FDM Group

FDM Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom58 reviews

graduaterolecontracttrainingclientaccountsalarycareer

Do not join FDM group graduate

FDM graduate trainee programme is quite risky to join. It all depends on whether you pass the training assessments during training to stay on and how well you do on a client interview to secure a client placement. They have this tough assessment process and then have weekly fast paced assessments which you have to pass to stay on the scheme. One of the tests was unannounced whilst being taught the theory on the day. If you fail more than 3 assessments then they terminate your contract.Also being on a client placement all depends on account managers who approach you and how well you do at a client interview.Unfortunately my contract got terminated and I regret leaving my previous secure job. The whole experience of being terminated has affected my mental health and finding it hard to secure a job as job market is already competitive.I took a risk and during the training they do expect you to work extra hours. Their training is on how to write a cv, presentation, complex ms excel projects and test.

Mixed bag

Enjoyable training and a high calibre of people on the returners programme. Working for FDM gives you the opportunity to work with some great companies. Salaries are well below market rate though.

Insights into FDM Group

Areas for improvement
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager

Risk, regulation and compliance consultant

I can only give positive feedback about FDM. The reason is because you join this company as a graduate in order to gain experience and see different areas. This is exactly what FDM has done for so far. Also, I joined the company during COVID-19 which was a really tough time to find a job. Thus, I really appreciate the fact they believed in me and I am trying to do my best to gain as much as I can through this experience. Lastly, because some people mention it in general. Many will say that they don't pay enough. However, I will that for some individuals this could be their first role. So, considering this I could that the offered salary is great.

Pros

great job opportunities, salary, working hours

Cons

may take time to find out what role you would like the most, could take some time till you get placed

FDM pays you less than half the money that they get paid

They get paid a daily rate by the company you go consult for and it often works out to be over double your annual take home salary. Then tell you its your fault for signing the contract and you should have known what you got yourself into. Your salary as an individual does go up over the years, yes. But the base salary has not gone up to match inflation. It's a job where you'll be worked hard but get paid nothing

Pros

Cons

Bad pay

Avoid

The training is borderline useless, its just a way of wasting 6 weeks of your life and if you try and leave the will try and hold it over your head with some ridiculous fees. The account managers are hot and cold - they cant do enough for you to get you into a contract but once your there getting a response is like drawing blood from a stone. I know people who have intentionally been kept in poor working environments because the account managers will drag their feet about them leaving poor quality roles. The roles that you do get are low level admin at less than half the market salary. Would avoid.

Hit and miss

Some people do incredibly well from placements and others come out in the same position as before the grad scheme. Your client placement determines your success

Ok

Management unrealistic and out of touch with modern teaching methods. Old style teaching. I witnessed some terrible teaching practice from so called long serving professionals. Good chance to improve knowledge. Most trainees are of a good standard and are willing to learn.

Helps you get your foot in the door with large companies

FDM group is a global consultancy which provides training to graduates in several different pathways and then places those trainees on site with clients. Although you are not guaranteed to be placed once training is completed most people are and the placements do help get your foot in the door of some major companies. Furthermore FDM does provide a decent amount of earning resources for those that want to upskill in a particular area.

Good first step

The graduate scheme was a good way to get started in the industry. Note you do not get paid until you start your first placement. The training provided was good.

Competative but a great way to get your foot into the door

13 week training scheme, coming in early and leaving late. A new topic would be introduce on Monday and you are expected to master by Friday. Once placed i was forgotten. But that wasn't what i joined FDM for. You may be applying for FDM, but you are really applying to all they partners and connects. Though the FDM Training course may not have been the best, it learnt the majority of what i needed from the web. Coming from a non IT background, it was a great way to get you foot in the door.

Worst place in the

If you are a graduate please stay clear of this place. I have never worked for such a terrible company in my entire life. They are not clear about anything they do and the whole process will make you question your life. It’s unpaid training (7 weeks) and you sign this ridiculous contract which states you have to work for them for 2 years or you have to pay a fee of £15000. The training is not even worth £10.00 so I have no idea where £15000 came from.after the silly contact you have to wait 90 days to get placed UNPAID but the account managers don’t even look for roles for you. I spent 7 months in this place doing absolutely nothing and when I chased them up they always had ‘roles’ which fell through. It was the the worst mistake of my life and I regret it everyday. I would give them -5 out 5 if I could.

Shambles of organisational structure & a very incompetent sales department. Only turn to FDM as a last resort.

• The head of the Risk, Regulation, & Compliance stream (ex-army guy) is incoherent and unable to articulate common advice to trainees. He just waves his hands about and blurts out noises to try and reach his destination in an explanation. I have never seen someone his age and seniority be so incompetent at communicating. Every graduate I have ever met has easily surpassed his skills in that area. • An Australian lady who was great at teaching professional skills was very unprofessional when reviewing at my CV. My first draft was given specific feedback. However, the second and third drafts were relayed with just a generic conversational email and an excuse that the lady was training other candidates. And then she delegated the responsibility of giving feedback to the head of RRC guy who I was able to achieve nothing with because again he was just waving his hands around and saying nothing, something he is notorious for amongst our RRC stream. • Finally, I would like to put the salespeople in the spotlight. Our RRC seniors and the account managers advise us to constantly visit the sales floor every day to make our presence known and enquire about opportunities with clients. However, when we do visit, no one has time to have a conversation and they exhibit closed body language with a miserable face to go along with it. Additionally, they say they have opportunities but, in the end, we find out they are still bidding for the tender from the client and don’t have anything. I prefer transparency and value-add but it seems here talking the talk is all that matters. Some people -

Ex Forces Programme - Slick marketing, poor delivery

Very slick marketing to hook you in. Very poor training (they do not deliver what they say they will and the majority is delivered by IT programme as they don't have licenses). Atrocious account managers that have little motivation to find you a role. Very limited client list outside of London

Pros

London working

Cons

Poor training, poor client list, awful work contract, vastly underpaid

Encouraging, Competitive yet Relaxed

FDM foster a competitive environment where you're encouraged to better yourself daily. Toxic behaviours aren't tolerated and characters are selected on a team fit, so everyone is in a good place at work and never looking down or stressed as we all help each other regardless of the task. This is an excellent employer, whether directly employed by them or as a consultant, I've been on both sides of the fence and enjoyed them equally.

Fast paced but boring

Fast-paced environment waiting to get placed with one of their clients. Once you are placed you have a 2-year minimum contract. If the client has to let you go they will and you go back to the start waiting for a new client.

Ex forces scheme is a bit of a joke

Don't really know where to begin with this company. The recruitment process is slick and very professional but once you are in, you realise they don't really have a clue. The training they provide, well, they don't really provide it. Its all online learning without any instruction which they seem to think is worth £1500 a week. Once you've passed the training then you are in the hands of the almighty sales managers, who don't know who you are and have absolutely no interest in finding out about the product they are selling (that's you by the way). When you actually get an interview (if you are lucky because as much as the recruitment drive says they are opportunities, there really isn't!). Good luck with having information about the role you are interviewing for. Now, if you get through the interview and get placed, don't count your chickens. Chances are that there isn't even a contract in place for you to start and your 60 days to start a role at the end of your training will gradually tick by and no one will be any the wiser about when the job may actually start. Then it will come to that moment were your time is up and and you have pretty much nothing to show for the last 3 months apart from PRINCE2, ITIL v4 and SCRUM master 1, which you could have done in your own time whilst earning for about £600.

It is a scam, do not apply

The worst company I have ever had the misfortune of "working" for. It is unpaid and you get treated like absolute dirt. Management are useless and the culture is so awful. If you are ever contacted by a recruiter to work here, decline!!!!!

Defensive and controlling culture

A typical day - either: training Java OOD, or Java programming or Web Applications Design. - or: developing course material What I learned: - to work again in a fast-paced environment - refresh of Java knowledge based Management - very defensive and controlling - not in touch with market requirements - no emphasis on good teaching pratice Workplace culture - good colleagues The hardest part of the day - traversing the minefield of restrictive management policies - working around the defensive management culture The most enjoyable part of the day - doing my job - delivering training - positive interaction with trainees - improving my knowledge through course material development

No clients = No pay

The training you receive from the company is great, you learn a lot of useful things. However, most of the time the trainers leave you to it and often don't have a clue themselves. After training, you are left in 'The Pond' to upskill or apply for other classes. The training agreement is ridiculous and expect you to remain in FDM for 6 months max without receiving any pay if you don't get placed with a client. Would not recommend.

A place that left Negative effect on my character

In short, they only want you if you can 'make money' for them otherwise they will thrown you out. I managed to spend some time there. below are some incidents i experienced. They had a manager (text driver in the past , now claims to be a consultants). He would line you up in the morning and start threatening you.he would realize you that you are rubbish , no worth on the earth at all. And FDM has given a big favor to accept you as a trainee. but you can not leave this company now because you will have to pay extra fine. just stay there and remain being insulted. saw them threatening and mistreating fellow trainees often. every other week, I'll hear the story that someone was called in the room,insulted and fired. i was brutally insulted and threatened by the door super wiser once because i forget my pass inside the office. when i left them after 2 years i had little money in my pocket because i spend everything on travel and accommodation. Also experienced them putting fake money into employees account so that they can extend their visa against government rules only if these employees are making money for them. I can write few pages but that is enough for now.

Pros

nothing

Cons

see above

Good opportunity to launch your career, not a long-term option

FDM are a good company to launch your career in finance and tech as they have contacts with most of the Blue chip firms. The training they provide is useful but over priced compared to its actual worth. They expect you to stay with them for 2 full years from the day you are placed with a client and take all the necessary legal and non legal precautions to prevent consultants from leaving before this time period. Pay for the consultants is ok but incredibly low compared to the commission the FDM sales reps keep in their pockets. After the 2 years the consultant's salary rise significantly but don't expect account managers to find you new roles as they will always prefer to place consultants in their first 2 years of contract.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FDM Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement