Exemplar Health Care
Happiness score is 47 out of 100

Exemplar Health Care Employee Reviews

United Kingdom296 reviews

Poor place to work

The company doesn’t look after their staff. The pay offered and for what staff have to deal with is just poor. Never listened to by management and hardly any support, the days are really long. Never appreciated for anything and there was times when there was hardly food in the building of a night time for SU’s!

Pros

No pros

Cons

Poor management

4 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re very sorry to hear that you did not feel appreciated or listened to when you worked with Exemplar Health Care. We do have regular listening sessions in place for colleagues to address any concerns that they have with management so that these can be looked in to in further detail. We’d also like to chat to you about the concerns you’ve raised. Please get in touch with the HR team on hr@exemplarhc.com.

Don't work here if you value your mental health

Training was good but that's more of a product of the senior that was training.It is very clique based with a very clear divide and lack of communication with day staff and night staff, this was brought to management with nothing done about it.Upper management are not as caring as they seem and will offer very little support when you experience heavy trauma on the job, upon having a breakdown it was suggested to me by a manager that I double up my anti depressant dose with no medical intervention and this was coming from a nurse. The only good part of this was some colleagues and the service users.

12 August 2022
We’re very sorry to hear about your experience and that you didn’t not feel supported when you worked with us. We always encourage our mangers to be supportive and communicate well with our colleagues as we understand you have a difficult role and want to make every day better for our service users. Please get in touch with Charlotte Lloyd on clloyd@exemplarhc.com if you do wish to discuss your concerns further.

Insights into Exemplar Health Care

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

dead end job

This is a dead end job with little or no benefits or chance to progress. Like most care sector jobs it's a paltry wage even with NVQs.Same pay rate for nights/unsociable hours coupled with long 12 hour shifts. Breaks are deducted from your annual leave. There is lots of agency use and staff off sick. There has been a high turn over of staff. Many staff feel deflated and treated like just a number.Ultimately if you want to go to work for 12 hours a day to earn a pittance. Just make sure your face fits and you'll be fine or you'll encounter the wrath of the brown noses.

2 August 2022
We’re very sorry to hear about your experience and that you didn’t not feel appreciated when you worked with us. One of our current business aims is to reduce the amount of agency staff in our homes and we are always looking at new ways to retain colleagues in order to show staff we appreciate their hard work and also to allow continuity of care for our service users. We have several routes for raining concerns, so we would be happy to discuss the specifics of what you have written about your experience of the home in more detail. Please get in touch with Jon Harker on jharker@exemplarhc.com if you do wish to discuss your concerns further.

Teamwork

Over the last 6 months I can see the improvements the management team have made to the home. New team members, new team leaders and new unit manager. Happy service users and staff. There is always someone to listen to the staff and services users striving for a better work place.

Pros

Services users and team members

Cons

Pay could be better

28 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re really glad to hear that there is always someone available to listen to the staff and service users which makes them happy and creates a nice environment in the home. However we are sorry to hear you feel the pay could be better, if you wish to discuss this further then please contact Mark Rushton on mrushton@exemplarhc.com.

Not bad

Company is good. They provide full training to the new staff and support them. The company payment orocess is not good. Once i forgot sign on time sheet but i have all proof for working on that they but they cant consider this thing .

6 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re really glad to hear that you enjoy working at Exemplar Health Care and that you feel you have been provided with good training to support you in your role. If you would like to discuss your concerns about our payment processes further, then please contact Darsana Karki on dkarki@exemplarhc.com

It’s okay

There is a lot of favouritism from management. If issues are reported to them regarding certain staff members they turn a blind eye. Service users are wonderful and it’s brilliant being able to make a difference in their lives, just a shame that management aren’t the best.

19 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry to hear that you felt that the style of management in your home was unfair. We always encourage an inclusive and unbiased environment in our homes that is endorsed by management and take any concerns reported to us seriously as we have a specific raising concerns committee to look in to these matters. We’d like to chat to you about the concerns you’ve raised. Please get in touch with Karen Paterson or Lindsay Morris on kpaterson@exemplarhc.com or lmorris@exemplarhc.com.

