Exeter College

Program Manager2 reviews
United Kingdom2 reviews

collegestudentsupportstaffteamworkinggoodtime

Need to work in Engineering HE in FE closer to home

Since leaving the Royal Navy as a training and educational specialist I have been taking a part-time Cert Ed whilst working full time as an engineering lecturer and HE programme manager at Exeter College. It's been a really good four years and I really enjoy my teaching but I live in Mary Tavy so I have a long commute in and out every day and I'm rather tired of it - UTC is much closer and in Plymouth where I would like to work. I'm not looking for a senior managment role in education any more as I like my 10 weeks holiday a year and I really feel I'm 'giving back' as a lecturer my higher level of knowledge and skills to my students. I have no adverse feelings towards Exeter College - they're a great team; it's just that I expect to have to work for another 10 - 12 years and I can't imagine putting up with the commute and its cost for the rest of my working life. I have been closely watching UTC job adverts and reviews for some time and believe that it the ideal environment for me to deliver my teaching and learning expertise in a critical shortage area.

Pros

OFSTED Grade 1 Team

Cons

Long commute to work from Tavistock

Going downhill - Management have lost respect

I've worked at the college as a full time lecturer for a number of years now. The department I work in is stressful and fast-paced, though can be rewarding. Recently the management (SLT) have started to lose the respect on their staff. Overtime has not been paid this year and training has been cut back. We have to fight for any decent CPD. The Senior Leadership Team continue to evolve and have become evermore inward facing. It is rare you see them out on the floor, especially on sites further away from the main Hele Road campus. I've really started to lose faith in the management and our reputation is taking a hit as a result. Limited communication with staff and parents alike during the recent lockdown, lack of progression opportunities and the removal of any overtime payments - having worked the hours. Our accommodation is bare bones with a very limited kitchen area for many staff. SLT remain focused on their own progression and are forever working with external schools and business, rather than looking after their own staff and sites. I will be looking to move on if this continues.

Pros

Deputies and my HoF are great. They have to put up with a lot of nonsense from above.

Cons

Lack of overtime pay (without warning), lack of progression, no respect from SLT

Insights into Exeter College

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exeter College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement