Exeter College

Exeter College Employee Reviews

Brilliant company to work for

Featured review

Exeter College selected this as a representative review
loved working for Exeter collage ...grate staff an team work ...good for getting food Qualifications a happy a fun place to be ..good pay ..ideal for mums with youngsters as term time

Great place to Work!

Exeter College is an amazing place to work - ive been here for over 8 years which says it all!Wonderful people, forward thinking, inspirational and above all supportive and fun to work for.There is a real emphasis on staff wellbeing at the College with wonderful staff development opportunities and benefits to tap into.I wouldnt want to work anywhere else

Pros

The Staff, The Ethos of the College

Great College Great Staff

Really great college to work at. It is divided by vocational areas and relevant business support depts, in locations which are related well to the area.For instance the Apprenticeship Team are based in city centre, lovely environment when you walk in and staff are very friendly and know what they are talking about. Senior Management have always shown an interest in what I have to say and the Principal will make a point of stopping and chatting which helps to promote a healthy open culture.It is a friendly place to work, there are high expectations for the staff, students and Apprentices but this is reflected in the results and great staff investment that is improving all the time. Staff training and development is encouraged and the online systems the college has developed make life so much easier to balance your work / home life. Hardest part is the period of Sept to Dec which is naturally busy due to start of term and college year- workload is very busy. But balanced with colleagues who are supportive and management who are interested in you it is not as bad as could be.

Pros

Investment in staff with development training opportunities, discounts and benefits scheme and social events

Cons

Hard work - but worth it to get this on your CV

Bad management at Exeter College

Poor treatment by management is rife at Exeter College. Particularly the Faculty Management Groups of Business and IT and Professional Adult Learning. Just from these faculties alone I know of 9 staff who have left either by a agreement or by them just resigning because they have had enough. In the last 2 years a lot of staff go off ill. There is a bullying culture at Exeter College.If you are a serious Teacher committed to your career and developing young people do not get a job at Exeter College.However the location is great

Pros

Cons

If you are good you will be bullied

Lovely faculty until the amalgamation with Foundation...

The original learning support was really very good and supportive towards the students. When 2 faculties were amalgamated, the culture changed and any general students who had real support needs lost support almost over a few weeks. Only students with EHCPs continued to be fully supported. I left as the change was being implemented: I could see what was happening and did not agree with it.

Pros

Lots of support for high achieving students

Cons

Poor ethos and culture in FLS. Poorly led with little sympathy for support.

Going downhill - Management have lost respect

I've worked at the college as a full time lecturer for a number of years now. The department I work in is stressful and fast-paced, though can be rewarding. Recently the management (SLT) have started to lose the respect on their staff. Overtime has not been paid this year and training has been cut back. We have to fight for any decent CPD. The Senior Leadership Team continue to evolve and have become evermore inward facing. It is rare you see them out on the floor, especially on sites further away from the main Hele Road campus. I've really started to lose faith in the management and our reputation is taking a hit as a result. Limited communication with staff and parents alike during the recent lockdown, lack of progression opportunities and the removal of any overtime payments - having worked the hours. Our accommodation is bare bones with a very limited kitchen area for many staff. SLT remain focused on their own progression and are forever working with external schools and business, rather than looking after their own staff and sites. I will be looking to move on if this continues.

Pros

Deputies and my HoF are great. They have to put up with a lot of nonsense from above.

Cons

Lack of overtime pay (without warning), lack of progression, no respect from SLT

Disappointing

Very outdated working practices where mileage is not paid for visiting learners. You need to use a pool car based at the college, which could be further away than the site you are visiting.

Pros

Great people overall

Cons

Mileage not paid for visiting learners and employers, terrible communication, lack of support

Unsupportive Management in FLS

- Unsupportive HoF in FLS = lots of brilliant, dedicated, experienced staff leaving - Facilities & accommodation don't support needs of learners in FLS - Colleagues are supportive and caring

Challenging, fast-paced and often stressful, but a satisfying job with great students and colleagues

Exeter College can be a tough place to work at times, with low pay, overwork and lack of resources sometimes being an issue. However, colleagues are kind and supportive, the students are interesting to work with and the jobs here are generally satisfying if you enjoy working with young people. There is usually a lot of paperwork to manage, so a high level of organisation and dedication to the role is required.

Rewarding

Loved working here. Loved the staff too. Lots of hard work but the rewards pay that off. Management for support staff were excellent. Would encourage anyone to apply if patient and love helping young people achieve.

Pros

Lots of training.

Cons

Can be very tiring

Jobs at Exeter College

See more jobs

Lovely colleagues but poor management

I would never recommend working for the Foundation department as management is extremely poor. I would recommend it fully for students but never to work directly with the management team they had. Unacceptable behavior from management. They have an amazingly hard working and dedicated team (that they are slowly losing) who are second to none and would work with again in a heart beat. Purely management that lets this workplace down.

Supporting Education

It's one of the hardest jobs going. But the people are great. The purpose is great. You will never get paid enough for the work that you do. But its the sense of fulfilment that is priceless.

Get worked to the ground

You get run into the ground there no work life balance it’s all work and you get penalised if you don’t put in the extra work! you get penalised for being off sick, you get looked down soon as you have long term illnesses, there no understanding of mental health, and no support put in place! Managers word against yours and you never get believed anyway I wouldn’t work here again!!

Pros

Other staff members

Cons

Work to the ground

Friendly environment

People working at this university are mostly friendly and the work environment is also nice. It is a great opportunity to work for a university which is a part of Russell group, however the salary is not what is expected of a russell group university based on the expected amount of work for the postdoctoral position. The job security is also not great as most of the positions are contracted and there is very little possibilities of extension at the end of the contact.

Pros

Good people and work environment

Cons

Salary and job security

Exceptional

Part of the ethos for Exeter College is their strive to continually better themselves, this is only further supported by the management culture within the college itself.

Fun and given training

I did this as I love being created and wanted to get my qualification. I then proceeded to study Level 3 Prosthetics and Media makeup as it is my passion. I also had A unconditional offer given at interview.

becoming very corporate

I worked in Student Support and this used to be good place to work, but not any more. The old crew were lovely , buy most have now left or have been pushed out by the new management team who have a very different,clinical approach to working with Students. I would stay well clear.

Pros

The Students

Cons

everything else

Senior management is terrible

This is one of those workplaces that used to be wonderful, but has started to believe in its own hype and no one more so than senior management. Strategic direction is something that is written for a glossy booklet and abandoned. Competitiveness and coming out on top overrides useful collaboration between departments. Whether your face fits and your agreeable overrides merit and skill. Holiday entitlement is good, but you’ll want the break and the pay is pretty bad compared to other local employers.

Pros

Holiday

Cons

Compulsory ‘fun’

Work experience

I attended Exeter College Day Nursery to do work experience for my college, to help further support my chosen course. I can't say much about the salary due to it being work experience. I do rate it 5 stars, but some things I feel can be improved.

Worked to death

Collegues are nice but management are shocking. No staff rest areas, it’s all about the students which is good but staff are treated as second rate. The more you do the more they expect.

Pros

The students are great

Cons

Tight back to back lessons with no time to prepare

Decent and exciting place to study.

My time in Exeter College gave me the chance to become more independent and the studies that I did provided me with more options in the future. The college itself is modern and a great place for further education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exeter College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement