GB Railfreight

GB Railfreight Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom16 reviews

Productive place

Great company to work for but the pay could be better . Good stepping stone into the railway. Company is growing, seems to have good career prospects.

Pros

Good prospects

Cons

Pay could be better

Racists

They got rid of me because I was on medication. Unless your one of them they don't like you. Very hard on staff. Far better rail companies to work for.

Brilliant place to work.

Brilliant company to work for. MD is a fantastic bloke who is very pro his staff. Can always improve but not much not to like. Rosters are always an issue but you get paid very well ro deal with that.

Pros

Loads of time off

Cons

Long shifts

Great comradeship..

Good emphasis on on staff wellbeing an example being was when a task over- ran and you had to stay on at short notice, there was genuine concern from duty manager that you were ok to do so with an expression of gratitude.There was always someone willing to help you along if you hit the buffers (no pun intended).Going out of your way to help colleges get the job do in safe and efficient way gave me a good feeling of well-being and job satisfaction..

Pros

Great personnel.

Cons

Unsociable hours.

Gb job

Generally was a good job trained as a shunter, having come from a railway background found it easy adapting over to a more dangerous side of the railway, Training was good the benefits were excellent lots of benefits for family men, Management weren't always available and found a lot of fellow colleagues not always trustworthy having to watch what you say, when I left I felt poorly treated compared to some of my colleagues

Family oriented company with benefits

My typical day at gb Railfreight is always competitive, there are always new challenges as the job gets more competitive each day. The management team are always on hand to assist in any problems that may arise. I have learnt new skills while I have been with GBRF Railfreight, I have become an assessor and mentor and I am always asked by management to help out any new recruits. The hardest part of my job is to ensure all trains run on time so not to encure fines for late departure of trains. The most rewarding part of my job is when a new recruit passes out to become a shunter and can do their job successfully.

Awful company

Company has grown too fast with many of the management knowing very little of the railway. The first time you say ‘no’ you are no longer the managers ‘best friend’ Smoke and mirrors 😢

Pros

Those that are 150% committed will enjoy.

Cons

100% commitment isn’t enough

Great management staff are brilliant

Work life balance can be challenging but Overhall the holiday is great the pay is great. The management are brilliant always willing to help each other

Pros

Pay management holiday

Cons

Rosters are not out soon enough

Demanding hours and substandard pension!

They pay well, but you are expected to let the company dictate your life patterns. Management is hit and miss, and advancement is available to those who have a face that fits... Not the worst outfits t, but they do certainly have room for improvement!

Pros

Bonus, Annualised Hours

Cons

Long shifts, clueless rostering, few conditions, weak union presence

Innovative Business in Complex Industry

Like most of the railway it can feel chaotic when your at the sharp end in daily operations. what sets GB apart is the culture they have of everyone helping each other and everyone from director to intern having time for you to answer questions and support you. The hours can sometimes be brutal however and this does affect your home life, but they also throw great events and are generous with their employees in terms of a benefits package. work hard, play hard is the motto.

Pros

Treated like an adult

Cons

Long Hours

Okayish

So far, I am training as a Rail Operator. However, the organization has been rickety so far due to an expansion of the business and thus, contact with management has only been recent, and following up on communications have sometimes been slow. However, the company overall has their heart in the right place, and seem to progress the right people really swiftly; especially if train driving is the goal for someone.

A place to work hard and play hard!

The hours can be demanding, but the pay is good, and I find the management to be very approachable. Work/life balance can be challenging, but it goes with the territory!

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Tough rostering

Varied interesting place to work.

Great experience working on the cross rail project, which involved working with a wide variety of people on a range of tasks. I enjoyed undertaking many different administration activities. This gave lots of challenges in terms of meeting deadlines and delivering work for a range of people.

Pros

Experience on the cross rail project

Cons

Commuting

A brilliant company to work for.......

A brilliant company to work for. Highly recommended. Superb atmosphere and a great company ethos. Varied workload with continuous daily challenge. 5 star.

intense but fun

ITs a very, very fluid workplace. Jobs can change day to day, shifts are very fluid. However, it is a very innovative, forward thinking company with excellent benefits.

Pros

their core values

Cons

irregular, unplannable shifts

Great working environment, working as a team with great co-workers and management, No day was ever a chore, good working atmosphere and team ethos.

Typical day was a 12 hour shift working both days and nights,working as a rail operative transporting molten iron and steel slabs at the SSI Steel Plant in Redcar. I learned many new skills whilst working here and gained qualifications in driving both Di8 and GEC locomotives in both manual and remote control. Other skills i gained were carrying out shunting movements, correct radio protocol and working in a safety critical environment. I also gained my full PTS (Personal Track Safety) whilst working here which can be transferred to other rail yards or mainline work. Management at GBRF were superb always available whenever you needed anything and were very fair with everyone. I had a fantastic relationship with my managers. Co-workers were a great set of lads to work with and made a 12 hour shift pass very quickly. I've worked alongside many people at GBRF and I feel privileged I got the opportunity to work alongside them and made a lot of good friends there. Hardest part of the job was probably the heat working around the furnace in thick PPE clothing that was a bit uncomfortable in the summer but apart from that there wasn't anything that made the job hard. Most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside your colleagues and working as part of a team,

Pros

Great Bonus and Incentives

Cons

n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GB Railfreight. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement