GAME

GAME Employee Reviews

I worked for them in two separate stores, and boy were they different.My first store, I was made to feel welcome, but that didn't last long. They're so performance based, I was going through a severe family issue, yet I was the only person being hounded at about performance, whilst others were worse than me, and not being spoken to. Eventually they played me around that much that I left, and I feel like they wanted me to leave rather than "let me go" so they didn't look as bad.The second store on the otherhand, couldn't fault them, they believed my experience in my first store was down to bad management, and they did A LOT of things wrong. They were all friendly, praised me weekly, and made me feel like a part of the team.I was meant to be kept on, but due to the lockdown, my contract ended. Their wages are stingy, and hours are appauling and they're slowly making the perks worse.For anyone looking for a part time job, they're great. But I don't know how anyone can put up with a permanent job.
Pros
Work with likeminded people
Cons
Wage is minimum, you'll rarely get extra hours.
Poor management and atmosphere they expect everything from you and offer nothing in return. Management give great treatment if buddy up to them but if you just wish to get on and do a good job for the customers you will not have a good time avoid at all costs
Pros
Store discount
Cons
Clueless management structure as well as childish and unfriendly staff
Game has been declining for years. Mainly down to poor management structure and horrendously bad services. The regional managers have no common sense and each manager in the command chain give you different, and often contradictory intructions. Also the prices are the least competitive of any gaming retailer. I Worked for Game for roughly 8 years. In that time I did advance from seasonal cashier to assistant manager, but that was due to the support of my line manager. When Game decided to get rid of store managers to save money, my manager was made redundant. That was when I jumped ship.
Pros
Discounts on games/hardware.
Cons
No job security, Managers are condescending, clueless and contradict each other, Expected to perform additional work, out of hours for no extra pay, not financially sound, does not take care of long serving staff
You are treated awfully by upper management, the targets are unrealistic, the hour and contract security is non existent as they can decide at the drop of a hat to change every contract of every similar position in a company wide reshuffle as they did to me twice in 2020 alone, and twice previously since 2017 In addition, the staff are friendly in store and store management are decent but this doesn’t change the way the company operates, I was paid abysmally for the time I was there, for a manager I was on £8.61 an hour until March 2020 Where it was increased ‘exceptionally’ to £9.21, I moved to a new job where currently as a standard staff member I’m on £9.36 still in the customer service sector. The stress put upon you to perform at new release launches is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced, if you’ve ever been In a queue at GAME being asked for a million things, it’s all the higher ups that will discipline you heavily if you don’t perform, I honestly couldn’t recommend this job at any position to anybody. You will get nothing but stress from it
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Stress, Hugh expectation with VERY low pay compared to other places
They treat managers like absolute dirt. Underpaid and understaffed with the weight of the world on your shoulders with totally unrealistic deadlines.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
I’d avoid this company like the plague! There is no support for staff at all! I was a manager at game and the shocking work ethics and star of the store is concerning. It’s probably the worse company I’ve ever worked for. I wouldn’t even use this place as a temp measurement for getting by I’d rather be jobless!!
Pros
Non!
Cons
Bad ethics, no support, CEX is more cleaner than game stores.
Apart from staff discount at 20# and a nearby greggs that's all I can say. I likes dressing up as game characters and enjoy playing games and buy them and play them and trade them in when I want a new game to buy and play.
Pros
Sausage rolls nearby
Cons
No cons worked there
Depending on management depends on your experience. I had both fair management and management that expected you to focus on figures of sales far too much! Expected to reach rediclous targets and not taking things like mental health (social anxiety) in account when doing this; customers complained about the amount of things we had to ask but this didn't matter to the management that forced you to live and breathe figures. Management not listed to and tries to be friendly whilst condescending. Rotas were poorly done; too much staff on a Sunday shift when quiet and not enough experienced staff on launched or busy periods. Unless you want to go home worrying that you're going to go on a disciplinary for not selling enough , £1 disc care then don't work here. One plus is that the staff other then management can be friendly and find friends for life, good discount and repeat customers are also friendly.
Pros
Friendly regular customers, comfortable uniform, discount, good if good management
Cons
Poor rota, management unfair, when good managerr left, no store manager, so lower staff over stressed, as expected to step up and forced, figure focused
I worked at GAME part-time. I was fortunate to work with a fantastic group of people, but as soon as my colleagues left, the morale and overall quality of work went downhill. The job was very fast-paced and target focussed. If you have difficulty meeting your individual targets (5-10 of them), you can get pulled up by management. Hours and progression/guaranteed hours weren't as stable as other jobs; hours were given out based on your performances. If you were doing rubbish on your KPIs one week, the following week you would have fewer hours. My store manager was great. He was both a good boss and a friend; he understood that you were a human being and not just an employee. However, some of the other members of management showed favoritism (other staff members being promoted over those who were more qualified). Customers could be nice and sometimes would appreciate how far you would go to help them. However, they could also be very impatient, rude, and aggressive - something I witnessed on more than one occasion. I received several sexist comments from customers while working there and my colleagues had been shouted at if a game was out of stock. The job itself is fine for a temporary/part-time position, but I wouldn't recommend it full-time as the wage doesn't match the expectations of the job.
Pros
Great staff, fun environment, good discounts, good management
Cons
Fast-paced, unrealistic targets, low pay, rude customers
There are some good managers and some terrible managers in Game. Your experience will change depending on what your manager is like. I had roughly 6 different managers during my 5 years with the company. Some were great but some were terrible. Unfortunately if you have a bad manager there is nothing you can do about it as they don't make it easy to talk to anyone else. The Money is the biggest problem. You will be paid minimum wage and get no real benefits even though you are expected to constantly up-sell and make thousands and thousands of pounds a week for the company. The company know there will always be other young kids that want to work there so they don't care if you're unhappy with your pay. They know they can replace you even if it's with someone that can't sell. You are expected to up-sell and get Pre-orders on games but then you get nothing for it when you do it. It's fine for a weekend job if you're at school/college but if you need money to survive, don't bother working for Game. Don't get me wrong, i met some amazing people there but i also met some dodgy & lazy people. You are not looked after as a member of staff.
Pros
Occasionally get some free stuff
Cons
Pay is shocking as are the contracts they offer (4hrs)
I enjoyed working at Game. Management was understanding and approachable. It is small team In HR and people were helpful in other departments too. Lots of fun activities in the building area like gaming room n pool table. Relaxing environment.
Pros
Friendly
I enjoyed every minute of working here, I found it brilliant I would definitely recommend to anyone who's interested in working in a game retail, the staff were super helpful and friendly.
Pros
Fair pay, plenty of overtime, something diffrent every day
Cons
At a typical day of working at the Game Shop for Work Experience Placement, I would sort out video game cases, covers on shelves and put them in alphabetic order, to be nicely presented. The management at the shop was amazing. The workplace culture is good. There was no hard part of the job for Work Experience at all. The most enjoyable part of the job was allowing customers to have a try at the gaming experience of the PSVR and making customers participate in a FIFA competition to win prizes.
Pros
Relaxed, easy job.
Cons
I wasn't paid for the work experience period but it is understandable.
standard retail job, ordering stock, selling to customers tailoring your answers to their needs. constantly having to push our incentives which were game elite, reward cards and so forth.
Pros
easy job most of the time
Cons
very competitive, too sales driven and toxic work environment
Very friendly and helpful colleagues because they are welcoming and give you answers to questions you need to be answered on how to do tasks. They are also very approachable for any questions that you need to be answered.
A typical day consists of answering customer queries, serving, tidying the shop floor and keeping up to date with current developments in the gaming industry.
Do you love talking about games? Well don't expect that at Game. Expect to be working for a corporation that puts sales targets ahead of customer satisfaction. Expect a boss who keeps making mistakes with customers purchases and somehow isn't in on the days that the annoyed customers come in. Expect to have to push game insurance, accessory insurance and console insurance onto every purchase that your customers make. Expect to be treated like dirt. Expect to never be listened to when you make suggestions to improve efficiency. Expect to see head office price second hand games higher than new games, yet make you as a sales assistant feel responsible for the store not making enough profit (they make more profit on the second hand games). Expect to be working for a company that is clearly going out of business because it can't keep up with modern expectations or do anything sensibly or logically. Expect to be disappointed because you thought this job would be fun.
GAME as an employer is not the best, with sick pay being an ordeal to obtain, HR being absent from most complaints and the higher ups being non present aside from to tell staff off for slipping on their figures slightly. And minimum wage is less than ideal However, the community of employees are wonderful and some of the nicest people I have ever met and I absolutely adore working here. The customers (for the most part) are great and if you know your games then you'll have a blast working here.
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Bad pay for hard work and few advancement opportunities
Not for the faint hearted. Fast paced, competitive and stressful environment sometimes esp during peak times. There ARE daily targets, you will be expected to meet them, you will be judged and "managed"/ "Coached" if you don't. I enjoyed my experience as I thrive in that environment.
There were always last minute tasks coming down from head office as well as the general tasks, so some days were far more reactive than others. There were also a large range of customers so one conversation was never the same as the next.
What makes the job enjoyable is the staff members and working with products that genuinely peak your interest. Helping customers find what they're looking for can also be greatly satisfying, however, due to the gaming industry being largely overlooked by a large population of shoppers, disrespect can occur.
  1. Employee reviews