FirstPort

FirstPort Job security & advancement reviews

Having worked at FirstPort for 5 years I saw it change from being an ok company to work for one where money mattered and getting every extra pound in was the staple requirement in my opinion. Raising section 20 jobs to get the fee, work required but if no money rather than put job off would raise levies, not in my opinion the best way to manage. Some staff were so poor at their jobs it was ludicrous regional managers who had no clue how to treat people to get the best from them. Senior management would turn a blind eye and not see what was going on. Working 60 hours plus a week to try to keep up with all issues no work life balance. Leaving with no job to go to just to have a break was the best decision I could have made. I could write more but you get the gist I’m sure, All above is my opinion and how I perceived FirstPort
Pros
They employed me
Cons
Long hours, stressful work, no support from senior managers, lack of empathy to staff and customers
I work as a development manager in the retirement sector - having over 7 years work experience with the over 65's has aided in my role, particularly when they've been unwell, experienced risks or any other safeguarding concerns. My main role is to run the development smoothly and rectify any issues on site - one day I could be handling a power cut and the next a burst water tank (these aren't an everyday occurrence though); but providing you keep on top of your work, you don't experience many challenging days like this.The role is very simple and you have a valued team behind you even though you're lone working. You always report back to your Area Manager or Regional Manager - I am grateful to have two very supportive managers.A lot of the work is computer based, but once you've familiarised yourself with the systems in place, the work is a breeze - Our CEO is equally as supportive and will respond to you even if you send a trivial e-mail (I never thought I would have communication with a CEO in my role - sometimes it's like talking to a celebrity, you feel special!) And that's what FirstPort is about - making you feel like a valued member of the team.In April, it will mark my third year working with the company - I honestly cannot see myself working with any other employer and I would strongly recommend FirstPort to anyone looking to development on their skills and excel in their career.
Pros
Accommodation (role dependant), every weekend off, lone working but never feeling alone, the ability to expand on your skills, the chance to take the reins and manage a site
Cons
You can be faced with challenging situations, but remember you have all the support at your fingertips, and no question is too small or silly!
Official response from FirstPort
28 January 2021
What a fantastic review! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience of working for FirstPort. It’s great to hear that you have such supportive managers and equally feel the support from Nigel our CEO as a valued member of the team. Congratulations on your upcoming 3 years’ service with us.
l really enjoy my job, on boarding very efficient.Grasped the company values and high expectations expected.Very rewarding helping older persons each being treated with respect and listening.My manager supports me as and when I ask.Best to network with colleagues in the area and join Linked in.I feel energised in my second career having learnt and developed my customer facing skills in an operational environment.
Pros
managing
Cons
I worked here for just short of 2 years. I worked above and beyond my role when my line manager became unavailable for personal problems. I was recognised with a letter sent to my home, and then when my line manager left I put my self forward for her role, knowing that I had filled her shoes without being asked and learnt new skills off of my own back. I was put into a 'trainee' role and promised I would move up within a couple of months, this never happened. On top of this members of other departments felt I was too young so actively tried to bully me out of my role, this was mentioned to HR and nothing was done. In the end I left of my own accord to a much better company with a relevant wage to living costs and a much more supportive company.
bad management. n o job security although linear , you cant approach the managemt, very slow in decision making even when it involves critical issues. management not helpful and no career progression
At first I was really excited to be working for this company but as time passed I quickly realized that I would never advance in this company. My manager seemed good at first but after awhile he was very dismissive, hands off type of manager. Not very encouraging when it came to progressing. They is lots of learning online and in-person. HR department is none existent hard to contact and also very hands off approach as well.
The company looks amazing on the outside. Their values, their promises of progression and training... but unfortunately only a select few will benefit from this. The reality is that while Firstport boast that customer service is important, its not. Speed is important. Staff are pushed and pushed until mistakes are constantly made. I have never known a company to have at least one team member leave every month since I started. A real shame as this company could be great, but are set in old fashioned way. I would reccomened starting your career here, for 6 months to a year, then move on to a company that values it's staff.
Good company to work for there are so many opportunities to grow in your chosen field or change job roles, there is less supervision from management as each person has their own portfolios which you can easily set you own working partens and schedules.
