apply. The same re-organisational design happened at least 3 times from 2012-2018 and huge cuts were made each time. The organisation bring in outside consultants to handle the restructure and there sole job was to reduce the workforce to the detriment of the organisation. ECC has a culture of intimidation and bullying and is not a pleasant place to work.

Pros

Cons

Poor decision making across the board

Stressful work place

I worked for Essex CC in there ACL collegesI worked for them for 5 years I enjoyed mytime there helping Adults & younger with learningdisabilities

Pros

Left to work on your own initiative

Cons

Shift work

I have been here for two years now, my manager is a very well organised person and allows me to work effectively, the team all get on very well and have managed the Covid-19 situation very well.I am confident that the whole team including myself only have the people who visit the centres best interest at heart.

Pros

Pension, friendly

Rewarding but hard

It was for a Primary school so checks are needed. It's busy and stressful but in a good way. Very rewarding and for what I was doing the pay was great. Plenty of training. Yes good employer for those types of jobs.

Pros

Rewarding. Work round your family. Lots of training.

Cons

Hard and can be stressful

Management varies very much between directorate.

Too many old management. Needed new fresh ideas. Experienced bullying which is why I left. Abuse from lone manager and wasn’t sure how to whistle blow.

Pros

Flexible working & counselling services

Cons

Not much support from line manager with emotional stress ( AHCW)

A very competitive and driven work environment. Strong fast paste corporate

A very competitive and driven work place, with strong fast paste corporate environment. In the right senior grade one can make an impact. I worked with director commercial and head of corporate supply chain - and find them nice people to work with. Had a large team reporting onto me and my team was hard work but every one was hardworking and no hard feeling... A very large corporate environment - so you have to be prepared to function in that environment. Result driven and generally fast working resources. Quite advanced in commercial, procurement, commissioning and program resources and materials. Quite demanding as the result.

Pros

A decent fee for a short term contract - not on the high end of fee though.

Cons

Very far from London, with many sites in different places ...so you have to prepare to travel around

good place to work

good place to work, social worker hard job caring for familes and children. Flexible working and good management. Lots of changes as with most local authorities.

I have never had a problem with the council to work for.

I’ve very much enjoy my time in their employment. I have never had a problem and find they are very fair with good benefits. I would recommend them . I have worked in different areas and have always got on well

Motivating

Able to work at the best level for your ability, supportive line manager allows you push and achieve higher goals. Able to join project teams and build your cv

Learning experience is great

Learning experience is great. It is flexible and can work from home remotely. Difficulty not knowing if you will progress career-wise. good transport links

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Essex County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement