FirstGroup
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

FirstGroup Employee Reviews

Very good places to work

Fantastic group of people and good work ethics promoted by management.plenty of areas for promotion and opportunities for training using the first university

Decent wages compared to other companies. Driving below standard vehicles on unachievable timetables.

I used to enjoy this job and the company, however over the past couple of years is now just a means to an end. Pays better than other operators. Running times are unachievable, constant abuse from public, no support from management. Vehicles aren't maintained, pressure from management to just keep driving. No inspectors, no functioning union. No time to actually provide any customer service. Keep your head down, don't question tickets, earn your money and get out because unfortunately it's not going to get any better.

Pros

Free bus travel

Cons

No time to complete routes on time. Abuse from customers for being late. Driving unsafe vehicles.

No life

A 8 hour shift will mean your out of the house at least 11 hours, with travelling and breaks! Under appreciated and abused all day by the public. I’ve been a bus driver on and off for years and it’s a horribly stressful job.

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

Pay was good that's about it.

Apart from the pay it was a horrible job. The shifts gave you no home work balance minimum rest between shifts. 7 days straight on bounce for 4 days off. Finish on a late start early in the morning.Very over zealous management anything went wrong such as an accident or complaint you were guilty irrespective.Stressful with traffic and the time tables you had to run to you couldn't even do it in your own car bearing in mind a bus has to stop regularly.Always constantly recruiting due to drivers leaving with stress or sacked by the management.

Pros

Pay above minimum wage

Cons

Shifts long hours over zealous management

Absolutely toxic conpany.

Would not recommend working for worst bus to anyone, zero work life balance ,zero flexibility for child care and a management team that do absolutely nothing to resolve any issues at work. A culture of intimidation, accusations and being judged as guilty of any incident before the full facts or any evidence is provided to prove either way. Wages are prity poor for a large scale company with over time being paid at no additional rate ,long periods of shift patterns giving little time to any sort of life out side of work .

Pros

Cons

To many to write down.

Low moral as management are not in touch with drivers

The management do not care about the drivers they try and take away as much as they can. You work long shifts but they do not pay you for 1hr40 of your day. They are very quick to lay blame on you but never praise you for a job well done. Accidents are always slapped with final written warnings.

Pros

You get good discounts across tge FirstGroup

Cons

Long hours and low pay

Terrible

Terrible company to work for, expect more of you than whats in your job description, give you tasks and apply pressure so you can’t really say no, unsupportive, managers lie through their back teeth so nothing comes back to them… need I continue?! Avoid like the plague there is better TOCs out there! Caused me to become depressed

Cons

Bad management, very unsupported

Poor

nothing but negatives pretty poor, favoritism is rife . If your face fits the sky is the limit. No morale no xmas parties or meal . Unsure about what the other hand is doing .

Pros

free travel on bus but drive a car

Cons

No advancement favouritism is rife.

If you fit in, then you won't have any issues, hrs are all over, they dangle carrots...

Job itself was ok, but the management don't have the conkers to back you up, there's no support for employees, if the face fits and all that, and can be clicky.

Pros

Weekly pay, pension, free travel, learn to drive properly

Cons

Long hrs, no time off, management are as about as useful as herpes

Exciting job to do, but others can drag you down

Some long routes, some long lunches which means some long shifts. If you're lucky and do the job the way the management want you to do it, you'll succeed and go further. Try not to work extra hours for overtime as it's not worth it and you will need a rest from it. Try to have no accidents or management WILL be on your back, they don't support YOU, they aren't your FRIENDS either, so don't get that impression. The drivers can be good and give you all the advice possible, I only wish I'd been given it before choosing my depot. That is the hardest part of the job, the management. The most enjoyable part is driving your routes and picking up customers to get them to their destination and back. Go for it if you think you can handle it, but be aware there is a very high turnover of staff.

Pros

Free travel cards (if you've got the time to use them)

Cons

Very long hours and sometimes long lunches.

Jobs at FirstGroup

See more jobs

Happy place to be.

Lovely place to work, every day brought something different, enjoyed meeting new people and helping staff on the train.a good challenging job.some staff are phenomenal.

Pros

Working with lovely people and proud to work for them.

Cons

Watch for danger hazzards.

Good colleagues but awful management.

Do NOT work for this company. You're just a number easily replaced and stand absolutely no chance of progression unless you're in the managements back pocket and you're treated as if you're on the bottom of their shoes and to add to all this you're expected to drive buses that aren't really fit for purpose. My advice- stay away.

Pros

Good colleagues

Cons

Poor management

great team involvement

deadlines to complete and customer focused in the transport industry,generally learn from other colleagues as Managers are not available. Team spirit makes the job great, as most of the work is repetative.

Pros

commercial Rewards and free bus travel

Cons

no co-active Management involvement.

Poor

No care for the staff at the bottom! No job security! No work life balance only care about the business needs! No progression, no support poor customer service!

Kk

Overall good but very pressurized and management weak and rarely provide feedback . One manager in particular is very snappy and rude On the plus side colleagues are very helpful and share their knowledge

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Very pressurized

This is not a fun place

We have all Heard the well known saying " the Truth and Nothing but the Truth so help me god " and I have just written my review for first Group that was declined due to it saying that I used inappropriate Language. so I took a Snapshot for all out there that so wish to work for first group If you really want to no what I put in the review please feel free to message me on public media

Pros

Cheap Travel and free bus passes

Cons

Poor Management, If your face doesn't fit you wont

Customer Ambassador Bristol Temple Meads

Overall a Fantastic job working with all teams across the business. A lot of chance to think on your feet. Both Platform. station staff and Management are Great to work with. Free travel on the GWR network and final salary pension just a few of the best benefits staff get offered,

Pros

Final salary pension, free travel on the trains

Cons

none identified yet

Stress work place

This is a very stressful and uncomfortable environment, long hours no rewards and shocking management the work place culture is one of beat the child ask questions later

Pros

Cons

Long hours pressured environment

Interesting and skills building place to work

It has been a very interesting and experience building place to work. Every day is never the same day in terms of what I can expect to deal with. People come and go from all walks of life their needs are different and it is up to me and my colleagues to identify what they might want by questioning and being professional.

Excellent workplace

It's of the best work place Wonderful management team. My role is unsocial hours but I enjoy my work and company look after us. Salary is good. No single is the same.

Great place to work with great professionals

FirstGroup in the leading transport operator in the United Kingdom and North America. Job was very exciting, a lot of stake holder management and presentations at C level.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FirstGroup. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement

Compare FirstGroup with

• FirstGroup
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?