FirstPort

FirstPort Pay & benefits reviews

Having worked at FirstPort for 5 years I saw it change from being an ok company to work for one where money mattered and getting every extra pound in was the staple requirement in my opinion. Raising section 20 jobs to get the fee, work required but if no money rather than put job off would raise levies, not in my opinion the best way to manage. Some staff were so poor at their jobs it was ludicrous regional managers who had no clue how to treat people to get the best from them. Senior management would turn a blind eye and not see what was going on. Working 60 hours plus a week to try to keep up with all issues no work life balance. Leaving with no job to go to just to have a break was the best decision I could have made. I could write more but you get the gist I’m sure, All above is my opinion and how I perceived FirstPort
Pros
They employed me
Cons
Long hours, stressful work, no support from senior managers, lack of empathy to staff and customers
Low salary If you work in one area of the business you will not be recognised for your skills dedication Lack of investment in long term staff Would rather spend their money in graduates who will not stay with company long term High turnover of staff says it all
Pros
Cons
Poor salary no investment in stsff
Supported 200 users - between 3 buildings Supporting all IT Service desk issues including HP & Lenovo Pcs, laptops, Mitel IP telephony, video conferencing, office printers, database backups /file recovery, Upgrades and rollouts.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Salary - underpaid for role .
In the last 2 years a number of key personnel at HQ departed without the field/site management's knowledge and were not adequately replaced. HR banged the drums of new arrivals on The Loop (intranet) but could not find space to wish departees Good Luck and inform site teams. New incoming site managers often came from different backgrounds without the necessary tools for the job, putting increasing pressure on existing managers as we were expected to fill that void on behalf of others. Stripping back of HQ operational personnel also put site management under pressure in regards to IT and financial provision. Other departments interfered as well leaving site mangers to pick up the pieces and deal with duplication and incorrect allocation of orders etc. A promise made to me by a director and senior manager in regards to a salary review after a significant step up site transfer were not fulfilled and blocked by HR leaving a very bad taste and made me feel undervalued and demotivated.
Every shift is by default 12 hours long either from 08 AM to 8PM or from 8PM to 8 AM. This makes work often quite tiring especially when doing multiple shifts in a row. That said pay is good and the actual work you are doing is quite simple and easy to handle.
typical day at work- as soon as you start your shift you are not allowed to come off phones for at least an hour (if you start at 9, you cant get up and go get coffee or take a break till 10) Team leader turn over very high due to higher management micro managing. Staff turnover very high because of the atmosphere caused by management. Learned alot in my time with the company. Used to love my job till lately where i couldn't stand the thought of going in and having to drag myself out of bed. The values of the company have gone out the window in the last year (F-Friendly, I-Inventive, R-Respectful, S-Skilled, T-Trustworthy) Hardest part was waiting for new people to start and get the relevant knowledge quickly enough and even then management would hound them and micromanage them which caused alot of people to leave. People are lasting a year at max since I started. They really make you take a call, deal with it from start to finish regardless of what it may be within 7 minutes and do wrap up ( call logs/orders) within 3 minutes so basically 10 minutes a call. Then you get an email every week basically throwing your figures in your face saying "don't be afraid to ask, help is available at hand" No point in doing any of their "anonymous" surveys because they can trace your ip address back to you. You don't have much of a say when massive financial matters that will affect you (such as their recent salary review ladder) come about. OTHER THAN THAT, i loved talking to the residents, the contractors and the various property managers. I loved providing customer service - more...
I worked as a Development Manager for 5 years. The job is ok, you are left to do it alone with little support from management because they are stressed out. The salary is dreadful for the level of responsibility you have. I have found residents dead, collapsed, with dementia. They pay minimum wage.
Every day is different. Need to be good at multi tasking, organising workload and time management. Everything from Health and Safety checking to administration and budget management. Lone worker so have to learn to think on your feet. Many different people in various forms of communication you can ask for help.
When they have work they are all over you but when they don't they literally tell you to look elsewhere. As long as you get your timesheet in on time, your money will hit the bank correctly. It is what it is.
Bullying culture, if your face fits... Too much pressure and responsibility put onto staff, and the salary does not match this. Was once a company that cared for employees, but now it's all about ticking boxes.
The pay was not fully balanced with the volume of work undertaken by a scheme accountant
Pros
some parking
Cons
pay
15 yrs i worked for FP i saw lots of changes but if you lead a happy team it was a good place to work. I made lots of memories and friends and i do miss them all. The job is challenging but on the whole rewarding.
Pros
Benefits great people and great teams
Cons
Long hrs lots of travel
Increased work loads. Lack knowing the amount of work already done. Pay doesn't match increased work load. Plus side comes with accommodation. Working with challenges.
Pros
Accommodation with position
Cons
Can be disturbed in night and time off
I have enjoyed my time at FirstPort. They are going through some positive changes and it's an exciting time to be there. The only downside for me is the travel. Travelling to Luton from Hatfield, while straight forward is exceedingly time consuming.
Pros
Really good work culture
Cons
distance
profit driven company. very much driven by senior management and self praise. lacks employee satisfaction and ability to move upwards. retirement sector lacks vision and ability to praise and support the managers on lower levels.
Pros
working with people
Cons
too profit driven
Firstport are a great company to work for, they offer flexible working hours and are understanding off work/life balance.. they offer a good pension and benefits.
I enjoyed the role of Development Manager. You work on your own. I would be dealing with residents one minute, finances the next minute. Discussing contracts with local Contractors, to satisfy the needs of the Development. However, it was not what I expected, or indeed what I was led to believe the role was. After a few months, I discovered that a Colleague running a Development half the size of mine and certainly less challenging, was receiving a higher salary than I was.I don't need the money, but thought as a matter of principal, I should raise the matter with HR. They informed me that I had signed a contract and the salary was correct. I then gave 8 weeks notice, for them to find a replacement.
Pros
Meeting different people on a daily basis
Cons
Different salaries for the same work
To deliver continually the service expected from us by our customers, we rely on a professional, experienced and motivated team. We recognise and value the contribution our people make to our business and we are committed to ensuring they are skilled and equipped to do the best job they can and that they have the opportunity to realise their potiential. We have a high performing, can do culture and encourage learning and development, working with individuals to identify progression opportunities.We have high standards at Firstport and we reward our employees for their dedication and hard work with great benefits, performance-related salary increases and awards when we see people going above and beyond. Our employees are as important to us as our customers.
Pros
supportive, regular hub meetings, continually training
Cons
Too much paperwork, repeated task which is logged already in another area
I enjoyed my time with Firstport the job was interesting as the days were always different with contactors on site people visiting, delivery's area manager visits and so much more what I learned was how so many people can be nice and pleasant and also rude but you treat everybody with a smile and greet all the same in my time I achieved many things how use the company systems to raise job orders, how to order equipment for the on site cleaning staff bring in temporary staff to cover sickness, holidays use all the key coding and logging for door entry to 3 building and so much more I would have liked to become the development manger but I was never given the opportunity as a new property company took over with different ideas of how the sit was going to be managed the hardest part of the job was not having a settled area manager just as you got use to one they were leaving and you had to learn the way of the new manager I would say the most enjoyable part of the was meeting so many people from the many different parts of the world and society
Pros
meeting people
Cons
working every bank holiay and Christmas
This is a none to flexible company whose main aim is to forward a substantial return to their venture capitalist owners. I've nothing against a fair profit to these people but it is at the expense of the workforce who have had little or no salary raises in the last few years. Hard work is expected and there is no flexibility in hours of work. The company is also stuck in the 20 th century regarding it's work clothing policy .Suits and ties are the order for men similar for women.
Pros
Kitchen area
Cons
They think they own you
Company has good benefits but management needs improving. They do not reward their hardworking staff when opportunities arrive, instead they hire from outside the company. Other staff on site and in head office are all very friendly and enjoyable to work with. Everyone I have spoken to is happy to share ideas and information to help you out.