Ethelbert Children's Services

Ethelbert Children's Services Employee Reviews

Welcoming

I have been in the company for a while now and have previously worked in other residential companies but by far the training and the induction at Ethleberts is the best I have experienced. Since the start I have had both the senior management team and the manager of the home check in not just myself but my co workers in the home and ensuring the young people in our care have the best support we could possibly give. The staff team have been very welcoming and friendly. So far my experience at Ethelberts has been good. The management team are aware of my ambitions and are supporting me in my development to higher myself and career.

Pros

Career progression, good sleep rate, supportive management team

Cons

Long hours but expected in this type of job

Excellent place of work and very rewarding

My experience of ethelberts was a thorough recruitment process and very detailed induction programme which sets out everything for a new staff member. My support I received throughout was good with supervision regularly and staff members checking to see if I was okay on a daily basis. The days are varied within the home but my experience the children are looked after to the highest possible standard given plenty of opportunities to engage in life skills and meaningful activities. The training provided so far has been excellent so I can not fault the company in any area.

Pros

Excellent training opportunities and very support management team.

Large organisation, rewarding role, encouragement and support to develop

The recruitment and checking process is thorough and the role is explained well throughout this time.Every day is different, providing children with the nurture, care and support that they have not yet experienced can be challenging, however overall watching them progress and develop is extremely rewarding.Training is excellent, and personal development has been encouraged and supported throughout my time here. A very reputable company to work for, I have been employed here for a long time and have no plans to be moving on.

Pros

Being able to see the children progress and develop and leaving positively

Tough but rewarding work - good training and support

This was my first employment within childcare coming from a retail background and overall after 4 months I have been really happy with the company. The hours can be long and the children at times challenging but this I expected. I was nervous about whether I was experienced enough to take on the role but throughout the recruitment process and then onto induction and training I have been inspired and given the confidence to do the job. Due to Covid some of the training programmes have been limited but this has been made up for my in house support from the managers and head office support staff. Due to Covid restrictions inter department work experience has also been limited but this is now scheduled in for the near future. I did make comparisons with pay from a number of companies but overall I found Ethelbert's to be slightly above average and the career progression paths are genuinely available to all.

Pros

Nice working environment, good career prospects, supportive team and management

Cons

Long hours at times but balanced with shift flexibility

You can always tell a person's character by the way they treat those, they don't need to treat well

It's starts well, the initial training, the promises, the happy interview and the introduction, an then you watch in disbelief as the wheels fall off the wagon.You are a number sadly, and while the job you do is great, the people you do it for view you as purely expendable.Be prepared to be up until 3am writing the same report three times. Expecting to go home in the morning? Think again, there won't be cover and you'll have to stay.Of course in large, it depends which house you end up in, and which manager you get, bare in mind you can be moved at any point, at their discretion, without warning. You can't argue this. You'll have no choice. Some managers are extremely self serving, will take credit for the work of others, and put you down behind your back. An then there's the area managers, they exist to help you when others can't, and they are as much use as rubber lips on a woodpecker.The kids are often great, and If they were the only part of the job then I'd rate it quite highly. But the sad fact is they are not. Surrender your freedom, be prepared to be talked down to, give up any hope of leaving on time and cross your fingers you don't land one of the bad houses.

Pros

Kids are great

Cons

Everything else

Watch your back!

I worked in the school and there is a certain click among staff that are looking to ambush other colleagues and basically stitching each other up. I’ve personally seen and heard teachers lying to pupils and using excessive force to control them. The young adults within this system have and extremely high failure rate, and continue to go on to commit more crimes after leaving school

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Bad staff, no qualified teachers

Rewarding

After a thorough recruitment process the RW role is challenging but rewarding. Support is good with supervision and accessible management. The days are varied and the training provided so far has been excellent

Not happy at this for all the work I do

The pay rate is terrible but the hours are ok..no organisation what so ever!! When you got to do call out every 7 weeks it’s only a extra 35 pound for the whole week on your call our week

Pros

No weekends except when on call 22 days annual leave

Cons

Very low pay for a multimillion company call or rate is terrible.

Poor Managment

This place of work is very long hours and you get little appreciation from the managers ad the support is poor. If you are working in a good team then you have support from them and the training is good, but the hours are very long and they are always short staffed and put a lot of pressure on the staff to cover shifts

A warm and welcoming experience

I have only just started my job at ethelberts and so far have enjoyed my time. The interview process was refreshing and informative. Everything has been explained to me and my induction is excellent.

Jobs at Ethelbert Children's Services

See more jobs

Fast paced and sometimes challenging

A great fast paced environment. A very rewarding job where progression was possible and made available. Provided alot of in house training. Knowledge of the various SEMH is definitely advantageous.

Fantastic opportunities & job satisfaction

I have recently have been accepted for the role of a Residential Worker at Ethelbert Children Services, to which they only appear to take on members of staff with a warm, positive and supportive approach to those who want to make a difference to care and ensure a safe, positive environment to these children and young peoples lives. As i have been notified after the probationary period is complete and you have been successful you are then enrolled into the Diploma Level 3 Residential Childcare course, which is brilliant to help you achieve success in your chosen field also along with a six-month induction programme for you to have a further understanding and to gain vital and essential knowledge. Within my interview process at Ethelbert Childrens Services i was made to feel welcome and put at ease by the management team and i am looking forward to starting with Ethelbert Childrens Services and i am proud to say i am starting my career with them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ethelbert Children's Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9Job security/advancement

Ethelbert Children's Services Reviews by Location

• Ethelbert Children's Services
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?