GAIL's Bakery
Happiness score is 37 out of 100

GAIL's Bakery Employee Reviews

United Kingdom128 reviews

coffeefoodfreeshopshiftstaffrudelong

Stressful workplace with not much help.

A lot of the time in GAIL's it tends to get quite packed and there's not much time to do anything other than serve customers. You'll constantly get told to keep orders under 2 minutes and if you don't you're failing their reputation at the store. Not to mention the fact that if you apply for the Barista role, you will be constantly washing dishes out the back and serving customers (Team Member's role).

A fun place to work with good advancement

Joined as a manger Enjoyed my time at Gail’s and made some good connections was enjoyable to be part of a growing brand opening new stores quite often.Was lots of opportunities to grow with the company

Insights into GAIL's Bakery

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction

Over work and bad payment

I start there and is was ok but soon start to be bad and more bad evryday ...i work at gospel Oak side and the play ws so busy evry time because I'd next yo a park and they never have enough people on, the manager was ok at first and she work hard next to us but when she left evryting gone down hill and they was asking so much and we was in so much stress ...and I end up to work for 2 or 3 people at the time...constant change of people was another thing..we start to train and in few weeks they was living because it was to bad ...

Horrible place to work.

Too stressful , far to long hours. You are meant to do the work of 2-3 people in the same shift. Extremely rude management with unrealistic expectations. No work life balance as you always need to stay past your shift to get things finished due to lack of trained staff. Awful training. They expect you to watch 1-2 times and then be some professional. DO NOT WORK HERE

Pros

Cons

Everything.

Avoid it at all costs...

The management creates a very toxic environment... long hours, no progression whatsoever, no work-life balance, Rotas constantly changing, rude management.

Pros

Free coffee and food

Cons

Long hours, always short staffed, no work-Life balance at all

Stressful

Good for part time work but stressful environment and very short breaks, poor training, very draining and little reward. Free food on shift and good discount is a plus.

Fun place to work

Very fun place to work, lovely team and friendly environment. Could be stressful during peak times but the team all worked together to make it enjoyable.

Bad management who gives impossible tasks for minimum wage

- bad payment for what they ask you to do- no experienced manager who constantly put pressure on teams even thou they do good;- promotion system is based on preference, if you play the puppet role for him.- HR non existent;

They are totally the opposite of who they said they are

Gail’s pretends that they are against of things such as modern slavery, but at work it’s always so busy, and so short of staff (wondering why), that you don’t even get the chance to drink water.. if you stay more than 2 minutes at toilet you’re already getting into troubles. They want you to put your phone away while at work, but don’t even offer you a locker, or a cctv monitored place where you can safely leave it. It’s a prison. I can continue, but I should better focus on better jobs, which I strongly recommend you to do as well!

Fair employer, lovely colleagues and good training.

I have worked in hospitality a long time, Back of House. I have found moving to GAILs a positive experience.This company stands out to me because of its commitment to training up all employees regardless of past experience. Training is accessible and everyone goes through the same program. It's done in person, online and at their academy. What this means is that people are hired based on their attitude. It really does seem to result in a very fair, open and collaborative work place. I have huge respect for my managers & turned down other job offers because I know I can trust this current workplace! I feel that I do not have to compete with colleagues but that I am there to help them move forward to. There is lots off communication from upper management and it is very clear the standards I am expected to meet and frequent auditing means I feel that if I work well it will be acknowledged. I have been really impressed with the pay and the maternity and paternity packages (including grand parental leave). I have considered moving to a job where I have the chance to be more creative on a day to day basis, but have stayed with this company as I value the way people are treated there. I feel this job would be fantastic if you are wanting to enter the food industry, particularly BOH. Aspects of this job are hard! Extremely early starts (it's a bakery!) and breaks are limited. Rotas are not two weeks in advance and coffee and cake chats are not frequent.

Do not recommend. It's a good starting job. Honestly, if you're looking for uni work or a part time job to keep you going then this is probably a okay choice but you might get roped into doing more than full time without much consideration by management but overall it's an okay place to work

Pros

friendly environment

Cons

long hours, no breaks, taking coffee too seriously

Alright place to work

It's a good starting job. Honestly, if you're looking for uni work or a part time job to keep you going then this is probably a okay choice but you might get roped into doing more than full time without much consideration by management but overall it's an okay place to work.

Pros

Free food, nice co workers

Cons

Management can be iffy but that's my opinion

Awful!

I worked here for a few months and found this shop horrific place to work.As a barista I done more on the shop floor and washing up dishes than making coffee and always managed to get kicked off the coffee machines for someone who is more "trained". I would highly recommend not being employed by this company!

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Long hours, underpaid, not enough break, no staff room, rude staff, rubbish management

Nice co-workers but no work-life balance

My co-workers are nice. However, it is hard to choose a specific day or period for off-days or holidays due to staff shortage.

Stressful and a hard work place

The management was terrible, the manager was hardly ever in, your work schedule was all over the place and got changed so many times even on the day, all two faced about each other, they have double standards and I wouldn’t want to work there ever again.

Avoid. Especially if you have mental health/disabilities

Avoid working here. You can tell the managers all you want about your health and they won't care. Got to make an appointment? No, forget it. Can't do a shift and let them know way ahead of time? No, you can't put your health or family before work. But they're quick to change shifts to suit everyone else. You get talked down to, you have to know everything in 2 weeks or they'll moan at you for "not knowing" and don't ask for help as they'll tell you to take time to read the board or book, then complain that you're behind. They pick and choose who they like and if you are any bit different and don't fit the perfect GAIL's mould, then you will get singled out. Your breaks are only 20 mins, regardless of doing 4 or 8 hours, and even then, you feel like you should rush. And forget about thinking of reducing hours for your health. They won't allow it and will lie when you confront them about it. The only good thing about this place is that you get free hot drinks and a couple free pastries. Overall, just avoid if you value your sanity. You will not be respected here. HR are also very slow to get back if you complain.

Pros

Free hot drinks. Free pastries.

Cons

Uncaring, Rude, Not great for anyone with a disability, Discriminative and abusive behaviour.

Job description, interview, standards, trainings, all of this are a fantasy comparing to the actual experience.

Must be one of the poorest standards of hygiene, customer experience, and teamwork I've ever encountered in my life. The theory doesn't match with the practice at all. None of these bakeries have a KP or a cleaning team, everyone from Team Member to Barista, Head Barista, Team Leader are washing toilets, deep cleaning them, and washing the front of house dishes and the kitchen equipment using a glasswasher, the main activity is CLEANING which creates fatigue and doesn't match up with the job description or the interview. Every single member of the team complains about this fact and nobody cares about the job, everyone is low motivated. The training it's just to prove they have measures in place, actually, most of the staff members have no clue about what they are doing there and it's a high risk to the customer health and their safety. The Management is inexperienced, not trained, they are literally useless as they have no leadership skills, nor knowledge of management. All the products are overcooked or undercooked, consistency 0, high prices for low product value, a huge volume of food going to bin every day, no sustainability or ethics. It's all a fake image from being an employee to being a customer. You get 20 minutes to break only, I've never had this short break in my life, and it's definitely the worst experience. PLEASE AVOID THIS JOB!

Fair workplace

Gails is a fair work place.Everybody starts on minimum wage normally and you have to "work yourself in". If you are good, the salary is competitive with any other place in hospitality.

Absolute horror show of a place to work

I applied for the Barista position as in the job advert it seemed appealing - 35 hours per week over 4/5 days, full training provided, a friendly team and good work/life balance.I can categorically say this is not accurate in the slightest. They expect you to work so many more hours then you are rota'd to and make you feel bad if you are unable to. You're expected to stand on your feet for 8/9 hours a day with only a 20 minute break which is not enough at all.There is ZERO training. As a Barista I spend more time washing up dirty dishes and the staff who have worked there for 1+ years seem to think they can talk down to you.If you want a workplace that genuinely cares about their staffs well being and mental health then this is not the place.

Training and Working

When working at Gail’s as team member the job was fairly easy, all you really had to do was get the customers order, pack deliveroo orders, make tea and slice bread. However, I would say training could be much better. When I first started it was more of a learn along the way kind of thing. In addition, learn what’s in the coffees etc.

Pros

Free food during shift, 40% Discount

Cons

Shift changes, some of management

Interesting.

Nice food and coffee. Great team, low pay.Overtime not paid. Met some really nice people and made some contacts. Didn’t feel looked after during pandemic.

Pros

Free coffee and food

Cons

No perks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAIL's Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement