Flannels
Happiness score is 41 out of 100

Flannels Employee Reviews

United Kingdom73 reviews

storestaffshiftcustomertrainingmanagerlonghour

Unfair pay and competitive environment

The pay is not competitive what so ever. The discounts may be good but the pay is below industry standard. Being an individual commission based role, all employees were very competitive with commission. Management team was fine. Breaks were also very short.

Pros

Discount, Casual Dress

Cons

Short Breaks, Low Pay

Wouldn’t recommend

I worked at flannels for just over a year. 95% of my colleagues were the nicest people I’ve ever met. However that 5% (being management) were not. The job itself is decent and not difficult, however the management do not have what it takes to be managers and will not lose a wink of sleep sacking and replacing every member of staff for showing any sign of personality. Id say the only criteria you actually need to meet is being willing to work all day every day for minimum wage with short unpaid breaks, unless obviously they don’t like you and give you one 4 hour shift a week. happy job searching :) also don’t be fooled by the 0hr contract… this just means they have all the benefits allowing them to put you in as little or often as they like without consulting you, however you will still need to “request” your birthday off.

Pros

Commission

Insights into Flannels

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Avoid at all costs

Managers are a joke they pick favourites always on your case about the smallest things they never do their job there always standing there and gossiping and never help

dont do it to yourself

Honestly the worst job ever, most of my 8 hour shift (15 minute break) was spent trying not to cry and trying to fit in.the most isolated i have ever feltthe pay is terrible, don't do it

Pros

nothing

Cons

long hours, bad pay, rude management

Don’t recommend

Little to none employee benefits, poor pay and effort goes unnoticed and unappreciated. Managers just complain and pick at staff faults and very rarely praise, despite the management team being laughably poor at their own jobs. They pick favourites and arent understanding

Poor pay, would not recommended to anyone

I had an on-sight interview which was very basic. I just got asked the usual questions and it lasted about 10 minutes. I got an email saying I received the job in less than a week which I was happy about. Once I got there, I was trained by someone working there for only a few months. We kept on getting interrupted so I barely learnt anything and was expected to go off alone on my first day. Most days are extremely boring and you're standing there for hours just checking clothes with no breaks in between. It's a 0-hour contract so you could be working randomly and doing the same thing over again. I was not trained to use the till so I'm stuck in the same area all day, It's even worse when there is literally no one in the shop, yet there are so many staff in for no reason. Most times I am made to work late yet they know I have to take the bus which takes an hour to get me home. The management clearly has favouritism and my manager never replies to my messages and ignores me throughout the day. I would not recommend it. x

Pros

Cons

underpaid, no breaks, very boring.

Avoid at all costs

You are on a zero hours contract and the pay is very minimum for the work you are expected to do. The managers stand around doing absolutely nothing barking out orders all day. The management do not care at all about there staff and always find something to shout about they are never grateful for all the hard work that you put in. I have never worked in such an unprofessional environment in all my life!

Pros

staff discount

Cons

not treated with respect

Commission is shared with all other employees which makes it unfair and good work is not recognised.

a typical day at work would be cleaning up and making sure customers are satisfied but a lot of eye keeping on "suspicious" customers. Can sometimes be really slow and sometimes no time to breath because we are understaffed. Team is overall ok but managers have favourites. Cannot say that this applies to all the stores I am sure the other ones are well managed and professional.

Cons

short lunch breaks, zero hour contracts, shared commission, .

Very good

Very friendly environment and kind and supportive management team as well. I really enjoyed working here and would love to return if I find myself unemployed again

A good role

A decent place to work, good benefits in uniform allowance, discount and commission. High standard expected but still a good atmosphere. Worst part was the 0 hour contract.

Okay for part time

Was an okay place for part time work, flexible hours. Could be stressful at times especially when busy. Pay is minimum wage and commission is split so not that great

Decent Place to work, but not for a long-term job

Job is pretty simple, the environment can sometimes be a little stressful but overall decent job. Management is poor, expect a lot from staff despite poor overall management of the business. Staff are nice.

Worst place ever

Treat employees like real bad. Make you clean up like servants . Not good pay. Worst company ever also sell fakes. So don’t ever buy from there!!! Mangers think they’re good but don’t know and treat you awful Expect you do everything straightaway.

Fun workplace.

Fun place to work and really helped with college as I was studying makeup at the time. Very little pay for the hours you work however I enjoyed my time working there.

Avoid like the plague!

Long hours, unfair environment, hostile managers, not included in decision making, you're treated like you don't matter. YOU have to follow and watch out for "dodgy" people while serving customers, if someone steals something from your section it's your problem. HORRIBLE JOB!! As it's owned by Sportsdirect, it's the type of mentality you get. Far from luxury in every sense of the word

Not treated fairly

Not treated fairly, certain individuals have priorities just because they are liked highly by the line manager, which is unfair for new Employees as the relationship won’t be there to start with.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Not treated with respect

Excellent

Love it, family friendly orientated business,I have learnt alot during my time with them. I will be coming back. Just taking a career brake to go uni.

Long shift, hectic environment, self-righteous mangers

At first impression my interview was very basic, and the manager looked at me, and basically hired me after a very short interview. Obviously I was ecstatic, because it was during my first year of A-levels and I was eager to have some financial independance. However when it came to my induction I had no training from a manager, instead I had a 18-19 year old do the bare minimum showing me how to talk into the radio, which all colleagues where required to have at all times in each department, in order to communicate to the stock room if a customer wanted to try clothing on in a different size et. ironically I could never find one that was not broken or low in battery, which was because all of the older colleges that had been there longer would have and when i would use them to communicate to the stockroom no one wold respond ect. throughout working there were double standards, while working during the christmas holidays I was kept my manager did not let me leave my shift at 9pm instead I had to refold, do 'standards' until 10pm could not drive nor was offered a lift so I had to walk 1.5 miles to the train station because all of the busses had stopped going. Additionally lots of the other coworkers would talk about all of the new employees, this is because I heard it when I was clearing up my area. there were lots of favorites making it a negative, and competitive workspace. which I have not experienced working at other places. My best advice is to avoid working here at all costs!!!

Pros

nothing

Cons

double standard, low pay rate, Long hours

Awful pay and terrible management

In my interview they made it sound like we were going to be working for one of the best businesses in the world. However after only being there 3 weeks, it’s £7 an hour, commission is 0.5% (for example if you make £1000 sale you get £5 in return), you get 50% off “uniform” but they are very strict with what you can buy. Management have been caught out saying they aren’t going to give people any hours at all to try and force them out as they over hired too many staff. I know this as I overheard a conversation between 3 managers. The store is underperforming drastically and they are cutting staff already after a month of opening. It is a 0 hour contract and I’d say about 60-70% of staff get around 4-8 hours a week if you’re lucky. This is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for.

Terrible pay, and unreliable

Since you’re given a zero hour contract, I wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone that actually wants to work. Personally, I’ve been given ZERO shifts in the last 6 weeks and I know lots of others that have had the same struggle. Obviously, having no income just isn’t sustainable.When you do (by some miracle) get a shift, the pay is awful and the shifts are extremely boring, since the store is quiet and there are too many staff. When you apply you’re promised great commission but the reality of this is not good (I got £5 commission per month).

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Barely any hours offered, management, boring shifts, pay, poor commission, minimum breaks

Worst place to work

They have the worst management team I’ve ever come across. The store is a chaotic mess. Management talk to the staff like rubbish and treat their staff as disposable people. Expect long hours and full time commitment whilst keeping everyone on a 0hour contact, it’s a problem for them when you don’t commit to full time hours although that’s not in your contract. Would never work in that store, I have worked in other flannels which have a great team that actually know what they’re doing, how to manage and treat staff with basic respect .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flannels. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement