FirstPort

FirstPort Work-life balance reviews

Having worked at FirstPort for 5 years I saw it change from being an ok company to work for one where money mattered and getting every extra pound in was the staple requirement in my opinion. Raising section 20 jobs to get the fee, work required but if no money rather than put job off would raise levies, not in my opinion the best way to manage. Some staff were so poor at their jobs it was ludicrous regional managers who had no clue how to treat people to get the best from them. Senior management would turn a blind eye and not see what was going on. Working 60 hours plus a week to try to keep up with all issues no work life balance. Leaving with no job to go to just to have a break was the best decision I could have made. I could write more but you get the gist I’m sure, All above is my opinion and how I perceived FirstPort
Pros
They employed me
Cons
Long hours, stressful work, no support from senior managers, lack of empathy to staff and customers
Long hours, unhelpful work colleagues & extremely rude management staffs. Every senior position work colleagues believe they can treat anyone who is in a lower position than them like they’re nothing.
fantastic company at the start, sadly seem to of lost their way and making thing s more difficult than they need to be. Sadly higher management dont know what really needs to be done on the ground and seem to invent more ways to make the job more complicated
Every shift is by default 12 hours long either from 08 AM to 8PM or from 8PM to 8 AM. This makes work often quite tiring especially when doing multiple shifts in a row. That said pay is good and the actual work you are doing is quite simple and easy to handle.
The company looks amazing on the outside. Their values, their promises of progression and training... but unfortunately only a select few will benefit from this. The reality is that while Firstport boast that customer service is important, its not. Speed is important. Staff are pushed and pushed until mistakes are constantly made. I have never known a company to have at least one team member leave every month since I started. A real shame as this company could be great, but are set in old fashioned way. I would reccomened starting your career here, for 6 months to a year, then move on to a company that values it's staff.
Good company to work for there are so many opportunities to grow in your chosen field or change job roles, there is less supervision from management as each person has their own portfolios which you can easily set you own working partens and schedules.
typical day at work- as soon as you start your shift you are not allowed to come off phones for at least an hour (if you start at 9, you cant get up and go get coffee or take a break till 10) Team leader turn over very high due to higher management micro managing. Staff turnover very high because of the atmosphere caused by management. Learned alot in my time with the company. Used to love my job till lately where i couldn't stand the thought of going in and having to drag myself out of bed. The values of the company have gone out the window in the last year (F-Friendly, I-Inventive, R-Respectful, S-Skilled, T-Trustworthy) Hardest part was waiting for new people to start and get the relevant knowledge quickly enough and even then management would hound them and micromanage them which caused alot of people to leave. People are lasting a year at max since I started. They really make you take a call, deal with it from start to finish regardless of what it may be within 7 minutes and do wrap up ( call logs/orders) within 3 minutes so basically 10 minutes a call. Then you get an email every week basically throwing your figures in your face saying "don't be afraid to ask, help is available at hand" No point in doing any of their "anonymous" surveys because they can trace your ip address back to you. You don't have much of a say when massive financial matters that will affect you (such as their recent salary review ladder) come about. OTHER THAN THAT, i loved talking to the residents, the contractors and the various property managers. I loved providing customer service - more...
Company with a good vision and goals. Great people to work with and a culture that moves forward. The type of job make it challenging at times but is fulfilling if you give it your all.
Very hard interview process lots of test and competency interview. Got job first 2 years very happy. Then they took on another company which increased our workloads with no extra time to achieve them and a lot more stress and had to take on extra property managers work as their coordinators too. Was sad to move on for personal reasons after nearly 3 years but would have been ill if had stayed. Work life balance in new company is great and we get overtime pay if we stay to do work or come in early which we didn’t at first port. It gave me good grounding and lots of knowledge and success but glad I left when I did.
Bullying culture, if your face fits... Too much pressure and responsibility put onto staff, and the salary does not match this. Was once a company that cared for employees, but now it's all about ticking boxes.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at FirstPort?
At first the company seems like a friendly and approachable company. Maybe it is, however because I made a couple of mistakes and didn't fit the first port mold - things didn't work out. I asked for further training and support, that fell on deaf ears. The job was easy enough, but the management was rubbish.
This a very dysfunctional organisation where the most senior members of staff have no idea how the company’s being run. Regional managers who in their previous role were caught taking bribes from contractors. This is not a company where you’ll feel welcomed and not a company you can trust to have your best interests But if you are looking to work for a company where a lot of backstabbing and poorly run buildings with lots of complaints from residents then this is the company for you.
Pros
Easy to get away with doing nothing
Cons
Not a good career move
I only worked as a Development Manager but felt supported by the whole company. Whenever I needed help either another manager or a member if the office staff were able to help me. The job can be high pressured but is interesting and fun.
Pros
Support
Cons
Sometimes long hours.
I have enjoyed my time at FirstPort. They are going through some positive changes and it's an exciting time to be there. The only downside for me is the travel. Travelling to Luton from Hatfield, while straight forward is exceedingly time consuming.
Pros
Really good work culture
Cons
distance
Firstport are a great company to work for, they offer flexible working hours and are understanding off work/life balance.. they offer a good pension and benefits.
A constantly changing company ,improving but the change is so rapid it could be seen as it losing its way . Not easy to progress within the company. Hard to mange the day to day job tasks always working longer hours .Work life balance
l work in a very friendly environment and I make sure all my task are finished before the end of the day. l have experience in handling complaints,solving conflicts and issues with an ability to persuade individuals, with my experience have learnt how to interact with customers on behalf of the company .The most enjoyable part of my job is putting smiles on my customers faces
Pros
Not applicable
Cons
Although you have job security there isn't much space for advancement. All days are different, you could be helping a resident, making phone calls, monitor contractors work, or checking the budget. You have the occasional emergency call, but fortunately most of the times ends alright.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not much space for advancement
There is no real inbetween with firstport, it is either absolutely amazing or it's the job you've hated the most. The management team are incredible 90% of the time but when they're under pressure, the way you feel goes out of the window and it is all about targets.
Fast paced business with a vision to maintain market leadership. Good people working who genuinely want to make a difference. Most enjoyed dealing with the new challenges, and sense of achievement in various projects.
Pros
Great people within the business
Company has good benefits but management needs improving. They do not reward their hardworking staff when opportunities arrive, instead they hire from outside the company. Other staff on site and in head office are all very friendly and enjoyable to work with. Everyone I have spoken to is happy to share ideas and information to help you out.