Fenwick

Fenwick Employee Reviews

Day to day is busy with customers, deliveries, opportunities provided to learn about customer service, friendly team , new management some of them not much understanding was the hardest part of job but engaging with customer to meet their satisfaction was the most enjoyable part of my job
Everyone makes you feel so uncomfortable and judged, i have never worked in such a cliquey, unwelcoming environment. The thought of going into work here made me so upset and something really needs to be done about how they treat new people. It’s hard enough coming into a new place with new people and no one does anything to even acknowledge you exist ! Makes you feel worthless and horrible, especially because you spend so much time around these people you’d think that they’d make an effort to at least smile at you but all you get is judgment or at best, completely ignored.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Everything else
Full of bitter personalities. Worst christmas temp job of my life! The funny thing is that everyone is so fed up of their job but don't make any attempt to leave.
Pros
Leaving the job.
Cons
Giving them my time to begin with.
Not the best place to work, runs on fear management, very poor communication, very reactive as apposed to proactive, full of back stabbers born out of watehouse culture
Pros
Finishing shift
Cons
Getting shift over without getting told you may get finished today
Very customer focused which ensures a fast paced environment. Friendly staff members who are always happy to help other departments out. Management where very helpful and informative. The company are very flexible and accommodating with the hours you want to work.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
maybe situations are different according to what department you work in but all the staff, supervisors and managers on my floor were amazing
I worked at Fenwick as a Christmas temp in the wine hall and in all honesty I enjoyed every day that I was there! All the staff were great, including the manager who always seemed to be around and supporting the staff. When I first started everyone here made me feel comfortable and made sure I knew what I was doing and how to do it. All in all I only worked there about a month but I’m missing the place and the people!
Pros
Staff discount is unreal
Cons
In the store I worked at, if you wanted to go to the toilet it was on the top floor and I worked on one of the lower floors.
I loved my experience when I was working at fenwicks. It was hands on most of the time so always something to do to pass time if it was quite late and not many customers were shopping at that time. Lovely people to work with.
The working place was ok, not very busy, can be stood around all day with nothing to do. Half the mangers can’t actually mange anyone, if you had an issue it wouldn’t get sorted, you get more looked at as child rather than a adult, the only benefit was the people you work with and the 25% discount.
Pros
People you can work with and discount
Cons
Management.
Working within the Accounts Payable department at the Newcastle store is definitely a good way to get started out in a finance department. The work was fairly easy but also challenging, which is exactly what you need on a daily basis to keep an interest and keep your mind thinking. The contracts are only temporary so you dont have much job security as you can get let go at any time. Just as they did with the 14 people that they got rid during when the covid - 19 pandemic started. 14 of the staff were told they were getting let go and did not get onto the furlough scheme even though those were available for the company. To these people you are just a number and for that matter a replaceable one. Clear favouritism within the company and management dont really know what they are doing. You are definitely not valued as an employee at this company. Many of the employees who were let go as the lockdown started were hard working and went the extra mile for the company. It was clear that they wanted to get rid of certain individuals. The whole office was all over the place and the management did not really know what they were doing. The management had different rules for different individuals as long as they were liked.
Pros
Good work / life balance, good location
Cons
Terrible management, not recognised for your work, not valued, no progression
Kingston branch and people dont really care and have ignorant views of none whites and have no understanding of religions, peoples colour and live in a filter world of fake reality
Pros
Customers, Canteen
Cons
Hours, Managers, Racism and Placism
Was really nice, be presentable and be polite, other staff can be friendly and a good mix of ages.Good discount too you get 25% off but often have days where you can get 40% discount. Manager is always really nice too especially in the fashion department.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Can be long hours but good pay
Unfortunately has not been a great place to work in my opinion. Management don’t value their stuff & take them for granted & make them work in stressful & at times, unprofessional work environments, making work life very stressful. Any issues/ problems get disregarded & ignored. Mainly part time hours which make living costs difficult. Over all, extreme poor management. Positives are people I have met & friends I have made.
Pros
Friendships
Cons
Poor management
Fenwick has a reputation of prestige. I came wanting to be part of that. What I found was a company that practiced outdated business strategies and kept its employees down with minimum wage for back breaking work thats incredibly stressful. I get paid less than everyone else on my department for the same hours work. Customers even comment on how bad the shop seems. This was before the lockdown. Very dissapointed.
Pros
What little staff they have all work very hard
Cons
painfully stressful shifts, low wage, many customer complaints are justified due to terrible service system
As an autistic and dyslexic person working here I struggled. The workload felt like a lot. You have to clean by yourself; staff canteen, main restaurant customer plates, glasses and utensils. There is also kitchenware and utensils. If you’re running late by 10mins with something you’re delayed till the end of your shift. Some days you can’t even take a break because of this! I had two friends at work that I only saw once a week (I worked 3-4 times a week) and I was bullied by one of the chefs there because he thought I was forming a group or an army against him? I dont understand why I would. Reporting this issue to my manager or HR didn’t help. I felt that they didn’t have much power to do anything. I decided to leave because I got tired of going home crying and hating my life working there. No one cares for you, is what I learnt working there.
The place was okay. Not the busy unless it was holiday season or special sales. The staff are okay, i meet long-life friends there but the mangers are okay, they take life too seriously which can make working there sometimes stressful.
Great place to work management are good and helpful. The staff all pull together as one big team & the atmosphere is just great. I only wish that my job was a permanent one not a christmas temp
the culture is one of as long as you get your work done than you can be a bit more relaxed, but this does require your to put work in at the start in order to have gotten your work done.
Working at Fenwick has been a pleasure. I have made friends for life, and gained experience that has helped me grow in confidence. The management and workplace culture could be improved
It is 14 years since I worked for this company so I feel I can't give an accurate view of what it is like now. I worked in what was called the Banking Room counting the takings. This doesn't exist anymore. I applied for another position in the firm and was shocked to say the least at the then Personnel woman's attitude. She did tell me to keep it quiet but I had got this position then I found out she had given it to someone else. I found that there was a bullying culture among the staff. The best thing about the firm was the Final Salary Pension but they have followed many companies into revoking that. Also the staff discount at 20% was generous and they allowed this on top of sale prices eventually.
I use to work in a warehouse killingworth. I was enjoy my self when I’m doing the job. But I don’t know what happened. My agency told me not to go there anymore. I be honestly I love the job and I wish I can come back pls
Been working there only less than 2 months as a Christmas temporary. Overall great atmosphere, friendly manager and co workers. Pay is not great tho, not the worst too.
Pros
- great atmosphere - friendly management and staff - onsite cantine - employee discount
Cons
- retail hours shifts - salary
  1. Employee reviews