F. Hinds logo

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits
3.3Job security & advancement

sales assistant

loved all of the staff and was so lovely to work with such an excellent team. the only downside was the manager. no support and expects you to work overtime every week even though you aren't contracted to.

Good to gain jewellery knowledge for a while but not for the long term

Please note I am also writing this review for anyone interested in the job here. Not just for those interested in gaining more experience in jewellery. I already passed a jewellery course diploma, JET 1 which stands for Jewellery Education and Training and in future wanted to gain the next qualification, JET 2 which opens many doors in the industry. On the first day I was introduced to a Management Training Scheme which enables you to learn the rules, regulations and sales techniques in the store which is useful. This would last from 3-6 or so months to complete and ties in whether you pass your probation. What I didn't learn and in hindsight should have asked was whether I would have the opportunity to take part in the JET 2 but the manager said the shop doesn't pay towards that course, only JET 1. The only way to progress is within the company but to some that is to be expected as with most shops so you can climb up the management ladder. On the first day aside from being introduced to the MTS, only shadowing a fellow member of staff to learn what to say to customers and where things are for etc. You do this for a week or so then you learn on your own. Every week you have to take part in an Observation sheet where a member of staff secretly witnesses you ticks certain boxes on the sheet, e.g. did I ask how much the customer wanted to spend, did I introduce any other items, did I ask who's it for, is at a gift etc. The sheets are good guidelines on how you interact and how you can sell well however I felt being assessed in this way was tiresome and lacked certain -

Pros

Good enough salary if you have a JET 1, in house training on rules and regulations, becoming a better sales person

Cons

Poor management, Not a decent level of career progression, No future jewellery qualifications needed

Excellent and Demanding

Ensuring that the shop floor and windows displays are replenished. Successful supervision of sales floor staff. Team meeting with Daily targets, KPIs for the store, targets for Staff . Coaching. Promotions. Stock delivery's. Sales Reps. Area Managers, Directors visiting the store. Implementation of Staff training. Selling skills, Features/ Benefits. Up Selling. Customer service. With new stock or gems stones coming though there is always something new to learn. With staff you have different levels of skills/ Advisors, making sure that their skills are used to their best ability. With customer service, you don't just have a customer in front of you, you make a friend you get to know them. What their like's and dislikes. ( What, When, Were, Who, How). Go that extra mile. This will encourage repeat business.

Pros

Staff discounts, Bonus, Benafits.

Cons

Not doing well, when customer flow or centre is struggling.

Jobs at F. Hinds