Exemplar Health Care
Happiness score is 47 out of 100

Exemplar Health Care Employee Reviews

United Kingdom284 reviews

Not awful. 2.5 stars.

Not awful place to work. Most residents are great to work with, however some have frequent behaviours of concern... can be very difficult work if understaffed, which is regularly, but the support from more experienced HCAs and some nurses is invaluable. Management seems to change their mind about all sorts constantly, difficult to keep up, especially as they tend to be poor at communicating too. Management rarely listen to HCAs, we rely on the nurses to raise concerns. Pay was minimum wage but received modest pay rise recently - but still not great for the difficulty of the work. Break not paid, only 20 days holiday + bank holidays. High staff turnover, easy to see why. Staff morale was low and has only declined whilst I've been here. Other HCAs agree, you feel like a cog in a machine instead of valued as a person. Feels like company has noticed and is trying to improve, but very slowly and priority seems to be on presenting itself as good rather than actually running an efficient service. Worked here for 10 months, don't see myself staying for much longer. However, due to massive understaffing, lots of overtime available and very good job security. Would I recommend working here? Probably, but only for a while. Good experience working with residents, learning about how to treat/deal with different conditions, but not somewhere you want to stay.

Pros

Residents, helpful coworkers, overtime available

Cons

Poor communication, frequent understaffing

17 May 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re glad to hear that you have enjoyed working with the residents in our homes, but we are very sorry that you do not feel valued and that the home is regularly understaffed. We want to thank you for the hard work you put in when looking after service users and we run initiatives like listening sessions to help colleagues express any concerns that they may be having so that these can be looked in to. We also ensure that our homes have a sufficient number of staff on shift to ensure our service users receive the best possible care but if you’d like to discuss your review further, please contact the HR team on hr@exemplarhc.com.

Not good

Management are cliquey and never leave you alone on your days off. Constantly training to be done and not enough benefits within the job considering everything you have to deal with

Insights into Exemplar Health Care

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Warned and still took the role.

I was warned by a colleague that this is a bad place to work at there head office in Rotherham, I still took the role in payroll and it was a nightmare from start to finish.

10 May 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience when working at our head office in Rotherham. We have a comprehensive induction programme to welcome our new colleagues to help them settle in to their roles and their new working environment and we are sorry to hear you did not have a pleasant experience during your time with us. If you’d like to chat about the concerns you’ve raised please get in touch with the HR team on hr@exemplarhc.com

Perfect place to work

I worked at Scotia heights and it was the best care job ever, management is responsive, staff are nice, team leaders are willing to put you on. Salary comes in time

Pros

A lot

Cons

Nothing I can think of

28 April 2022
Thank you for your 5 star review of Scotia Heights. We’re really glad to hear that you got on well with your colleagues and that the managers you worked with were responsive, thank you for your hard work when you were with us.

Gruelling and underpaid

The service itself is a nice service with lovely residents- however most residents aren’t suited to eachother at all and are very mismatched. The job you do is nothing like the job description at all, you’re expected to do ten jobs at once whilst other people sit around and do nothing and they get all the praise. Always understaffed. Pay is very poor for what you have to do.

Pros

Residents

19 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear that the service you work in is nice and that you enjoy working with our service users. However we are sorry that you feel the role is not like the job description and that the home is understaffed. We always aim to make sure our job descriptions fit the role they describe as much as possible and we do always ensure that our homes have enough staff on shift to provide our service users with the highest standard of care. Please get in touch with our HR team on hr@exemplarhc.com if you would like to discuss your concerns further

Shocking

Absolutely horrible place to work. Management don't care at all. They don't tell you in the interview what its like working there. Its like a mental home. There are care plans in place for all resident and nurses don't even follow them. Nurses will give the residents what they want when they are kicking off which then makes them aware that when they kick off they get what they want. You can't report anything to management without the rest of the staff finding out. And if you do go to management your treated like dirt by the rest of the staff. Reported to head office who couldn't find anything due to them already knowing head office were coming.

19 April 2022
We’re very sorry to hear about your experience. Our mission is to make every day better for all of our people, and we’re sad to hear that you don’t feel like this was achieved. We have several routes for raining concerns, so we would be happy to discuss the specifics of what you have written about your experience of the home in more detail. Please get in touch with Lindsay Morris on lmorris@exemplarhc.com if you do wish to discuss your concerns further

There are a lot of training and career development opportunities at Exemplar. The friendly staff and colleagues are always available to guide and support.

Wykewood is a beautiful home with an amazing staff team. It provides a fun and friendly environment to work in with opportunities to develop.Excellent staffing levels, where staff are knowledgeable and supportive of new staff joining the team.

Pros

Supportive, friendly, fun, values

5 April 2022
Thank you for your 5 star review of Wykewood. We’re really glad to hear that the team are amazing and the work environment is fun and friendly. We hope you enjoy a long and rewarding career with us.

Fun and rewarding work

I am new to the company and my experience so far has been fantastic. Everyone has been warm and welcoming. The staff are very knowledgeableand supportive in my learning.

29 March 2022
Thank you for your 5 star review of Exemplar Health Care. We’re really glad to hear that you’ve enjoyed your experience so far and that everyone is welcoming. We hope you enjoy a long and rewarding career with us.

Poor pay in comparison to other job roles in the same sector-Too clicky management have favourite staff they are the only ones to succeed. .

Overall a poor experience- wouldn’t recommend. Staff too clicky in their own groups and unwelcoming.Staff run the floors not management often having little respect for management.

28 March 2022
We’re very sorry to hear about your experience. Our mission is to make every day better for the people we support, and we’re sad to hear that you don’t feel like this was achieved. It is very unusual for us to receive negative feedback, so we would be happy to discuss the specifics of what you have written about your experience of the home in more detail. Please get in touch with Jonathan Harker on jharker@exemplarhc.com

I enjoyed my working time with this company. Management are very supportive and ready to support you through your career progression journey. I can walk up to the manager and table my concerns and she will welcome your ideas and attend to your worries.

Pros

Support, free meals

Cons

Some bad eggs

30 March 2022
Thank you for your comments we’re really glad to hear that your manager is supportive and listens to your ideas and worries. We hope you enjoy a long and rewarding career with us.

Management are not very nice people

Not a nice company to work for..dont no how to treat staff or service users..management are very unprofessional. Management are not very nice people and allow bullying to ho on in the work place.. poor care of service users and when things are reported to management by staff management start to treat you differently and ate very rude

15 March 2022
We’re sorry to hear that your experience at Wykewood did not met your expectations. It’s unusual for us to receive this feedback. Wykewood has recently had a change in management, and a recent colleague survey revealed that the vast majority of staff were very satisfied with the management team. We also have clear policies in place for providing feedback without fear of repercussions. We will continue to support the Wykewood team and ensure that all colleagues feel valued. If you’d like to discuss your review further, please contact Paul Hughes on phughes@exemplarhc.com.

Dreadful

Please avoid at all costs no structure pay is below average night staff sleep throughout shift medication given out when nurse feels like it constant backstabbing from staff and the manager basically running on agency staff

8 March 2022
We’re very sorry to hear about your experience. Our mission is to make every day better for the people we support, and we’re sad to hear that you don’t feel like this was achieved. It is very unusual for us to receive negative feedback, so we would be happy to discuss the specifics of what you have written about your experience of the home in more detail. Please get in touch with Darsana regional director on dkarki@exemplarhc.com.

Toxic

Permanently understaffed.Multiple managers over 10 months.Zero respect or backup from senior staff.Complaints and concerns ignored.Multiple attacks on staff by residents.If you want to be constantly abused at work this is the place for you.

Pros

Cons

Abuse, pay constantly wrong.

7 March 2022
We’re very sorry to hear about your experience. Our mission is to make every day better for all of our people, and we’re sad to hear that you don’t feel like this was achieved. We have maintained safe staffing levels throughout the pandemic, and have several routes for raining concerns, so we would be happy to discuss the specifics of what you have written about your experience of the home in more detail. Please get in touch with Darsana Karki on dkarki@exemplarhc.com.

Friendly work environment

I returned to exemplar after quite a few years . All management were supportive of why i left originally, which was the night shifts made me ill . i was welcomed back on a days only contract with open arms . Management were amazing and all carers were wonderful. I felt like part of the team straight away it was like i’d never left . But sadly i had to leave within weeks again as the rota changed from the rolling rota , which i loved as i could plan and arrange my life months ahead , to the new request rota , which was never going to work for me . so i was sad to leave so quickly, but i need to plan ahead a lot as i get older , doctors, dentists , family occasions etc . But everything else was fantastic. But for me , no home /life balance .

10 March 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re really glad to hear that the management were amazing and you felt welcome when you started. We’re sorry to hear that the rota change led to you leaving the company. We are looking at our rota processes so we would be happy to discuss the specifics of what you have written in more detail. Please get in touch with Andrew Sharp on asharp@exemplarhc.com

Productive and fun workplace

Worked at Exemplar for 10yrs and I can honestly say the best years of my working life!! Great team, extended family, nothing was to much trouble. Good Management

Were amazing in the beginning, support didnt last

The induction was great and everything was fine for a good while, then management weren't any support to those who needed it and it felt like you were lured into a false sense of TEAM.

Pros

Induction and training was good

Cons

Long shifts, no work life balance

Poorly managed with no induction training which is massively important.

No support or effective management. Just a business. No person centered care, I knew my role but was never allowed to do my shifts in a more effective manner.

Pros

Cons

No training no support.

16 February 2022
We’re very sorry to hear about your experience at Ribble View. We’re proud of our bespoke induction process and ongoing learning and development opportunities, and we’re sad to hear that you don’t feel like this was achieved. It is very unusual for us to receive negative feedback, so we would be happy to discuss the specifics of what you have written about your experience of the home in more detail. Please get in touch with Charlotte Lloyd on clloyd@exemplarhc.com

Good so far

Typically a good place to work, management was so supportive, brilliant and very very freindly. Feels more like a family and a home. Everybody tries as much as possible to do their jobs and management is approachable

Pros

good environment

Overall a negative experience

To be honest the organisation has some great ideas and aspirations its unfortunate that its undercurrent of systematic expectations of every home gets in the way of achieving better outcomes. To big too soon would be a fair comment i think ,get the basics right ,good infrastructure not to many reporting streams that say the same thing .

Cons

Too many chiefs Micro managing change

Extremely rewarding job where no two days are the same

Great company to work for. Exellent training extremely indepth and instructed by professionals with decades of experience there is no feeling of being thrown in the deep end here. Management are extremely supportive and approachable and not the usual micromangement or dictators that are so common elsewhere. Colleagues create a good freindly atmosphere never a dull shift.

Pros

The atmosphere at work fun and laid back.

Cons

12 hour shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exemplar Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement