Galgorm Collection

Working at Galgorm Collection: 25 Reviews

United Kingdom25 reviews

Fast paced with high responsibility. Good perks

Fast paced work environment working 45-65 hours per week. Unfortunately good staff are not appreciated enough, reflected in both the pay and working hours set for each individual. High standard of performance expected at all times, which I enjoyed carrying out. The perks and location of the job are a huge benefit and something that I thought I was going to miss once I left. Free food and spa was most enjoyed, however the perks are no use if you work to much to ever be able to enjoy them. Management is questionable in some areas, however most managers & assistants are kind people and easy to work alongside

Fast paced workplace

Good rate of pay and benefits provided in a fast paced work environment, however management can be a touch hit or miss. Work life balance not great either, however holidays and days off were easy enough to attain.

Insights into Galgorm Collection

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Inclusive work environment

People met during everyday work life were great, higher management are disrespectful and lie to cover themselves

Mostly enjoyed working here, until I had to have a "meeting" with higher management. Head of Hotel Operations and Head of HR, I was spoken to like they were scolding a six year old. Then when they made ridiculous demands (like requiring I leave for work over an hour before my shift started, when it is a 20 minutes journey) and I requested it in writing, they just lied and said that that wasn't what they said.Sorry, but demanding anyone to leave over 40 minutes extra for a 20 minute journey and then not paying them for the extra time is pathetic, nevermind illegal as it was a minimum wage job.

Pros

Sometimes get a free sandwich at lunch, Pleasent people around you (other workers and direct management)

Cons

Higher management are pathetic liars who make completely unreasonable demands

Progressive Company & Encouraging Environment

I joined Galgorm with the hope of progressing my career within a reputable company. I've found that management place a great emphasis on innovation and I feel they encourage employees to bring new ideas to the table and take ownership of seeing these through to fruition. No two days are the same which keeps the job exciting and challenging.

Pros

Supportive colleagues

Cons

Commute

Wouldn’t recommend unless desperate

Awful place to work for. They expect perfection on your first shift whenever it’s such a busy environment with so much going on. The training you get is inadequate and management is unhelpful.

Fabulous

I worked here for 2 years and loved every minute of it. I would love to work here again some day as the management are amazing and the pay is very good.

Pros

Good work culture

Over booked

You were expected to greet your guest, have a consultation, choose the appropriate products, leave the room to let the client undress and get on the bed, then perform the 60 minute massage, leave the room again to let the client get dressed and back off the bed, recommend retail products, close a sale and take the client back to the relaxation area all in 60 minutes. Oh and then change the sheets for the next client. You do the math. When the issues were brought up with management, solutions were provided for a short period of time then not after long, clients would request appointments and they were squeezed in again. It’s not pleasant for the guest and rather stressful for the therapist.

Fast-paced

Very intense when first starting out but shifts are repetitive and soon, employees get the hang of how best to allocate their time. The first night was difficult as I was given no training but soon learnt my way around.

Terrible Management

Terrible Management seen through the high turn over of staff. Every other day you would witness staff in tears through the stress. No rotating roster. Management are always phoning you on your day off. Start pay is pathetic. Terrible computer booking systems. Customers walk away without paying then you have to chase them up.

Pros

Incentives

Cons

Rude management

good working atmosphere, terrible work conditions

The atmosphere was very good as in you got to have fun with all the employees and customers but when it came to working it was a bit more difficult, if you wouldve been counted as a "good member" you wouldnt really have a say in what shifts you were given, you worked where you were needed which during busy periods could've been upwards of 60 hours a week, there would've been several 16plus hour shifts in a week where you were only given one half an hour break and it wouldve usually been in the first 5 hours between lunch shift finishing and setting up for dinner.

Pros

Free over night stay in the hotel after 6 months service

Cons

Very long hours and no breaks for staff

Awful place to work. Rubbish wages

Awful place to work. Expect u to put everything into the job when they pay minimum wage. I worked in the spa and staff never stay long. U have to measure the products you use st start and end of the day to make sure u don’t use too much and call themselves a 5* spa. Worked in far better spas.

Pros

Cons

Rubbish wages, long hours, no breaks some days

High-pressure but interesting environment

Entails very long hours in a stressful environment, but if you are a hard worker you can enjoy the high-pressure atmosphere and high-energy nature of the work.

Wonderful Team & Opportunities

Galgorm Resort & Spa is an extremely rewarding workplace with lots of opportunities for internal progression and training & development. The most enjoyable part of the job is the amazing employee benefits. I get to use the amazing Thermal Village and received a complimentary staff overnight stay voucher after 6 months of service!

Pros

Spa, Gym & Staff Canteen

Cons

Friends asking for discounts alot!

Progressive Company

My Background is not hospitality based but I am so pleased to have made the Industry move. It is a very faced paced, high performance environment, you do need to be quite adaptable with a view to challenging yourself but the opportunities are there for personal development & progression. It is a great team and every day is different. Communication has improved greatly even in the time I have been with the company and there is a strong focus on a shared company vision.

Pros

Progression, flexible working hours

Cons

High guest expectations, can be difficult on occasion

I have already done this, save it next time

Please read the above description. I am not the kind of person that gets in the habit of doing things more than is necessary and I'm rather irritated.

Galgorm Resort & Spa

Very professional place to work and great place to start a career in hospitality as there is plenty of opportunity to move between departments and progress with the chance to achieve catering qualifications while you work.

Love my job!

I started here 4 years ago and I still love coming to work. The fast paced environment can be tricky at times but with everyone in the team working so well together any issues can be easily sorted. Managers and HR are always there to provide any help and are really supportive. After being here 6 months I got a free over night stay for me and my friend which is something everyone is allowed and all staff get really good discounts in the restaurants and the spa - which is amazing! I work full time and whats good about it is that being an F&B assistant you can move round the different departments so that's really good for job rotation and getting to know all the different teams. I hope to one day progress and be a manager, which I think is possible because of all the opportunities we get as staff.

Pros

friends & family rates, discount on food, pay scale

Cons

Long hours but this is fair enough in the hospitality industry and with Galgorm being so busy

Challenging beauty therapist role, intense work and long hours.

I was trained in massage and developed communication skills in consultation with the clients, determining the best beauty treatment or product for each individual.

Overwork and underpaid

I cant recomended this company for people who are looking for a job. Its hard job. Management dont respect employees. Management never said that employee do something good, all the time complain.

Pros

no time for brake

Cons

no overtimes. People are working 60 hours - underpaid

Interesting experience

lovely location, friendly colleagues every day is different so you are not bored long hours, mostly over the weekends quite a lot of lifting and carrying

N/a

A good business to work for. Long hours. Large client base. Large employee base. Employee pay scale sceme Large number of employees and fast turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Galgorm Collection. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement