G4S

G4S Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,764 reviews

Found 1,764 reviews matching the searchSee all 16,015 reviews

Good guards

Ok if a permanent guard,if your an area officer then expect to pay for parking at ncp's ,a third back of your fuel costs,and completely messed about every week,also trying to book a holiday is a joke,I gave 7 month's notice and still declined

Pros

Good working conditions

Cons

Poor wages

Boring repedative ,treated like a number.

If you want a job with no promotion prospects ,long hours/ shifts , with managers that dont care about staff as long as the shift is covered.They will take anybody with an sia badge , so the calibre of guards dont matter, and it shows in their attitude to their work., prefering to play on their phones or tablets when not checked or supervised.Yes, this is the career for you, if you cant get a real job!

Pros

Uniform provided.

Cons

Many!

Insights into G4S

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Friends and Family

Unless you are a friend or a family member of someone who already works there unfortunately you will not progress in your career or be given any opportunities to. Very clicky place to work.

Sstressful Toxic management bulling

systematic bully culture - staff unaware that it is happening.Setup for failure if they want to get rid of you to save face other poor management decision making

Maybe premium name, not premium employers

Removing where I worked, whilst working for G4S, myself and the team I worked with had zero support, from assistant area managers upward. No query took less then three weeks to get a response. The client was allowed to alter and add, well outside of the scope of contracted obligations, leading all team members to have a serious contemplation, on both career and lifestyle. This would of cheekily added up to maybe tens of thousands for free. Client was a bully, and G4S up to the regional level we’re pretty spineless. I have left, and happily never looking back. I’ve heard some others have the opposing experience. I advise to approach with caution, if you don’t like being left in the dark fending the client off yourself.

Pros

Pros are hard to find, personally. Tea and coffee I suppose.

Cons

Management do not show any form of care

For a temp role it was good

Was inducted well and supported throughout my first weeks. Considering it was a temp well I was treated as if I was a permanent employee which was a nice change.

Shirt fillers

This company is full of dead wood and shirt fillers,they need to lower the age and get some young blood in.I know of one excellent guard who left for a new challenge then tried to come back and was rejected,god knows why because the calibre of guards is garbage!

Pros

Going home

Cons

Spineless colleagues

Stressful

If your looking for work/life balance this job isn't for you, very early starts & very late finished are the norm. Don't even think about quoting the 11 hours between shifts rule or you wont last long, expect to be given vehicles & equipment that are way past there sell by date. Other drivers are helpful but management only care about runs being completed...no matter how many drop off's & pick up's you have!

Pros

Occasional free coffee

Cons

Zero work life balance

Good job being an ACA

Bad management never support you they say the door is always open ( lie ) bad pay if your short in your wages takes them months to sort out you have to keep chasing them no support what so ever

Bad employers

Worked in same job nearly 16yrs tupe over to g4s management dont care pay rubbish just a body no chance of progression training nonexistent holidays are just the basic

Pros

You get to go home

Cons

Too many

Great

Been with the company coming up2 6 years now and have not had many issues with them. Due to slipped discs in my back I changed my contract to a 0hr contract and G4s have had no issues with it as I am still on the DWP contract working when I want choosing my own days.

Good side job

If this job ain’t your main source of income then you’re fine. It’s just a good second job you can do as of when you are available. A lot of events jobs.

Pros

Nice work culture

Cons

Not enough work

Not much

You are needed when you are needed. So no thanks.Work only available on seasonal basis.Had a happy while I was with them.Enjoy the work while you're there.

Pros

Some work

Cons

Not valued as an employee.

Works here for 5 years, in that time I have been completely under valued, and over worked. Would never recommend even to work at enemy, caused me so much stress I had to be signed off.

Slow pace

My role was ARO (Area relief officer)So you would mostly cover your colleagues when they are off.6 months probationary period,after that you can apply for permanent position in the DWP, I have met very nice people including DWP staff and G4S team members.It's ideal for young people with less responsibility or near retirement seniors.(Traveling over 20 miles would be paid for)

Good work place, nightmare colleagues

Excellent workplace and work facilities but extremely bad and mad work colleagues. Some colleagues enforcing strike and ordering the rest to join-in just for sake of settling very childish squabbles

Pros

Good facilities, adequate storage

Cons

Office politics and childish behaviour, sometimes aggressive behaviour by G4S colleagues

Typical Out Sourcing Copany

Cut hourly rate and working hours during contractManagement take little responsibility whilst expecting lots from employeeFace fits cultureWorked with good team

Fun and variety of gigs

Worked for year and had a lot of fun. They have a lot gigs so not much to complain about. There are a few questionable people but you can find them anywhere tbh

Diverse and able to progress

Great colleagues, diversity in call types. Very fast paced with pressure on call taking to achieve targets. Opportunities to progress into management

Stale

The company doesn't have much in terms of career opportunities, they pay well but, the work gets a little samey. I haven't felt there's much help in times of needing it or, if you have a complaint.

Caused a mental breakdown

If you work here, please know that 90% of the staff are two faced and it is better to keep yourself to yourself. The work environment itself is awful and I wouldn’t wish the stress on my worst enemy. The management never listened and were a joke. The money almost made it worth it but that was the only good thing about the whole job. With the money you earn per hour it is really not worth it however they often offer enhancements due to always being short staffed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement