EY

3.6Pay & benefits

Found 49 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,613 reviews
londonfirmauditcolleagueorganisationrolepartnerdevelopment

Fast paced

Your general experience is quite heavily determined by management and your team/connections. If you build the right network, life can be a little easier.Long hours required and busy seasons can take a toll. It can be difficult to time holiday as cover is limited, so you’ll often work up the hours on your return to get yourself back to the same place as before you left. Flexible working helps but again is determined on the culture of your team.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Work/life balance, compensation

Trudging through the treacle of process and incompetant workers

It's been a very gruelling and unrewarding experience working in EY - managers only care about process and distributing blame and the myriad contractors I have to work with are highly unskilled and have terrible communication skills. This means if a contractor has a question, I'd provide a response to them, and if they don't understand the response, instead of saying so, they'd just ask the question again later on. It also means despit being a developer I often have much greater skill (and apparently experience) in these contractors' roles, be it UI/UX, QA or DevOps. We've had circumstances like a BA not knowing how to create User Stories and at one point we brought on a purported senior developer who didn't know what Git was!We have interminable meetings with huge numbers of people, all of whom with cameras off and muted. This makes it very difficult to remember you are on the call with humans, and means you're spending a lot of time making next to no progress.The software process is Wagile (read Waterfall) with sprints being static and designed to suit Scrum Masters and management rather than for the people they were created to assist: developers.Salary raises are effectively non-negotiable.

Pros

Big corporate pluses like pension and workplace provisioning is nice

Cons

Management, death by mindless process, unskilled colleagues

Insights into EY

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks

Stressful, Dead End

A good stamp on your CV, but the work load is so varied and hectic and every task is super urgent, you will grind your teeth a lot and be frustrated until you up and leave.The goal post keeps shifting, you never have the time to master your categories. Good for a few years but not healthy or sustainable long term

Pros

Good Healthcare

Cons

Long Hours, Micro Management, Hectic

Good culture

Overall a Good office. Great culture and good top management. Staff turnover is high and long working hours.Pay just average in the market. Bonus are far below. General benefit. 25 days holiday per year

Secure and Flexible

Flexible working, great benefits and rewards/recognition/bonus. Very secure job, great values and a strong company vision. Office’s modern and pretty much in every city

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Lots of work

Senior Auditor

Long hours in busy season and don't feel you are rewarded in terms of pay. Very little benefits. Good culture at the firm. Get work from home 3 days a week.

Pros

Good culture

Micro managed & unrealistic opportunities

Constant changes and increasing workload with very little help, unrealistic promotion sights with such a varied workload it’s near impossible to progress in any which way, any thoughts or suggestions not taken onboard unless your high up

Pros

Generous benefit options and annual salary review

Cons

Micro-Managed, no support or gratitude and wellbeing not considered

No progression opportunities, long hours and no recognition for hard work.

EY is great for flexible working and that is the only positive about the role and also the only reason I have stayed at the company so long. Management is a joke and you are expected to work in the same role for 10 years before being considered for promotion. I was doing work as a level above what I was for 2 years before I got promoted. No recognition for working long hours and salary is not very good. Part time staff expected to do full time work in part time hours.

Great place to work but lack of progression and salary below manager level very poor

EY is a great place to work and has a flexible work culture. However the progression is based on who you know/how well you are liked. Some of the people in more senior positions should not be there, and are hard to work with.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Lack of progression and poor salary/benefits

EY review

Good company, good work culture, but low salary compared to market. and progression is also low. A good place to learn and best to leave once you have learned enough.

Pros

flexible working

Cons

low salary

Great Employer

Excellent team culture and learning opportunities. Great benefits, strong internal and external network and exposure to market leading clients. Hours can be long on certain projects.

Great experience, sad to leave

Loved EY London, the people the vibe. I had a great team and we eventually became like family. I was promoted within 5 months of joining due to me hard work and technical excellence.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Work load vs salary did not match

Global Functions Moving Offshore

Pros - Good package - Remote & Flexible working - Excellent technology to support role - Inclusive environment. Diversity and Inclusivity are embraced - Employees (once proven) are given a lot of autonomy in how the role is performed - Global mindset. Everyone accepts the benefits of working across multiple timezones Cons - Many UK roles (especially in global functions) are moving to cheaper labour centers - Vast salary disparities for people in similar roles/ranks - Global functions are heavily US centric - Progression often relies on personal networks rather than ability - Disregard for any function that is not generating revenue (e.g. Process Improvement. - Real lack of any support to retrain/relocate individuals into new roles, should their role be eliminated. Advice to Management Stop trying to fix something that isn't broken. My last few years at EY saw one initiative after another being launched as the 'Silver Bullet' to successful Technology development (e.g. Product Management, Agile development, centralisation of resources in an operations function). The amount of change was crazy and was impossible to keep pace with. Also take a long hard look at the internal recruitment function. We live in an ever changing world, and re-organisation is inevitable, however there is a lot of high-performing talent falling out the organisation as a consequence. I really enjoyed my time at EY and would have loved to stay and help. Sadly it did not happen.

Long Hours

The expectation at EY is to work long working hours and to be placed under constant work pressure with minimal resources to complete the work. As working in tax only office and due to workload this meant you did not get to experience all the different tax work that is available. You would stick to what the managers wanted without much chance to expand your own knowledge base. They was good study support from EY and they were flexible in allowing time off for exam preparation.

Pros

Staff at office location

Cons

Long Hours

Worst place to work

How about doing 20 hours of unpaid overtime every week? Remember, that your base salary outside London is only 20K. Mean people, writing complaints behind your back,awful disorganisation of clients. Quality of work of majority of people is extremely low, unlike their arrogance. Some senior manager didn`t know how to use Excel!!!!! Was ordered around to book her hotels and bring coffee and breakfasts... I cannot imagine worse kind of people and worse work culture. Staff rotation was insane as all the newcomers were leaving as soon as their contract allowed them. Would never recommend it to anyone, worst 1,5 years of my life.

Great for flexible working

Really hot on flexible working in my team, they allow you to work from home at least two days per week. Salary not the best compared to comparable roles. Management good

Pros

flexible and good culture

Cons

salary

Unrealistic deadlines and expectations

Prepare for very little sleep and respect for your personal time. Budget for your work to get done always tight. Work on average 6 days a week and long hours. Benefits: Travel covered by company and allowances good.

Great Place to Work!

Good people and great culture Great benefits and supports flexible working. Good work ethics. Good mentoring Would definitely recommend Central location

Don't pay bonus

EY is full of incredible people who are genuinely working hard for their clients. Be prepared for clients to treat you like muck because they are paying a lot. Be aware, no bonuses have been paid for the last 3 years because they are based on achieving growth targets. So even if the firm grows 19% in the year, if the target is 20% there is no bonus.

Pros

Base pay is quite good

Cons

Very long hours

Work life balance is an issue but it has a great culture

Great company to work for because of the benefits packages, training, support and the friendly environment. You also have the freedom to work from home twice a week, which saves you from commuting. My only issues from working in recruitment were that the hours can be long due to the volumes, and its difficult to progress because of the competition.

Pros

Working from home, training and support

Cons

long hours, difficult to progress due to competition

Great place to work at

It is a nice place to work at Easily approachable management Salary benefits could be better Many opportunities to showcase your talent Overall, a great place to learn and build career

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EY. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement