GAME

GAME Employee Reviews

United Kingdom607 reviews

consolegamingchristmasdiscounttargetstoretillwhilst

Fun workplace, low salary

I've found GAME to be a pretty good company to work for. The atmosphere in store is always good and my colleagues are all lovely. My main issue with GAME is the salary.

Below Living Wage, Above Maximum Expectations.

Having worked for the company for a long time, in a few different stores I am confident in saying that the company does not treat its staff well. Since leaving for another job I have had less stress, more pay and less people shouting at me (customers and management.)As the years went by hours given to each store dropped further and further, in some stores they barely passed the contracted hours of staff. The managers that work in the store do not get full time hours averaging around 24 per week, and earn only between 20p and 60p more than sales assistants per hour.Expectations are a little insane, from receiving 3 pages of prices to change alongside a full store rejig, a visit from your cluster manager, 3 new game releases and 26 boxes of delivery with between 20 and 180 items in each, all requiring prices, security tags and seals and then somewhere to go (usually in the back as stores are vastly overstocked with items that nobody wants such as barbies, toys and old consoles), and all this must be done with only 3 members of staff in one day, a total of 20 hours of work, all while serving customers, running social media and answering calls.I had a lot of love for the job when I first joined, having moved up to management over nearly 11 years, and working in 4 or so different stores I've seen a lot there, but as time went on the business got more tight, began treating staff as disposable, and giving more thought about saving money by cutting hours than looking at fixing their poor choices in what they invest in (there are many MANY occasions of certain ranges stock being -

Pros

Staff discount, good for meeting new people, toughens you up

Cons

Low pay, inconsistent hours, high stress, no upward movement, rude and unappreciative customers/management

Insights into GAME

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Very great

Paid well no complaints really. The knowledge is what gets you in at the end of the day. We'll interviewed and placed with others that know what they're talking about

Good job little benefits

The work and the environment were great but the benefits and job security were lacking. Not enough hours for the number of staff. Good culture and work can be fun.

Fun job but comes with a lot of expectation and low pay :(

Most days are very boring as there is not many customers, Upper Management expect a lot from you regarding KPI's whilst giving little pay or motivation - Do not regard mental health seriously enough, nor appreciate the staff enough. Staff members who constantly under-perform and are lazy get treated better than those who work hard. Staff discount is great though and you get to make some amazing friends.

Pros

Great staff discount if you like collecting toys and playing games!

Cons

Expect a lot from you for very little pay, Mental health not taken seriously enough

Long, boring days

During the off season, days a long and monotonous. Pay is terrible. Management expect miracles from staff when the custom just isn't there, so you cannot hit targets set.

Poor workplace, poor training experience

Started off fun, but then got more and more stressful from new management, being taught a way to do a policy or procedure then another way gets you confused quite a bit.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Not enough hours, competitive rate

Great place for part time work but boring.

GAME is probably the perfect job for part time work. The hours are fairly flexible so if you're a student I'd most likely recommend it. It's as casual as a job can get.I worked at the Trafford Centre site which is the busiest site in the country. If that's the case, I'd hate to see what the other sites are like. Because when the store is quiet...it's very quiet. The store is only ever really busy on weekends and school holidays.When the store isn't busy, there is very little, if anything to do. At best, you'll make the store look presentable. Other than that, there is literally nothing. This can make shifts feel long and boring.Another con is just how outdated the till system is. The tills are around 20+ years old. So old, they run on Windows XP.They are not touch screen operated and require the use of hot keys to navigate around. This makes them incredibly complicated to use and will take weeks to fully understand how they operate.There's also a lot of target based selling such as disc care and the Elite Membership scheme. But there is literally zero incentive to ever try and sell these to customers as you'll never be rewarded in any manner.The team all got along and I was often amazed at how polite customers often were. (A rarity in retail work)On top of this you also get a decent 20% discount on all products.If you're young and looking for a relaxed job in retail then I couldn't recommend it enough. But if you're looking for progression and something a little more proactive, then avoid.

alright but not for the long run!

Liked working at game for the pay and benefits, as well as my coworkers. A lot of KPIs and extra products you needed to sell which was a little added stress to the job, especially when the commision is just miniscule points on your reward card. Higher management are a little shady and clique-y. Fun to work with games and consoles, and always good to get excited with customers. Terrible at christmas though.

Pros

hour breaks, benefits, close coworkers

Cons

management

Fine if you love gaming, not if you want decent pay and to be treated respectfully

Working at the GAME store in Birmingham is a very mixed bag, some days will be a lot more enjoyable than others. If you have a passion for gaming then you will enjoy most customer interactions, otherwise you'll be completely out of place. GAME is almost entirely targets based. You will be scolded/threatened with disciplinary action if you don't achieve EVERY KPI target in a week, even if you did amazing the previous week(s). Its minimum wage, and new staff are now on 0 hour contracts despite Frasers making hundreds of millions of pounds in profits. There is little respect within the company, having been there for 4 years now, being one of the top performers, and watching less experienced staff being promoted regardless of performance, but simply because they're liked more.That being said, the staff are what will make your shifts enjoyable. Co-workers love to have a chat and a bit of banter on shift, and I've made some great friends during my time with the company. However the managers themselves are different. Some of the managers I've worked with in Birmingham are arrogant, disrespectful, egotistical etc. There are still good managers who will treat you with respect and care about you, and all the managers will have your back when dealing with rude customers.If you love gaming, and have a lot of game knowledge, love customer interaction and don't care about being mistreated by higher ups, you'll do great. Otherwise avoid working for GAME.

There too long and happy to have left

I spent 6 years in GAME and, for the most part it was fine. However, once Frasers really got their teeth into the place it started to really go down hill and fast. Cutting hours and staff at every chance that they got to the point we had to point out they couldn't cut anymore as we needed more hours to forfill all the contracted hours we had in store, adding more and more needless tasks to the day to day running of the place that take up too much time and then moaning that we weren't making good money when we had no hours, no man power and no consoles to sell. And thats when they weren't closing stores down and putting up small, pointless GAMEs within a back corner of a Sports Direct or a HoF and then not supporting them at all only to then blame the staff for them making no money. If you are a Sales Assistant working a few days and hours a week (you'll only get a Zero Hour contract now!) then its fine. Go in, do the job, go home. Don't worry about the targets as no one else does as they are unreasonable. At one point I would say its a great 'My First Managers Role' but now I wouldn't even say that. Long hours, not many days off, covering other stores at a moments notice, staying late, starting early, needless tasks. What was once a pretty fun job become a nightmare and a low paying one of that. You get just 20p an hour more than a SA. 20p! And a lot more stress! I left the company now (and so have a lot of the people I once worked with and more are going and not being replaced) and went elsewhere. Only go for this if you really love gaming as the discount is about the only -

Over all good experience working at GAME. Other members of staff are helpful and you are trained properly on everything you need to know. If you get stuck, they are more than happy to help.

Was once a great job, but it's all gone downhill

If you're going for a sales assistant role, then the job is great. Good enough pay just to serve customers, trade-in stuff and deal with general customer based day-to-day jobs. Sure you have the occasional sales figures to hit, but it's not the end of the world if you don't hit them. If you're considering going for a assistant manager role, then I'd probably look elsewhere. You get a very minimal pay rise over the sales assistant pay but you have (what feels like) a million more jobs to do.It used to be a fun job but ever since the company was bought out, it feels like they've taken away everything that made it enjoyable.

Pros

20% discount at most Fraser group stores, the people you work with with

Cons

Never enough hours for all the jobs they give, pay far too low, more stressful than it's worth

Too target driven with no work-life balance

Good job if nothing else is available. Rubbish pay for Assistant Managers (just 20 pence more than a Sales Assistant). Too many targets, expected to up sell and attach on every transaction. Management unable to see the bigger picture with the decline of retail shipping in person. Expected to be able to drop plans on your days off to cover. Moving stores into concession stands in sports direct where you mostly work by yourself.

Okay company

Good if you're desperate, no chance of progression, pay is bad, management in shambles, too target driven, requirements for targets are viable in stores other than the centre on a regular and continuous basis

Staff fun

Staff fun company was not at the time not sure if it has changed now but not many hours available and the pay was pretty rubbish.

Fun

Very fun and friendly staffs, relax as well, you get to chat with each others all the time instead of those boring sales jobs. Manger are fun to work with.

Great fun

If you love working in a friendly environment - this is the perfect place to work. You'll make friends for life, no stresses as the team are always there to help.

Frustrating

Working for GAME is annoying as very annoying. As an avid GAMER, you'd think knowing about GAMES is a big part of it, but its not. All you tend to do is price games up and sort delivery. Then whenever the cluster manager shows up, they'll have a go at you because your kpi's aren't there and as an assistant manager, its on you to get your staff, who only work 4h a week to be enthusiastic and driven, so they get the kpis. They expect a fair amount from you as an assistant manager considering they pay nearly minimum wage for it. I wouldn't recommend working here.

Blockbusters 2.0

Every member of management worked for blockbusters and migrated over, so they're the people making decisions. Set unrealistic sales targets so they earn more commission whilst the staff don't earn any.

Monotonous and boring.

Originally worked for this company before they were bought out by Sports direct, before they were acquired they were a great company to work for with a great atmosphere. Since their acquisition, the company has gradually gone downhill, pay was weak.. working hours was low even as an assistant manager. When they moved my store inside a sports direct it got worse, stuck in a small back corner..barely acknowledged, the job title "assistant manager" was nothing more than a title as head office says due to being inside a sports direct store that we don't need sales assistants anymore (so who are we managing?!) Along with the fact we'd be lone working so it was rather socially isolating. Had little to no customers every day as Game itself wasn't advertised on the outside of the sports direct store it was in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAME. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare GAME with

• GAME
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?