FirstPort

FirstPort Management reviews

Having worked at FirstPort for 5 years I saw it change from being an ok company to work for one where money mattered and getting every extra pound in was the staple requirement in my opinion. Raising section 20 jobs to get the fee, work required but if no money rather than put job off would raise levies, not in my opinion the best way to manage. Some staff were so poor at their jobs it was ludicrous regional managers who had no clue how to treat people to get the best from them. Senior management would turn a blind eye and not see what was going on. Working 60 hours plus a week to try to keep up with all issues no work life balance. Leaving with no job to go to just to have a break was the best decision I could have made. I could write more but you get the gist I’m sure, All above is my opinion and how I perceived FirstPort
Pros
They employed me
Cons
Long hours, stressful work, no support from senior managers, lack of empathy to staff and customers
I work as a development manager in the retirement sector - having over 7 years work experience with the over 65's has aided in my role, particularly when they've been unwell, experienced risks or any other safeguarding concerns. My main role is to run the development smoothly and rectify any issues on site - one day I could be handling a power cut and the next a burst water tank (these aren't an everyday occurrence though); but providing you keep on top of your work, you don't experience many challenging days like this.The role is very simple and you have a valued team behind you even though you're lone working. You always report back to your Area Manager or Regional Manager - I am grateful to have two very supportive managers.A lot of the work is computer based, but once you've familiarised yourself with the systems in place, the work is a breeze - Our CEO is equally as supportive and will respond to you even if you send a trivial e-mail (I never thought I would have communication with a CEO in my role - sometimes it's like talking to a celebrity, you feel special!) And that's what FirstPort is about - making you feel like a valued member of the team.In April, it will mark my third year working with the company - I honestly cannot see myself working with any other employer and I would strongly recommend FirstPort to anyone looking to development on their skills and excel in their career.
Pros
Accommodation (role dependant), every weekend off, lone working but never feeling alone, the ability to expand on your skills, the chance to take the reins and manage a site
Cons
You can be faced with challenging situations, but remember you have all the support at your fingertips, and no question is too small or silly!
Official response from FirstPort
28 January 2021
What a fantastic review! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience of working for FirstPort. It’s great to hear that you have such supportive managers and equally feel the support from Nigel our CEO as a valued member of the team. Congratulations on your upcoming 3 years’ service with us.
Management usually turn up to work late and then spend time drinking coffee before disappearing to the shops to do shopping and if you have a problem they are not interested and treat you as a trouble maker,and wages are usually wrong
Pros
they employed me
Cons
undermined
The people you work with are great but the company itself isn't very good. The procedures in place hinder you from resolving issues it's all about getting rid of the calls as quickly as possible.
Pros
The staff
Cons
The company
Long hours, unhelpful work colleagues & extremely rude management staffs. Every senior position work colleagues believe they can treat anyone who is in a lower position than them like they’re nothing.
bad management. n o job security although linear , you cant approach the managemt, very slow in decision making even when it involves critical issues. management not helpful and no career progression
A typical day would be checking the building inside and out for any problems that may have occurred. I learned to be patient, respectful and listen to what the residents required me to do. Management were always available if I needed any help with any situations. Very fair company working with staff and interacting with residents. The hardest part of the job was when a resident was unable to look after themselves and I had to get the family or next of kin involved. Best part of the job was listening to all the stories the residents would tell you about what they did when they were younger.
NEVER recommend this workplace . Management rude to staff, tell you off when you go to toilet break complain if you go more than twice in a few hours. expect you to sit in chair and not interact with others, expect you to work without having a break. Very two faced management , if you have any low self esteem , this place will push you over the edge .
Pros
meet nice people other members of staff
Cons
management not professional
In the last 2 years a number of key personnel at HQ departed without the field/site management's knowledge and were not adequately replaced. HR banged the drums of new arrivals on The Loop (intranet) but could not find space to wish departees Good Luck and inform site teams. New incoming site managers often came from different backgrounds without the necessary tools for the job, putting increasing pressure on existing managers as we were expected to fill that void on behalf of others. Stripping back of HQ operational personnel also put site management under pressure in regards to IT and financial provision. Other departments interfered as well leaving site mangers to pick up the pieces and deal with duplication and incorrect allocation of orders etc. A promise made to me by a director and senior manager in regards to a salary review after a significant step up site transfer were not fulfilled and blocked by HR leaving a very bad taste and made me feel undervalued and demotivated.
fantastic company at the start, sadly seem to of lost their way and making thing s more difficult than they need to be. Sadly higher management dont know what really needs to be done on the ground and seem to invent more ways to make the job more complicated
really great job, loved it until lack of management due to upline’s illness, not FirstPort’s fault. I don’t really want to say anything else at this stage.
Pros
Flexible. Working
Cons
Poor management at times
Good company to work for there are so many opportunities to grow in your chosen field or change job roles, there is less supervision from management as each person has their own portfolios which you can easily set you own working partens and schedules.
typical day at work- as soon as you start your shift you are not allowed to come off phones for at least an hour (if you start at 9, you cant get up and go get coffee or take a break till 10) Team leader turn over very high due to higher management micro managing. Staff turnover very high because of the atmosphere caused by management. Learned alot in my time with the company. Used to love my job till lately where i couldn't stand the thought of going in and having to drag myself out of bed. The values of the company have gone out the window in the last year (F-Friendly, I-Inventive, R-Respectful, S-Skilled, T-Trustworthy) Hardest part was waiting for new people to start and get the relevant knowledge quickly enough and even then management would hound them and micromanage them which caused alot of people to leave. People are lasting a year at max since I started. They really make you take a call, deal with it from start to finish regardless of what it may be within 7 minutes and do wrap up ( call logs/orders) within 3 minutes so basically 10 minutes a call. Then you get an email every week basically throwing your figures in your face saying "don't be afraid to ask, help is available at hand" No point in doing any of their "anonymous" surveys because they can trace your ip address back to you. You don't have much of a say when massive financial matters that will affect you (such as their recent salary review ladder) come about. OTHER THAN THAT, i loved talking to the residents, the contractors and the various property managers. I loved providing customer service - more...
I worked as a Development Manager for 5 years. The job is ok, you are left to do it alone with little support from management because they are stressed out. The salary is dreadful for the level of responsibility you have. I have found residents dead, collapsed, with dementia. They pay minimum wage.
My management thwarts personal growth and doesn't observe official company values or procedures in practice. Extreme, practically unattainable standards lead to staff stress and uninvited conflict. Abusive, bullying and controlling tactics employed to silence attempts to resolve or address matters.
Highly stressful, little or no support from Line Manager. Massive staff turnover. Extremely dated and poor i.t systems, takes weeks to get logged into systems.
Every day is different. Need to be good at multi tasking, organising workload and time management. Everything from Health and Safety checking to administration and budget management. Lone worker so have to learn to think on your feet. Many different people in various forms of communication you can ask for help.
Don’t do it to yourself or your sanity. This company are all for themselves. Management do as they please your basically left on your own until something goes wrong then they will tell you what to do then someone else will come along and tell you that’s wrong and so on.
This place is arwful. The customer service dept is he'll. Your micromanage and watched like a hawk. People call in sick alot because it's not a nice place to work. The managers in the customer care dept are arwful and not supportive at all. There rude and do not care about there staff. The other departments at Firstport are fine but customer service department- horrid!!
Pros
When you finish for the day
Cons
Having to go in to that place.
This has been very good and reputable company. dealing with property management services where concierge is the direct contact to guests, contractors and clients.
At first the company seems like a friendly and approachable company. Maybe it is, however because I made a couple of mistakes and didn't fit the first port mold - things didn't work out. I asked for further training and support, that fell on deaf ears. The job was easy enough, but the management was rubbish.