Is just wasting time call me interwiew told me things but just saying fake things about interviews don't have jobs also here no exist any permanent position
For a period of more than ten years,I worked for First Port as a Relief Development Manager travelling most of the Devon and Cornwall area. I enjoyed my job extremely and on many occasions I received. letters of thanks from Development residents who generally and in the majority were sad to lose me after my relieving period had ended. I would like to return to First Port again as a Relief Development Manager,but regretfully I appear never to have risen beyond the application stage. I previously left First Port as a Relief Development Manager in January 2018. My reasons for leaving were mainly because although I was generally I/T fluent,. I found that on a lot of the Developments that I visited I found that some of the regular Development managers worked differently to me and I found it difficult to maintain the level that I was used to prior to the tablets/ laptops being introduced. I did ask for comprehensive course on this,but it would appear that it was never offered
Pros
I felt that I was an asset to First Port
Cons
Generally very satisfied and able to do the job well
Company with a good vision and goals. Great people to work with and a culture that moves forward. The type of job make it challenging at times but is fulfilling if you give it your all.
This has been very good and reputable company. dealing with property management services where concierge is the direct contact to guests, contractors and clients.
Very hard interview process lots of test and competency interview. Got job first 2 years very happy. Then they took on another company which increased our workloads with no extra time to achieve them and a lot more stress and had to take on extra property managers work as their coordinators too. Was sad to move on for personal reasons after nearly 3 years but would have been ill if had stayed. Work life balance in new company is great and we get overtime pay if we stay to do work or come in early which we didn’t at first port. It gave me good grounding and lots of knowledge and success but glad I left when I did.
This a very dysfunctional organisation where the most senior members of staff have no idea how the company’s being run. Regional managers who in their previous role were caught taking bribes from contractors. This is not a company where you’ll feel welcomed and not a company you can trust to have your best interests But if you are looking to work for a company where a lot of backstabbing and poorly run buildings with lots of complaints from residents then this is the company for you.
Pros
Easy to get away with doing nothing
Cons
Not a good career move
I only worked as a Development Manager but felt supported by the whole company. Whenever I needed help either another manager or a member if the office staff were able to help me. The job can be high pressured but is interesting and fun.
Pros
Support
Cons
Sometimes long hours.
profit driven company. very much driven by senior management and self praise. lacks employee satisfaction and ability to move upwards. retirement sector lacks vision and ability to praise and support the managers on lower levels.
Pros
working with people
Cons
too profit driven
The people are lovely, but the management is poor. There is a mixture of efficient managers and bullying / head in sand types. The company does not appreciate long term employees and is not loyal or respectful to them but expects loyalty and respect from junior 'shop floor' employees. The salaries are low and very little improvement with pay reviews and some employees don't receive an increase for several years even when the economy is improving, yet senior management positions are regularly invented and advertised with large salaries to match. Junior staff are always encouraged to improve themselves but can be sometimes discouraged to go for promotion so they don't get as far as interview stage. Even if they do, they can sometimes not receive any response to an application or no feedback after an interview.
Pros
Good flexi choices and fantastic 'shop floor' level employees.
Cons
Low salaries, which stay low, management bullying, not taken seriously, regular restructuring, resulting in long term experienced knowledgeable employees being made redundant, too many levels of managers.
Firstport are a great company to work for, they offer flexible working hours and are understanding off work/life balance.. they offer a good pension and benefits.
Challenging job but I love it! Every day is different and you learn something new all the time. Great job to learn about property management. No two days are the same.
I enjoyed the role of Development Manager. You work on your own. I would be dealing with residents one minute, finances the next minute. Discussing contracts with local Contractors, to satisfy the needs of the Development. However, it was not what I expected, or indeed what I was led to believe the role was. After a few months, I discovered that a Colleague running a Development half the size of mine and certainly less challenging, was receiving a higher salary than I was.I don't need the money, but thought as a matter of principal, I should raise the matter with HR. They informed me that I had signed a contract and the salary was correct. I then gave 8 weeks notice, for them to find a replacement.
Pros
Meeting different people on a daily basis
Cons
Different salaries for the same work
A constantly changing company ,improving but the change is so rapid it could be seen as it losing its way . Not easy to progress within the company. Hard to mange the day to day job tasks always working longer hours .Work life balance
  1. Job Security & Advancement