FirstPort

FirstPort Employee Reviews

Having worked at FirstPort for 5 years I saw it change from being an ok company to work for one where money mattered and getting every extra pound in was the staple requirement in my opinion. Raising section 20 jobs to get the fee, work required but if no money rather than put job off would raise levies, not in my opinion the best way to manage. Some staff were so poor at their jobs it was ludicrous regional managers who had no clue how to treat people to get the best from them. Senior management would turn a blind eye and not see what was going on. Working 60 hours plus a week to try to keep up with all issues no work life balance. Leaving with no job to go to just to have a break was the best decision I could have made. I could write more but you get the gist I’m sure, All above is my opinion and how I perceived FirstPort
Pros
They employed me
Cons
Long hours, stressful work, no support from senior managers, lack of empathy to staff and customers
Good company that values and looks after its people. Was a pleasure working here training was good. No issues with travel and accommodation when on the road
Pros
Friendly helpful approachable
Cons
I work as a development manager in the retirement sector - having over 7 years work experience with the over 65's has aided in my role, particularly when they've been unwell, experienced risks or any other safeguarding concerns. My main role is to run the development smoothly and rectify any issues on site - one day I could be handling a power cut and the next a burst water tank (these aren't an everyday occurrence though); but providing you keep on top of your work, you don't experience many challenging days like this.The role is very simple and you have a valued team behind you even though you're lone working. You always report back to your Area Manager or Regional Manager - I am grateful to have two very supportive managers.A lot of the work is computer based, but once you've familiarised yourself with the systems in place, the work is a breeze - Our CEO is equally as supportive and will respond to you even if you send a trivial e-mail (I never thought I would have communication with a CEO in my role - sometimes it's like talking to a celebrity, you feel special!) And that's what FirstPort is about - making you feel like a valued member of the team.In April, it will mark my third year working with the company - I honestly cannot see myself working with any other employer and I would strongly recommend FirstPort to anyone looking to development on their skills and excel in their career.
Pros
Accommodation (role dependant), every weekend off, lone working but never feeling alone, the ability to expand on your skills, the chance to take the reins and manage a site
Cons
You can be faced with challenging situations, but remember you have all the support at your fingertips, and no question is too small or silly!
Official response from FirstPort
28 January 2021
What a fantastic review! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience of working for FirstPort. It’s great to hear that you have such supportive managers and equally feel the support from Nigel our CEO as a valued member of the team. Congratulations on your upcoming 3 years’ service with us.
l really enjoy my job, on boarding very efficient.Grasped the company values and high expectations expected.Very rewarding helping older persons each being treated with respect and listening.My manager supports me as and when I ask.Best to network with colleagues in the area and join Linked in.I feel energised in my second career having learnt and developed my customer facing skills in an operational environment.
Pros
managing
Cons
Management usually turn up to work late and then spend time drinking coffee before disappearing to the shops to do shopping and if you have a problem they are not interested and treat you as a trouble maker,and wages are usually wrong
Pros
they employed me
Cons
undermined
The people you work with are great but the company itself isn't very good. The procedures in place hinder you from resolving issues it's all about getting rid of the calls as quickly as possible.
Pros
The staff
Cons
The company
Low salary If you work in one area of the business you will not be recognised for your skills dedication Lack of investment in long term staff Would rather spend their money in graduates who will not stay with company long term High turnover of staff says it all
Pros
Cons
Poor salary no investment in stsff
I worked here for just short of 2 years. I worked above and beyond my role when my line manager became unavailable for personal problems. I was recognised with a letter sent to my home, and then when my line manager left I put my self forward for her role, knowing that I had filled her shoes without being asked and learnt new skills off of my own back. I was put into a 'trainee' role and promised I would move up within a couple of months, this never happened. On top of this members of other departments felt I was too young so actively tried to bully me out of my role, this was mentioned to HR and nothing was done. In the end I left of my own accord to a much better company with a relevant wage to living costs and a much more supportive company.
Very enjoyable. The support functions were available at all levels such as online training for all tasks . Hands on fast paced role .. The team of staff were were easy you work as a unit.
Long hours, unhelpful work colleagues & extremely rude management staffs. Every senior position work colleagues believe they can treat anyone who is in a lower position than them like they’re nothing.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at FirstPort?
bad management. n o job security although linear , you cant approach the managemt, very slow in decision making even when it involves critical issues. management not helpful and no career progression
A typical day would be checking the building inside and out for any problems that may have occurred. I learned to be patient, respectful and listen to what the residents required me to do. Management were always available if I needed any help with any situations. Very fair company working with staff and interacting with residents. The hardest part of the job was when a resident was unable to look after themselves and I had to get the family or next of kin involved. Best part of the job was listening to all the stories the residents would tell you about what they did when they were younger.
At first I was really excited to be working for this company but as time passed I quickly realized that I would never advance in this company. My manager seemed good at first but after awhile he was very dismissive, hands off type of manager. Not very encouraging when it came to progressing. They is lots of learning online and in-person. HR department is none existent hard to contact and also very hands off approach as well.
It was a very enjoyable experience for me where I was required to complete assigned tasks throughout the day whilst staying on the phones. I would always have something to do and I thoroughly enjoyed speaking to internal departments in the office, liaising with property managers as well as contractors and also ensuring that customers were satisfied on the phones. It did get stressful when calls were waiting and team leaders would pressure you to finish the call you were on, or finish wrapping up quicker than usual however this was expected and overall, I enjoyed my experience here very much.
NEVER recommend this workplace . Management rude to staff, tell you off when you go to toilet break complain if you go more than twice in a few hours. expect you to sit in chair and not interact with others, expect you to work without having a break. Very two faced management , if you have any low self esteem , this place will push you over the edge .
Pros
meet nice people other members of staff
Cons
management not professional
Supported 200 users - between 3 buildings Supporting all IT Service desk issues including HP & Lenovo Pcs, laptops, Mitel IP telephony, video conferencing, office printers, database backups /file recovery, Upgrades and rollouts.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Salary - underpaid for role .
In the last 2 years a number of key personnel at HQ departed without the field/site management's knowledge and were not adequately replaced. HR banged the drums of new arrivals on The Loop (intranet) but could not find space to wish departees Good Luck and inform site teams. New incoming site managers often came from different backgrounds without the necessary tools for the job, putting increasing pressure on existing managers as we were expected to fill that void on behalf of others. Stripping back of HQ operational personnel also put site management under pressure in regards to IT and financial provision. Other departments interfered as well leaving site mangers to pick up the pieces and deal with duplication and incorrect allocation of orders etc. A promise made to me by a director and senior manager in regards to a salary review after a significant step up site transfer were not fulfilled and blocked by HR leaving a very bad taste and made me feel undervalued and demotivated.
fantastic company at the start, sadly seem to of lost their way and making thing s more difficult than they need to be. Sadly higher management dont know what really needs to be done on the ground and seem to invent more ways to make the job more complicated
Every shift is by default 12 hours long either from 08 AM to 8PM or from 8PM to 8 AM. This makes work often quite tiring especially when doing multiple shifts in a row. That said pay is good and the actual work you are doing is quite simple and easy to handle.
Updating system and invoicing for Service Charges, Car Parking and Additional Billing. I enjoyed working as part of a team in order to get invoices out within the required timescale. The job was at times pressurised and stressful. I left as I wanted to reduce my hours but this was not possible at FirstPort. The reason I wanted to reduce my hours is so that I am able to help my Mother more.
really great job, loved it until lack of management due to upline’s illness, not FirstPort’s fault. I don’t really want to say anything else at this stage.
Pros
Flexible. Working
Cons
Poor management at times
  1. Employee reviews