First Home Improvements

First Home Improvements Reviews

United Kingdom45 reviews

Flexible working and decent pay.

I worked here for about 18 months, i only left due to family relocation. They were really flexible when i needed to move shifts due to child care, good salary and holiday package.

Would not reccommend

Got fired because I had personal issues, never got a chance to even explain. Management never thereStaff gossip and spread rumoursOverall just not somewhere I'd reccommend

Cons

Rude staff

Insights into First Home Improvements

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • General feeling of work happiness

Underpaid and toxic atmosphere

Hugely underpaid for the sector and no bonus. From management down, there is a toxic atmosphere and you will be talked about behind your back. Suffer with mental health, that’s your problem and not theirs. The jobs they offer are the easy bit. If you want to give minimal effort and still look busy then go for it.

Very stressful but very rewarding!

The job is very easy once you know what you’re doing but it’s still very difficult because if the customer doesn’t want to buy the products then you don’t get paid however if you do sell then you can earn enough money from 1 sale to cover your bills for a couple of weeks. On average you should sell 3-4 deals a week which can earn around £1500-£2000 per week. It’s very stressful at times but such a fun job and so rewarding once you make those sales!

Boring, repetitive and over worked

Very boring workLots expected of you with little trainingLittle help from managementVery long hours 55+ with no overtime rateRude fittersDeliveries come whenever they like

Cons

Very long hours, too much expected of you

Opportunity to make good money

Very typical old fashioned double glazing sales tactics used but opportunity to make really good money if you're decent at it. Commission only so if you don't get sales you don't get paid.

Average

Stupid system for pay if you leave company. The trainer needs training himself in diversity. No respect for staff what so ever. Management in general very nice.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Waiting around, late working hours, long travel. Horrible trainer.

Fun filled working environment

Excellent training program with increased chances of success in the field. The environment at the office is very relaxed and peers gets chances to sharpen one another.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Late hours

Fun workplace but pay wasn’t good

Fun place to work and the people are really nice. But you get paid on how much sales you do. It’s not an hourly pay, it’s now many appointments you put through with the clients and I didn’t like that as some days I earned nothing.

Pros

Fun place

Cons

Bad pay

Loved it here

Home improvement sales with an exciting emphasis to engage customersHigh pressure, but trained at head office to ensure everyone sings of the same song sheet

Pros

Self employed

Cons

Long hours waiting for leads

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at First Home Improvements?

They don’t pay legal minimum wage

I worked here at 16. They made me work a day unpaid which they called ‘a trial day’ to see if I liked it. The office is filled with young people like me who worked their first day for free. Imagine 10 young people giving 8 free hours a day .... thats 80 hours of free labour making them money.The work is intense ... they expect 18-20 ish calls to be made each hour, so that gives you little time to get to know the team... its intense, sales call after sales call with repeated rejection.You are expected to make 3 appointments a day for them ... you finish at 6 feeling mentally drained.Worst thing is you dont get paid the legal national minimum wage. It is commission only for appointments that get sales, so you could slog your guts out for 40 hours a week and if you get no appointments you get no pay. This is illegal and breaks the minimum wage act. They legally should pay you minimum wage so i’d encourage everyone else who they have taken advantage of to look at taking it to employment tribunal for breach of National Minimum Wage Act and get back what you’re owed.

Pros

Hardens you up to telesales where you can get hung up on and sworn at

Cons

Long hours, intense work so you cant get to know colleagues

The 5 start reviews are fake

I’m here to say how it really was. And I can absolutely confirm that people who have worked here more than one day will never give it a 5 star review with a g*n to their head. I worked 40 hours a week, commission only. You got paid £80 if you got someone interested in a free quote on their windows. Seems easy enough but the call is unexpected, and no one wants to talk to a stranger over the phone about their windows. Right off the bat is seems like a scam. (The job and free quote isn’t a scam obviously but it doesn’t ever sound promising) and then, if you got someone interested, your manager would call them back to book an appointment. 95% of people you got interested now are not interested because they don’t want anyone coming to their house. If by Sheer luck someone booked an appointment, you still don’t get paid until the team psychically speaks to the customer, in person, at their house. It was near impossible. The company used to pay you £50 PER WEEK if they thought you deserved it. So sometimes you didn’t even get paid at all. Long hours, no perks and not even any pay. The company is constantly hiring because 50% of people turn up for their first day and leave on their first break and never come back. Was funny to watch people go “this is not what I signed up for” I really stuck at it for 6 weeks, I made about £420 in 6 weeks. After 240 hours. Disgusting. Couldn’t pay my rent, could barely afford food and the Bus fare. You’d make the company £10K by interesting a customer in a free quote and they decided to purchase new windows, but you’d only see £80 of it? I sat in an -

Pros

I didn’t top myself

Cons

no money at all no matter how hard you worked.

Great company

Good money, good hours, good staff members.Love working here. Made some great friends for life. Lots of different roles available and room to grow...

Really good managers, very motivating

A typical day could be as busy as you like, but the busier the more money is to be made. I learned to deal with rejection with regards to trying to make appointments for sales people. The managers were very inspiring. Work culture was casual dress code but fast paced. Very addictive work as the rewards were your salary

Pros

Great atmosphere/culture

Cons

Not very good money

Great Job

Great place to work at!... I really like the management, Long hours. Brilliant earning potential. Got two great managers, Training is on going with lots of support.

Pros

Great Team, Great manager, Money

Cons

Long Hours

great place to work and enjoyable

I was working there when I was 17, I was working 5 days a week part time and it was a laugh I did work almost everyday for a month but at 17 and earning £400+ a week I didn't really care. I stayed for 4 years then left due to having a child. but overall id give it a shot.

Pros

Good Hours and Pay

Cons

too rushed at times

Disgraceful and appalling

They exploit you. Expected to work so many hours but no minimum wage just commission which could be nothing in a week. Sign contract but not given copy despite repeated requests. Commission suddenly reduced without any proof. SHEER EXPLOITATION *****AVOID*****

Pros

Welcoming

Cons

Low pay and questionable employment practices

Great Place to work

Its a great place to work. I struggle with social interactions and this job has helped me to improve my social skills. i work within the call centre along side an amazing and supportive team. it has helped me to gain so much confidence within myself and other aspects of my life. the pay is great for young people and students. you can also earn a lot of money from here as well. the training is very good and they give you a clear outline of what the job entails.

Pros

lots of breaks, free coffee, friendly

Amazing place to work

I absolutely love working here. I currently work in the call centre within a great team. Everyone is very supportive and have an amazing attitude to work. The rate of pay is very good and very competitive. The training for this role is on going and the manager is always pushing us to do our best. The Call centre is very motivated which is what you need in an office environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is coming in and speaking to people from all walks of life on the phone.

Pros

Pay, Team, Training, Job role

Awesome job

My experience with F1RST was amazing, I would of stayed to work there but had to go due to my newborn son. The working hours aren't ideal for a family man, but, , earning potential is fairly huge. F1RST are working on commission basis, it can be agreed with the mangers to get basic pay also, but it will be fairly low, as earning potential on those deals are Limitless and huge :)

Avoid working here

I don’t think it’s right that they don’t pay you enough for the time and hours you worked commission yeah right!! Only got paid 20.00 for the work and hours I did *AVOID WORKING HERE* KINGS LYNN THEY TREAT YOU LIKE DIRT!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Home Improvements. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement