First UK Bus

First UK Bus Employee Reviews

Was there for just over a year and let’s just say I couldn’t wait to leave the place. At first you are promised the world but you soon realise why everyone in the canteen are moaning about the job. The training was fun mon-fri week of earlys week of lates but as soon as your passed the test it goes down hill quickly. Can’t pick your own holidays, days off normally during the week which helps no one , the pay is quite good considering you just sit on your backside all day. Personally if your an older person with no life then this is probably the job for you but if you enjoy having a life then this is most defiantly not the job for you. Also the weight you put on is a joke unless you look after what your doing.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Everything else
I thoroughly enjoyed my time training with First Bus in Bristol. I started in early December 2020 initially the training was to be carried out part time as I had applied for a part time role. Fortunately I was able to book 3 weeks off from my full time job to undertake the training course as I was advised that would be the course duration. Unfortunately with the Christmas break and Instructors having to take leave the course went over the 3 weeks which meany unfortunately I was unable to continue and had to reluctantly withdraw from the training to go back to my full time job. However the training manager was absolutely brilliant and offered me the opportunity to return again a month later. Again unfortunately due to some family health problems I had to withdraw from the course again. The instructors were absolutely fantastic and I couldn’t recommend First highly enough! At some stage in the future I will apply again as it is my long term ambition to become a bus driver.
Pros
Very high standard of training in a relaxed environment.
Cons
Chopping and changing instructors so no consistency in learning
The Interview was poorly conducted with the operations manager saying I was over qualified, nevertheless I always wanted to drive busses. I left and got the license on my own and went back to which they took me on the spot as they didn't have to spend the money to put me through my varied modules and test.Management's poor, vehicles are poorly maintained but they still expect 100% from the employees. Choosing my holidays was a nightmare although I was told I could on my return.Drivers are lovely, passengers are delightful and spontaneous but the company just don't take care of their own.In conclusion avoid at all cost if you can as they will have you questioning your sanity.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Awful Management and horrendous working conditions
Worked at First Glasgow for 18 years, training was good, taught theory test and how to drive Buses, when passed, taught routes, ticket machine etc, always on going training, CPC, health and safety, they aren't perfct by any means, but get the nut down, do your shift, don't argue with punters, and most importantly, don't run early, the cardinal sin on the Buses, and they'll leave you alone to get on with the job, and lastly, you'll meet some amazing people in the bothy, if you don't like laughing, don't apply lol.
Pros
Staff passes, pay, self confidence
Cons
Not very family friendly shifts
Every day is a shambles. There is no basic organisational structure, and any management who are on site at the depot have zero presence.It is like walking back in time 30 years, the management treat staff with zero respect and in turn the management are despised by the workforce.The depot is falling apart, buses constantly break down, and equipment is not cared for by basic preventive maintenance.The training is dependant on which poor soul has been instructed to provide your training. There is no core competency process in place to ensure everyone is trained to and meets the same competency requirements, this is part of the reason for so much confusion and poor organisation each day.
Pros
Cons
Backwards Management Culture.
Brilliant company to work for, if you treat them well they treat you well. Really good feel around the office when ever you go in and management always have time for you.
Pros
Free travel, good pay, treated with respect
Cons
Early mornings
Well I started as a trainee bus driver with them. Spent three weeks with them, when they decided I am not met their driving standards and basically sacked me on the spot. I was able to pass the theory test for large vehicles, a week before... Then just two days before my practical test were booked they said... "We have a bad news for you! Your driving skills do not met our standards, so you have to leave NOW!" They did not give a second chance to learn to drive buses, and they provided awfully few hours to learn to drive a flippin bus!
Pros
Free travel in their bus network
Cons
To many to list
Its a good job if you keep your head down and don't think for yourself, some things are a bit back to front and youre paid less than some people just because of time served but overall it's decent.
Pros
Free travel and discounted for family
Cons
The amount of time you dont get paid for even though youre doing your duty
Everyday is different not one day is the same. You meet new people everyday of different cultures and backgrounds. Lovely sights and scenery in the summer. Your road knowledge increases so does your driving skills.
Pros
Good weekly pay
Cons
Long duty hours
I passed my test with first back in 2016 and left 2020. It was a great fun place to work, met lots of friends and enjoyed the job and routes were quite easy. As time went on they got new managers, changed the rotas, cut routes and everything went down hill quite fast. The pay is excellent compared to anywhere and i moved upto a rate within 2 years. Its great you get your training money back. Stability is there but the job became tiring and exhausting. You were treat like a number and inhumane. Managers were awful and disrespecting at times. Im glad i moved on. Great place to start though as its a big company all routes are major.