Awful experience

I began working for exemplar healthcare a few weeks ago and after the struggle I faced after one shift I can already say that it has the worst management team I have come across. Despite my first shift going quite well, there is incredibly poor communication between staff, especially in relation to management as they fail to respond to emails, even about important matters. I turned up to my second shift (in which management never confirmed the time of, I just assumed) to find that my shadower was not in and there was no management in at all to tell me who else I could shadow or what I was actually supposed to do. I had only completed online training and had only watched a handful of practical tasks (moving/ handling, personal care) without doing anything myself but was expected to perform these tasks without any experience which is very dangerous to people in vulnerable positions!!! I then emailed my manager and it took a week for a reply back. I then rang up one day the morning I was supposed to do a shift and was then accused of practically not working there because I hadn’t got the correct contact numbers and nobody knew who I was, I wasn’t even on the rota! Absolutely awful place to work and I wouldn’t recommend to anyone.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Poor management, lack of communication, lack of training

5 July 2022
We’re very sorry to hear about your experience. We always aim to provide our colleagues with a comprehensive induction programme and we are currently looking at our rota processes to help these be as efficient as possible. We would be happy to discuss the specifics of what you have written about in more detail. Please get in touch with Jonathan Harker on jharker@exemplarhc.com if you do wish to discuss your concerns further

Fantastic training and brilliant ethics

Exemplar I feel are the way forward they really care about the care they are giving,I feel excited for the future as I feel we all are at cheshire springs the management are fantastic and so helpful,I recommend Exemplar so have a browse and see for your self

4 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re really glad to hear you would recommend Cheshire Springs as somewhere to work and that you feel the management are supportive and helpful.

Best move I ever made!

What can I say…..This is by far the best company I have ever worked for. They really do look after their staff from day one. They are all about teamwork and integrity, whilst having fun too. Management are very approachable and will always help, even when they are busy. All new staff have an induction to welcome you into your new role. There are lots of opportunities to progress if you wish to do so and also plenty of e learning to help you understand your role and the company.If you’re looking for a change of career where you are rewarded and appreciated and want to feel part of an amazing team then I would definitely recommend Exemplar Health as a company and Cheshire Springs as a place of work 😊

4 July 2022
Thank you for your 5 star review of Cheshire Springs. We’re really glad to hear that the management team are approachable and that you feel rewarded and appreciated when you are at work. We hope you enjoy a long and rewarding career with us.

Great company to work for. Good values and always striving to make every day better

Great company to work for. Very positive culture with very supportive colleagues. Always striving to make every day better for people who live and work in Exemplar Health Care Homes.

14 June 2022
Thank you for your 5 star review of Exemplar Health Care. We’re really glad to hear that you think we are a great company to work for and that we do make every day better. We hope you enjoy a long and rewarding career with us.

very bad colleagues

very bad support workers no support from managers and clinical leada lot of whistleblower without a fair conversation and attention from managers. Very superficial interest for the residence.

Pros

free training

Cons

bad communication

14 June 2022
We’re very sorry to hear about your experience. We have a detailed whistleblowing policy outlining the process for when concerns are raised and always advise and encourage this to be followed. Our mission is to make every day better for all of our colleagues and our service users and we’re sad to hear that you don’t feel like this was achieved. We have several routes for raining concerns, so we would be happy to discuss the specifics of what you have written about your experience of the home in more detail. Please get in touch with Adam Moore on amoore@exemplarhc.com if you do wish to discuss your concerns further.

Not good

Management are cliquey and never leave you alone on your days off. Constantly training to be done and not enough benefits within the job considering everything you have to deal with

20 May 2022
We’re sorry to hear that your experience at one of our care homes did not meet your expectations. We understand that all of our colleagues need time to rest on their days off and that they would not want to be contacted whilst they are away from work. We also only ask colleagues to keep their training up to date so that they have the necessary skills and confidence to help them in their roles. Furthermore, we are also currently making changes to the management team to help colleagues feel even more supported at work. If you’d like to discuss your review further, please contact Adam Moore on amoore@exemplarhc.com.

Professional and competitive

A people centric business for both staff and service users. Ensuring that the right people are employed to provide service of the highest standard. Very community driven.

25 May 2022
Thank you for your 5 star review of Exemplar Health Care. We’re really glad to hear that you feel we are a people centric business for staff and services users that is driven by the community. We hope you enjoy a long and rewarding career with us.

Not awful. 2.5 stars.

Not awful place to work. Most residents are great to work with, however some have frequent behaviours of concern... can be very difficult work if understaffed, which is regularly, but the support from more experienced HCAs and some nurses is invaluable. Management seems to change their mind about all sorts constantly, difficult to keep up, especially as they tend to be poor at communicating too. Management rarely listen to HCAs, we rely on the nurses to raise concerns. Pay was minimum wage but received modest pay rise recently - but still not great for the difficulty of the work. Break not paid, only 20 days holiday + bank holidays. High staff turnover, easy to see why. Staff morale was low and has only declined whilst I've been here. Other HCAs agree, you feel like a cog in a machine instead of valued as a person. Feels like company has noticed and is trying to improve, but very slowly and priority seems to be on presenting itself as good rather than actually running an efficient service. Worked here for 10 months, don't see myself staying for much longer. However, due to massive understaffing, lots of overtime available and very good job security. Would I recommend working here? Probably, but only for a while. Good experience working with residents, learning about how to treat/deal with different conditions, but not somewhere you want to stay.

Pros

Residents, helpful coworkers, overtime available

Cons

Poor communication, frequent understaffing

17 May 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re glad to hear that you have enjoyed working with the residents in our homes, but we are very sorry that you do not feel valued and that the home is regularly understaffed. We want to thank you for the hard work you put in when looking after service users and we run initiatives like listening sessions to help colleagues express any concerns that they may be having so that these can be looked in to. We also ensure that our homes have a sufficient number of staff on shift to ensure our service users receive the best possible care but if you’d like to discuss your review further, please contact the HR team on hr@exemplarhc.com.

Warned and still took the role.

I was warned by a colleague that this is a bad place to work at there head office in Rotherham, I still took the role in payroll and it was a nightmare from start to finish.

10 May 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience when working at our head office in Rotherham. We have a comprehensive induction programme to welcome our new colleagues to help them settle in to their roles and their new working environment and we are sorry to hear you did not have a pleasant experience during your time with us. If you’d like to chat about the concerns you’ve raised please get in touch with the HR team on hr@exemplarhc.com

Perfect place to work

I worked at Scotia heights and it was the best care job ever, management is responsive, staff are nice, team leaders are willing to put you on. Salary comes in time

Pros

A lot

Cons

Nothing I can think of

28 April 2022
Thank you for your 5 star review of Scotia Heights. We’re really glad to hear that you got on well with your colleagues and that the managers you worked with were responsive, thank you for your hard work when you were with us.

Gruelling and underpaid

The service itself is a nice service with lovely residents- however most residents aren’t suited to eachother at all and are very mismatched. The job you do is nothing like the job description at all, you’re expected to do ten jobs at once whilst other people sit around and do nothing and they get all the praise. Always understaffed. Pay is very poor for what you have to do.

Pros

Residents

19 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear that the service you work in is nice and that you enjoy working with our service users. However we are sorry that you feel the role is not like the job description and that the home is understaffed. We always aim to make sure our job descriptions fit the role they describe as much as possible and we do always ensure that our homes have enough staff on shift to provide our service users with the highest standard of care. Please get in touch with our HR team on hr@exemplarhc.com if you would like to discuss your concerns further

Shocking

Absolutely horrible place to work. Management don't care at all. They don't tell you in the interview what its like working there. Its like a mental home. There are care plans in place for all resident and nurses don't even follow them. Nurses will give the residents what they want when they are kicking off which then makes them aware that when they kick off they get what they want. You can't report anything to management without the rest of the staff finding out. And if you do go to management your treated like dirt by the rest of the staff. Reported to head office who couldn't find anything due to them already knowing head office were coming.

19 April 2022
We’re very sorry to hear about your experience. Our mission is to make every day better for all of our people, and we’re sad to hear that you don’t feel like this was achieved. We have several routes for raining concerns, so we would be happy to discuss the specifics of what you have written about your experience of the home in more detail. Please get in touch with Lindsay Morris on lmorris@exemplarhc.com if you do wish to discuss your concerns further

There are a lot of training and career development opportunities at Exemplar. The friendly staff and colleagues are always available to guide and support.

Wykewood is a beautiful home with an amazing staff team. It provides a fun and friendly environment to work in with opportunities to develop.Excellent staffing levels, where staff are knowledgeable and supportive of new staff joining the team.

Pros

Supportive, friendly, fun, values

5 April 2022
Thank you for your 5 star review of Wykewood. We’re really glad to hear that the team are amazing and the work environment is fun and friendly. We hope you enjoy a long and rewarding career with us.

Fun and rewarding work

I am new to the company and my experience so far has been fantastic. Everyone has been warm and welcoming. The staff are very knowledgeableand supportive in my learning.

29 March 2022
Thank you for your 5 star review of Exemplar Health Care. We’re really glad to hear that you’ve enjoyed your experience so far and that everyone is welcoming. We hope you enjoy a long and rewarding career with us.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exemplar Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Exemplar Health Care with

• Exemplar Health Care
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?