Pros
Salary, canteen
Cons
Managers, hours, stressful
Management terrible they are scared of losing their jobs will constantly lie to you vehicles are poor repairs botched I would report these people to the transport authority . A work life balance is absolutely necessary at this point in time overhaul the rotas so you can get a week of earlys a week of middles and a week of lates allow people to take holidays when they want obviously this would be on a first come first served basis if you need any help sorting this out I am available on a consultancy basis . This means that there probably would be a great deal of management shakeup ie. Management taking on routes when necessary.
Pros
Free passes
Cons
At this point in time everything
Enjoyed the job, but shifts were all over the place, this affected my home life. Sometimes you got abuse off passengers. Wages did not reflect the job and shift patterns.
Jobs OK as long as you keep your head down don't drive stupid, you don't get much of a life, not so good for parents especially single parents hardly see kids so will miss alot while growing up, shift work 1 week earlies and another week of lates starting as early as 3:30 finishing as late as 01:30 body clock messed up and meals different times even after 4 years still not got used to it, weekly pay which is good, can't pick your own holidays there assigned to you so again if you have kids be prepared to miss holidays especially the single parents, uniform provided, can route learn other routes if you want but has to be in your own time unless they want you to, communication is very poor within this company, when accumulating liue days its like pulling teeth trying to use them the whole point of a liue day is use them when you want but with this company your lucky to use them when you want, like any company managers have there favourites, when you get put on a board be prepared to have mostly same routes so if you like the same old boring thing going round and round this will be fine for you, you'll get customers telling you changes before the company does, free travel pass for you, partner and 2 kids which is good thing there has to be something I guess.
Pros
Weekly pay, free travel
Cons
Shift work, to many to list
Worst place ever to work! Management are a bunch of snakes! U will never move on career wise, as management only give higher positions to friends, family or people they are attracted too!
Cons
Company have their favourites a few staff told can’t apply for promotion due to timeframe being with company however then they recruit a supervisor who been their only 4 months. Company benefits of free travel is good however the job and social life doesn’t mix due to the management who do the routers love to stitch you up eg finish at 9.12pm and they want you back in at 5.42am giving you the bear legal minimum of a turnaround. I am leaving this company within next few weeks for their rival bus company bluestar due to better pay and better work life balance available their. If you have any sense apply to bluestar and not first unless you want to be treated as a number and not a person.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Everything.
First in general are a good company to work for , but lack many positives to what could be a great job , the hours can be absolutely shocking ( Unless your face fits & you moan enough ) Can be very challenging with awkward customers etc , when out on the road and experience a problem it’s very rare the phone numbers you call are answered ( sometimes up to 20 mins of continually phoning) , pay can be good if you like long hours , but NOTE if you work your rest day it’s on the same hourly pay as a normal day !!! Not overtime rate ...... buses need better maintenance Like title says if your Face fits you will do well , get the hours to suit you if not then you can end up with shocking hours , very early 1 week ( 5am starts ) The following week lates ( midnight-1am ) finish just no consistency at all Very difficult to plan life etc And rest days are different every single week
Pros
Other drivers
Cons
Hours, poor overtime rate
Jobs easy enough, very steady work and an OK wage. Hours vary every day, luck of the draw whether you get a good or bad shift. You do get a good few days off every so often the only problem is you get about 3 days notice of your shifts, sometimes a week if you're lucky. You can pick you're own annual leave, if you want a specific date you'll need to find someone to swap with you. And good luck if you want to book a holiday for next year because you won't find out your annual leave until the year starts
Pros
Easy work
Cons
No work life balance
First bus,Livingston depot provides me with the worst working experience of my 30 years as a tax payer. From top to bottom they can be described as lazy, arrogant know all's who really should be forced to do hard labour,if not to address their waistlines but at least to alter their repulsively lazy attitudes, hopefully In the near future they will all lose their jobs and may even have to get off their oversized backsides to earn a living.
Cons
Avoid like the plague. Management are rubbish, Bullies & if your face doesn’t fit. Don’t mention Health & Safety because there’s none. So stay well away your life may depend on it due to the fact you maybe working alone. Under staffed
Pros
Free bus travel
Cons
like being bullied at School
Nice job good company , reliable people, customer oriented. Having respect for employees. Good perspective for future and dedicated to safety . Good company
Very stressful job, especially for driving times, you can’t keep up with the time schedules, especially with the late shifts. Some supervisors and managers are dishonest, especially about overtime.
Pros
Nice team of drivers
Cons
Management, some supervisors, late shifts, driving material.
  1. Employee reviews